"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 09-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gravy Thickener

Hi All,

My daughter has coeliac disease. I have been trying to find a way to thicken chicken gravy and make it a nice dark colour. I would normally use cornflour, but that makes the gravy rather pale. In our part of the world - Northern Ireland you can get small sachets of gluten free gravy powder, but they only thicken about half a pint of gravy at a time, so you have to buy them every time you're going to make some gravy. I did read somewhere about browning cornflour in a saucepan, then using that in the normal way. I tried out the idea and it worked well at first, but after that it was difficult to blend the browned cornflour with water and the results were not as good.

Anyone got an alternative suggestion?

Thanks.

Gillian

Old 09-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Master Chef

I would try starting with a dark chicken or turkey stock. It can be made ahead and stored in the freezer. When you need gravy thaw a package of the dark broth and thicken it with a slurry of corn starch. This is one example, you will find many others on the internet.

Brown Chicken Stock Recipe - Bon Appétit

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Check your grocery store for Kitchen Bouquet. It is a browning sauce, usually found here in the area where packaged/ bottled gravy sauces are located. Also check Asia food aisle, I think there are some brown sauces ( not soy sauce) that are used in Chinese type dishes too.

I haven't used any of these products, so I don't know how good they are.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Check your grocery store for Kitchen Bouquet. It is a browning sauce, usually found here in the area where packaged/ bottled gravy sauces are located. Also check Asia food aisle, I think there are some brown sauces ( not soy sauce) that are used in Chinese type dishes too.

I haven't used any of these products, so I don't know how good they are.
Like Whisk says....not sure if you have Kitchen Bouquet in Northern Ireland, but for darkening up your gravy (it won't thicken it), it's worth a try. A little goes a long way though, so just use a couple of drops at a time. It looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	23361  
Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

I use Gravy Master to darken my gravy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	23362  
Old 09-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Make sure your heat is on low. After you brown the corn flour, add the water just a very small bit at a time. stir it well and don't add anymore until it is well blended. At first the corn flour and water will be thick. But as you continue to add water, little by little, it will loosen up until it is at your desired thickness. Now providing you have a gravy coloring such as the two posts above, then add that.

Browning flour is a very common manner to make gravy. I have a girlfriend who browns about two or three cups of flour at one time. Then she keeps it in the fridge for later use. She too has the same health problem in her family. So she makes two gravies. She also uses Better Than Bullion for additional flavor. I don't know if you have that available to you there. It is a flavor enhancer. Since it came on our market, anyone who knows about it will never go back to bullion cubes.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:33 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Better than Bouillon is actually a stock concentrate rather than a flavor enhancer.

I've read that Kitchen Bouquet has gluten in it, so that might not be a good option. If you can get sweet rice flour, that would work better for browning and making a roux.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #8
Master Chef

From what I have read Kitchen Bouquet went gluten free in 2006. It's always good to keep checking and reading those labels to be sure it has not changed.

Another possibility would be to caramelize onions until they are nice and dark to make a gluten free version of sticky onion gravy.

Rich Onion Gravy Sauce Recipe
Old 09-04-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
Master Chef

I've heard of people using Arrow root in place of flour. Also what about rice flour?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Add powdered gelatin to the gravy. Try to get gelatine made from grass fed beef. Knox gelatin is made mostly from pork bones. which is fine but bones from beef that was 100% pasture raised is my preference.
Gelatin is very good for us humans. Google the health benefits.
Corn starch and 'real' arrowroot powder react very differently when used in cooking.
Google has lots of info as to which one is the better choice given the food they are being used with.
If the gravy I'm making wasn't as dark as I like I'd sometimes use a little oyster sauce.
I use a little anchovy paste in every beef dish I make. Think anchovy>oysters. The suggestion of shellfish compliments beef dishes very well. Just the slightest suggestion.
I learned this tip many years ago from a classically trained French chef.

Tags
gravy