"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,177
Potato pizza

Caught this recipe on Best Recipes Ever (Canadian Living). She used russet potatoes. It is gluten-free.

Potato Pizza - Best Recipes Ever
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,306
That is a very interesting twist on pizza!
Gotta try it!
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,393
I'm sorry, she can call it whatever she wants, but that's not pizza
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm sorry, she can call it whatever she wants, but that's not pizza

+1. Just because it's flat and round, that doesn't make it a pizza.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
That's an interesting twist. I would try it.

For years at our state fair here, there was a vendor who sold potato pizza. It was the epitome of starchy goodness and always a perennial favorite (although I didn't see them this year) but their product was potatoes ON a pizza crust, not a pizza crust made from potatoes.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
That's an interesting twist. I would try it.

For years at our state fair here, there was a vendor who sold potato pizza. It was the epitome of starchy goodness and always a perennial favorite (although I didn't see them this year) but their product was potatoes ON a pizza crust, not a pizza crust made from potatoes.
When DH was a teenager, he was an exchange student in Finland, up near the Arctic Circle, for three weeks. He says they served potatoes morning, noon and night - hashed, mashed, bashed, gashed, you name it He got so tired of potatoes that one day, he asked the mother to make a pizza. He had to describe how to make it. He was so excited. And then - you guessed it - she put potatoes on the pizza! I'm sure he ate his fill when he got home.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When DH was a teenager, he was an exchange student in Finland, up near the Arctic Circle, for three weeks. He says they served potatoes morning, noon and night - hashed, mashed, bashed, gashed, you name it He got so tired of potatoes that one day, he asked the mother to make a pizza. He had to describe how to make it. He was so excited. And then - you guessed it - she put potatoes on the pizza! I'm sure he ate his fill when he got home.
LOL

That's a good story!
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,177
It may not be a traditional pizza, but for gluten-intolerant folks (and that is where I posted the link) who struggle with making a gluten-free pizza dough, it is an interesting twist. One could probably do this "crust" with zucchini, sweet potatoes, or carrots. Also, for vegetarians, it is another option. I never said it was pizza. Canadian Living/Best Recipes Ever called it pizza <g>.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...I never said it was pizza. Canadian Living/Best Recipes Ever called it pizza <g>.
The title of this thread is "Potato Pizza" Wasn't it you that did that?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The title of this thread is "Potato Pizza" Wasn't it you that did that?
I was quoting the copyrighted title of what it was called on the show. But, it did catch your eye so you checked it out. I only thought to share it because DC has a gluten-free forum and thought it might be of interest (also DC vegetarians). And those challenged by making pizza dough. Just a mind stretcher. Scenario: Want pizza, snowed in, don't have yeast/time to make pizza dough--have to feed the woodstove and shovel the driveway, I'm hungry, and I have everything else, including potatoes--maybe this will fill the spot.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I was quoting the copyrighted title of what it was called on the show. But, it did catch your eye so you checked it out. I only thought to share it because DC has a gluten-free forum and thought it might be of interest (also DC vegetarians). And those challenged by making pizza dough. Just a mind stretcher. Scenario: Want pizza, snowed in, don't have yeast/time to make pizza dough--have to feed the woodstove and shovel the driveway, I'm hungry, and I have everything else, including potatoes--maybe this will fill the spot.
Enjoy your potatoes.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Enjoy your potatoes.
Given that I rarely eat bread...and we'll be harvesting the potatoes soon, I might just have to give this a whirl.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,757
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Can you pick up the pieces to eat it like pizza?

I would think one could make a crust using mashed potatoes and cheese and/or egg.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,258
Can't you make the crust with potato flour? I think that is gluten free.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Can you pick up the pieces to eat it like pizza?

I would think one could make a crust using mashed potatoes and cheese and/or egg.
She sliced it on the show and served it as "pizza." She didn't actually pick it up and eat it. Probably need to use a knife and fork.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Can't you make the crust with potato flour? I think that is gluten free.
Most likely can, but don't you have to add things when making a gluten-free dough to make it rise, stick together, etc.? I am not gluten-intolerant and have (fortunately) not had many guests who are--when I have, I have gone with vegetarian, no bread or use rice cakes / wrappers.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,396
It would be great if I could figure out how to get this directly on a hot pizza stone.
__________________
My blog http://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Most likely can, but don't you have to add things when making a gluten-free dough to make it rise, stick together, etc.? I am not gluten-intolerant and have (fortunately) not had many guests who are--when I have, I have gone with vegetarian, no bread or use rice cakes / wrappers.
I'm not sure if adding yeast to a gluten free flour would make it rise. On one of my business trips to Antibes, I had a "pizza" that had a really thin crust that was done in a wood burning, outdoor oven. Almost cracker like. I doubt it was a yeast dough. I was thinking more along the lines of a tortilla like crust, which would have to be pre-baked.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
It would be great if I could figure out how to get this directly on a hot pizza stone.
Can you put oiled/greased parchment paper on a stone? She oiled a pizza pan before she put the potatoes on the pan and then put it in the oven.

Had I known posting the link would generate so many comments/questions, I would have paid more attention to the show and less attention to my emails!

But, if you email the show, I bet they will get back to you. I emailed asking that they provide nutritional information on the web site, and they eventually did. There is a contact link on the web site, give it a try and let us know! The host is a skilled professional chef, so she should be able to figure it out for you!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Can you put oiled/greased parchment paper on a stone? She oiled a pizza pan before she put the potatoes on the pan and then put it in the oven.

Had I known posting the link would generate so many comments/questions, I would have paid more attention to the show and less attention to my emails!

But, if you email the show, I bet they will get back to you. I emailed asking that they provide nutritional information on the web site, and they eventually did. There is a contact link on the web site, give it a try and let us know! The host is a skilled professional chef, so she should be able to figure it out for you!
You can put unoiled parchment paper on a baking stone. No-knead bread recipes sometimes call for that.

Btw, I said "she" can call it pizza if she wants - did not say you said it. Also, the recipe headnote calls it a knife-and-fork pizza.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pizza, potato

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×