"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Cook

Softening Pineapple

Can anyone tell me the best way to soften pineapple please?

Most Friday or Saturday nights my daughter has gf sweet and sour chicken with chips from our local gf-friendly Chinese restaurant. The dish usually includes onions, carrots and pineapple, but she stopped asking for the onions and carrots, due to problems with swallowing hard food. Now she's also having problems with the pineapple. I don't want to be asking for no pineapple either, so was wondering if there was some way we could soften the pineapple. I have tried heating them in their sauce on the hob, but it makes little difference.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Gillian

GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
Can anyone tell me the best way to soften pineapple please?

Most Friday or Saturday nights my daughter has gf sweet and sour chicken with chips from our local gf-friendly Chinese restaurant. The dish usually includes onions, carrots and pineapple, but she stopped asking for the onions and carrots, due to problems with swallowing hard food. Now she's also having problems with the pineapple. I don't want to be asking for no pineapple either, so was wondering if there was some way we could soften the pineapple. I have tried heating them in their sauce on the hob, but it makes little difference.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Gillian
My first question would be why is she having trouble swallowing? That can be caused by a medical problem that can be treated. Rather than restricting her food intake, I would suggest trying to figure out what the problem is.

Pineapple has a high fiber content, so the only way to soften it would be cooking it for a very long time, unless you want to buzz it in the food processor to make the pieces smaller.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Cook

It is caused by a medical problem, which is taking a while to get treated - long story. I'm just trying to make things easier for her in the meantime.

Gillian
Old 03-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Cooked veggies/pineapple will soften with cooking.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe you could ask the restaurant to prepare her vegetables extra well-cooked; the vegetables are usually cooked separately from the chicken. Or maybe you could buzz the vegetables briefly in a blender or food processor to break them down a little.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was thinking the same thing, GG. Maybe kind of a pineapple smoothie. Or pineapple jam. It's already cut into small pieces and softened by the canning process.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I was thinking the same thing, GG. Maybe kind of a pineapple smoothie. Or pineapple jam. It's already cut into small pieces and softened by the canning process.
Yes, and that way, she could continue to get the onions and maybe the carrots, to get a little more nutrition.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Would a smaller dice be easier for her to swallow?

If it is a small mom and pop restaurant, maybe you can talk to the chef/cook and explain your situation, and they can dice the pineapple smaller for your daughter. Onions and carrots, too.

I sure hope her medical treatment is successful, so she can eat what she wants, again, as soon as possible.

CD
Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

softening pineapple

I have recently canned some pineapple. One of the steps during this is to Blanch the pineapple. Blanching pineapple will soften the fibers in it. For my purposes, blanching it for 5 minutes softens them up. This simply means putting pineapple in a pot and cover it with water. Heat it up to boiling and let it boil for 5 minutes and remove it from heat and then cool the pineapple in cold water. I do that by dipping it out into another pot and running cold water over it and draining the cold water off it.
pmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
Cook

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried cooking the pineapple a little bit longer but it doesn't make a lot of difference. Taking time to bizz it with a blender to me takes away from the convenience idea. I'm not sure if my daughter could manage the veg and pineapple in smaller chunks or not. I could certainly ask her. I just ask for less pineapple than they would normally put in.

The restaurant is reasonably small and they know me there, but I imagine cooking the veg and pineapple for extra time for my daughter would mean us having to wait a little bit longer for it. I could certainly talk to them about it as they are very pleasant. As soon as I walk in they ask, 'Usual?' or even just 'Anything else?' lol.

Gillian

Tags
apple, pineapple