I need to flavor noodles w/out using dairy or gluten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
My son has celiac and can't have gluten (wheat, oats, barley, rye) or dairy foods. His foods get a little bland and boring. What can I use besides spaghetti sauce to flavor his noodles?

dill weed, caraway seed ground,cumin ground, lemon juice,balsamic vinegar,apple cider. Salt and fresh ground black pepper, Chile powder. soy sauce. Use in any combinations that strike your fancy

I make a lot of sauces with ground cashews. Nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor with out dairy. What about beans? Chickpeas, black beans, etc? Here's a blog that might be interesting: Gluten Free Goddess

I think OP's son is a little boy... spicy foods might not be his forte just yet...

How about adding some chicken bouillon to the cooking water? That would add lots of flavor to plain noodles. I know my grands all love plain noodles...

Peanut sauce

Do you give him rice and potatoes, too? Potato salad (mayo-based, or vinegar-based, if he'll eat it), all kinds of gravies, mild curries. Does he like hot foods? Some children do :) Might be a good time to introduce them to him slowly.

There are a lot of blogs that specialize in gluten-free recipes. Karina's mentioned above is a very good one. Here are some more:

ETA: Just found this: The Gluten-Free Week A whole week's worth of menus! HTH :)

I think OP's son is a little boy... spicy foods might not be his forte just yet...
Do not dismiss spicy foods just because he is a little boy. While it is true lots of kids do not a lot of kids like spicy (just like adults) there are plenty who do. My daughter eats fresh grated horseradish like it is ice cream.

These ideas are great! He does like spicy food, btw. I craved hot wings while pregnant si he was sure to. :)

There isn't anything you can't throw on a noodle. The entire town of Cincinatti is right there with you.

I posted another idea on your profile with a note, but thought I would add here you can make a "gravy" or sauce out of chicken or beef stock and GF corn starch (not modified) or tapioca starch and any flavourings you want such as mushrooms or vegetables he likes.

A good way to bring flavour into the pasta is to heat the cooked (and well rinsed) pasta in the sauce before serving. My husband prefers it this way because the noodles taste better.

Sorry, JP, just realized you suggested the same thing!

Jeekins, egg noodles contain flour. So far I haven't seen a rice noodle version of egg noodles, but who knows......

Sorry, JP, just realized you suggested the same thing!

Jeekins, egg noodles contain flour. So far I haven't seen a rice noodle version of egg noodles, but who knows......

That's what I was thinking as well. What kind of noodles are being fed to the boy? If they're "macaroni", those all contain flour. Rice noodles, on the other hand, are ok. How about bean thread noodles may be acceptable, you'd have to check the ingredients on the package.

Both of those are Asian. I would suggest doing a lot of Asian recipes.

Hey, I get these when I want to whip up a quick meal. They are really good. You may be able to find them in your area, I have to order mine online as I can't find them here.

Back
Top Bottom