"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 09-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Couch View Post
gluten free stuff does not taste as good as regular baked goods. i think it's not a good idea to expect everyone to eat gluten free just because you do.

it's also about 20 times more expensive.
I don't eat white sugar. When I host friends, I cook the way I eat. If I know someone has certain dietary restrictions, I'll flex my cooking brain to come up with something that can be enjoyed by all. I think that is a sign of a good host/hostess, to make sure that the food chosen and prepared is, IMO, being a gracious and considerate host. Obviously, s/one with food restrictions is going to have ingredients in the house that may be specific to that person's needs. I think it would be silly to prepare a bunch of food the hostess should not eat.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I don't eat white sugar. When I host friends, I cook the way I eat. If I know someone has certain dietary restrictions, I'll flex my cooking brain to come up with something that can be enjoyed by all. I think that is a sign of a good host/hostess, to make sure that the food chosen and prepared is, IMO, being a gracious and considerate host. Obviously, s/one with food restrictions is going to have ingredients in the house that may be specific to that person's needs. I think it would be silly to prepare a bunch of food the hostess should not eat.
A gracious host would have both their own foods and something to meet the needs of the guests. If I know someone has a nut allergy, I would make sure all peanut butter was out of the house. It is the nice thing to do.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A gracious host would have both their own foods and something to meet the needs of the guests. If I know someone has a nut allergy, I would make sure all peanut butter was out of the house. It is the nice thing to do.
+1 I totally agree. When I invite people over, I want to make sure that what I offer is something my guests want to eat and the meal is a pleasurable experience. The nicest compliment I've ever received was that a meal at my house was like eating at a fine restaurant. I do cater to my guests. If I know someone doesn't like cilantro, I don't include that in any dishes. If I know s/one doesn't eat white flour and I want to serve a dish that includes a pastry shell, I will make it with whole wheat or chick pea flour. I can cook for myself the rest of the time--but when I invite friends for a meal, I want to make sure that what they are served is something they will enjoy. It just seems like the right thing to do. Otherwise, I would spring for a meal at a restaurant where they could order what they like.

When I hosted the DH's b'day party, I had 5 guests who were vegetarians. Other than the hamburgers and kimchee, everything was vegetarian. And, I made sure that I didn't use CI pans that had been used to prepare meat to cook the vegetarian burgers. Not a big deal. But my friends who are strict vegetarians thanked me. One of them told me it is so hard for them to go to BBQs and other dinners where people don't take into account their beliefs or how they eat. For me, it was easy. I asked in advanced how to accommodate their dietary needs and that was it. Once she told me, I had no problem incorporating that into what was served.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
+1 I totally agree. When I invite people over, I want to make sure that what I offer is something my guests want to eat and the meal is a pleasurable experience. The nicest compliment I've ever received was that a meal at my house was like eating at a fine restaurant. I do cater to my guests. If I know someone doesn't like cilantro, I don't include that in any dishes. If I know s/one doesn't eat white flour and I want to serve a dish that includes a pastry shell, I will make it with whole wheat or chick pea flour. I can cook for myself the rest of the time--but when I invite friends for a meal, I want to make sure that what they are served is something they will enjoy. It just seems like the right thing to do. Otherwise, I would spring for a meal at a restaurant where they could order what they like.
And it was a mighty fine wholewheat crust. The whole meal was delish.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And it was a mighty fine wholewheat crust. The whole meal was delish.
+1 and it was my pleasure. Not a "what will I make!!!!" issue. I too enjoyed it. But, I think it was more the company and conversation more than it was the meal.

Tags
dough

« Potato pizza | Teff »