GF for Kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgmaya

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

One of my children has Ceiliac, and I struggle a bit finding kid-friendly recipes that are also GF. I've been able to adapt things like standard chicken finger recipes and pasta dishes with GF Flour/breadcrumbs but ya'all know how expensive that is!

He has a twin sister who is not C but I feed them the same things so I try to make it as appetizing as possible.

Any suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi. I would take this as an opportunity to emphasize foods that are already gluten-free, like rice and corn. Thai rice noodles with peanut sauce are delicious. Here's one recipe I like (she uses spaghetti; just sub rice noodles): http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe/chicken-satay-noodle-salad/

Or lettuce wraps: http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe/thai-glazed-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

You could also make quesadillas with corn tortillas. Describe it to them as Mexican grilled cheese [emoji2] You can fill them with anything. I like to cut up extra pork chops or chicken, toss them with a little salsa, then make quesadillas with cheese and some kind of vegetable.

Chicken fingers don't have to be breaded. They're also good marinated, grilled or broiled, and served with a dipping sauce.

Hope this helps [emoji2]

There is bean brownies that are amazing. I dont have the recipe here, just google.

You can also use Almond flour , Oat ( but it has to be milled with only oat), corn flour , Buckwheat flour ( not wheat, it realated to rhubarb) , durra and Teff is also gluten free.

Thank you! yes, corn tortillas are a lifesaver. And that's so funny you mention the peanut sauce I was just thinking about trying that out with them. They both have autism, so they can get "stuck in their ways" with food- I generally try to build on what they already like (sometimes incrementally LOL) But just really trying to avoid the burnout on favorites that marked their earlier years.

Those lettuce wraps are a FANTASTIC idea, thank you! We definitely have good luck with things that come in small portions that they feel are "kid sized" I can't wait to try those out.

You can also bread chicken in gluten free cornflakes, just crush them up fine.

Hi All,

One of my children has Ceiliac, and I struggle a bit finding kid-friendly recipes that are also GF. I've been able to adapt things like standard chicken finger recipes and pasta dishes with GF Flour/breadcrumbs but ya'all know how expensive that is!

He has a twin sister who is not C but I feed them the same things so I try to make it as appetizing as possible.

Any suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Welcome to DC tgmaya!

Why don't you let us all know what foods the kidos like and then I know that there are so many folks here that could help you to adapt to a GF version.
What else besides Chicken Fingers will they eat?
Our nephew is also autistic and gets "stuck" on things, but he's very easily redirected.

Oh wow these are all great suggestions.

So right now we do tacos,
quesadillas with chicken bacon etc,
hamburgers/hot dogs (although these i have to do sparingly)
one will eat mac and cheese, one won't.
I've had decent success with chicken and meatball parm,
vodka sauce, and meat/marinara sauce are good but alfredo did not work out.
Both kids love tomatoes and bacon as well.

I'm noticing it does help when they can help assemble the food, like make your own pizza or taco they seem to do well with taking ownership of their creations.

But I guess I'm just trying to keep variance because they do tire of things.

Gosh talking to you guys is so helpful, I guess when I think about cooking for the family in the abstract it seems such an undertaking but now that we're here discussing it it feels more manageable.

I'm very excited to try those wrappers. I'm loving all of these ideas.

Back
Top Bottom