"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Making Sandwich Bread

Ok, I'm going to pop off with my first question! I want to be able to make a loaf of sandwich bread that holds together and doesn't taste like cardboard. I researched blending my own flours and made up a blend of Potato Starch , Tapicoa Flour and Brown Rice Flour. It's a recipe from King Arthur's Site. I tried it on a recipe today and ended up with a very liquid dough, so I added another 3/4 cup of flour. After I had it in the loaf pan to rise, I thought what about putting baking soda and baking powder in it? The mix I got the recipe from already had it in there. So I researched really quick and got a measurement of each per cup of flour and dumped the pan out and added it. I knew for sure this was going to be a bad deal but what the heck. I let it rise again and cooked it. The crust came out really delicious and the bread wasn't that bad. Shocked me! My question is when you blend your own all purpose GF flours, how do you know what else to add like baking soda and baking powder and how much? I would really enjoy advice from someone who knows how to cook bread :)
Then we'll work on biscuits YEAH

Old 01-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

River Rose, I can only think of one regular on this forum who bakes gluten-free sometimes and she's not on every day (LPBeier). Hopefully she'll come by and see your question. If not, you could try sending her a private message.

Tags
bread, sandwich