"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Teff

"The Food Programme" (BBC Radio 4) today was all about Teff, which is a gluten free grain suitable for Coeliacs. It;s approved by Coeliac Societies in Britain and Ireland and according to the programme, it's available on NHS prescription for coeliacs in the UK.

Apparently, it makes flatbreads that taste a bit like sourdough and it comes as breakfast cereals too.

I expect I'm "trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs" but I thought it was interesting enough to post here.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have had the flat bread made of teff in an Ethiopian resto. Very interesting flavour and texture. It went very well with the food. I haven't had it in several years because that resto closed.

We used to order stuff served like this. You can see the rolls of flat bread and it probably lines the serving dish. You can also see people picking up the food with the flat bread.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_cuisine

Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's more info on it:

Eragrostis tef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one thought I had was that if follows quinoa in trendiness, it will impact the diet of Ethiopians. In South America, the price and availability of quinoa, a staple in the diet of thousands, has made it too expensive for many--more profitable to export it to Europe and NA. This has meant that there has been a rise in the consumption of inexpensive packaged / processed foods in SA. I guess I'll stick with naked oats--grown here in Canada. Although, if I see some, I might just have to try it, just once.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Here's more info on it:

Eragrostis tef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one thought I had was that if follows quinoa in trendiness, it will impact the diet of Ethiopians. In South America, the price and availability of quinoa, a staple in the diet of thousands, has made it too expensive for many--more profitable to export it to Europe and NA. This has meant that there has been a rise in the consumption of inexpensive packaged / processed foods in SA. I guess I'll stick with naked oats--grown here in Canada. Although, if I see some, I might just have to try it, just once.
"The Food Programme" covered that. There's an Ethiopian ban on the export of Teff. The Ethiopians learned a hard lesson when they listened to "experts" from the west who "persuaded" them to abandon Teff for maize which sparked off the Ethiopian famine.

Teff is being grown several states in the USA eg Oregon, Nevada, Kansas and Iowa. It's a very hardy crop (but it doesn't like frost) and in the right conditions will produce 4 crops a year. It also produces "hay" for animal feed - llamas and alpacas, apparently, like it better than grass hay.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
"The Food Programme" covered that. There's an Ethiopian ban on the export of Teff. The Ethiopians learned a hard lesson when they listened to "experts" from the west who "persuaded" them to abandon Teff for maize which sparked off the Ethiopian famine.

Teff is being grown several states in the USA eg Oregon, Nevada, Kansas and Iowa. It's a very hardy crop (but it doesn't like frost) and in the right conditions will produce 4 crops a year. It also produces "hay" for animal feed - llamas and alpacas, apparently, like it better than grass hay.

Fascinating. I live in the Heartland, in farm country, and have never heard of Teff. I'll have to look for it!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

I wonder if they bothered to teach the Ethiopians to nixtamalize the maize. If not, it is deficient in Niacin.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I read a bunch of stuff about Teff today, including how the government wanted to double the export of Teff by 2015. And yadda, yadda, yadda, schools would be built, etc. The problem I have with that is feed your own first, export the rest. For the 20% of under 5s who are under nourished, a school built with a lunch program is not going to happen this year, or next, or the next. Encourage the farmers to produce more, pay them a fair rate, and any excess, after the 20% of under 5s are no longer suffering from malnutrition, then export that.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

that's the sound my cat makes when he sneezes.

come to think of it, dw too.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
Head Chef

Etiquette tip for some countries. Dont forget to pick up food with your right hand only.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

which countries? that's nothing to sneeze at...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote