Xanthan gum and flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to convert some standard baking recipes to gluten free, specifically muffins. My first batch came out too dry, and I was wondering if that had anything to do with my addition of xanthan gum. I used 1 tsp per cup of flour. (I weighed my flour first) Would I need to up the liquid somewhat? Also, I'm confused by the supposed weight of all purpose flour. Some sources say 1 C = 140 grams and others say 125 grams and I know I've seen other measures. What works?

I'm trying to convert some standard baking recipes to gluten free, specifically muffins. My first batch came out too dry, and I was wondering if that had anything to do with my addition of xanthan gum. I used 1 tsp per cup of flour. (I weighed my flour first) Would I need to up the liquid somewhat? Also, I'm confused by the supposed weight of all purpose flour. Some sources say 1 C = 140 grams and others say 125 grams and I know I've seen other measures. What works?

For muffins use 1/2 the amount your using. 1/2 tsp per cup of flour. For bread and pizza dough use 1 tsp per cup of flour.

I'm playing with different blends. I often use a blend of sorghum flour, brown rice flour and tapioca flour. Also use Pamela's all purpose gluten-free.

They all have different weights, so it would be tough to give you a fits-all weight, especially since I don't know how much of each you use in your blends. Best idea is to sift your blend, spoon it inot a dry measuring cup and then weigh that. Use that weight every time. I would have to research Pamela's online, I don't recognize that brand name.

I was speaking strictly of the weight of all purpose wheat flour. Some sources say 1 C = 140gr but other sources vary. Therefore I don't know what to use as an accurate base weight when converting.

That is because the weight is dependent on several factors, humidity, if it is sifted or not...even the type of wheat can make a difference. Scooping & leveling or spooning & leveling makes a difference in the weight.

Be specific when you Google weights of dry ingredients, i.e. "gram equivalent of 1 cup sifted hard wheat flour" As odd as it seems, I learned to bake bread at over 7000 feet, I now live at half that altitude and I bake bricks, still do not have the hang of how much flour to use when I bake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom