Cake for a diabetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use any scratch cake recipe and make substitutions: Splenda for sugar, whole wheat flour for all but 1/4 of the flour, and mashed banana or applesauce for the oil. Instead of frosting, mix two boxes of sugar-free pudding with half the liquid and stir in a container of sugar-free Cool Whip.

If you add raisins, soak them in hot water first, then drain. They not only plump up, but some of the sugar washes away in the water.

A nurse friend of mine had a daughter with diabetis (sp?) and she would make a boxed or homemade Angelfood cake and serve with fresh fruit cut up.

Use any scratch cake recipe and make substitutions: Splenda for sugar, whole wheat flour for all but 1/4 of the flour, and mashed banana or applesauce for the oil. Instead of frosting, mix two boxes of sugar-free pudding with half the liquid and stir in a container of sugar-free Cool Whip.

If you add raisins, soak them in hot water first, then drain. They not only plump up, but some of the sugar washes away in the water.

Just curious, why substitute banana or apple sauce for oil for a diabetic? Any reason not to substitute all whole wheat for the white flour?

Just curious, why substitute banana or apple sauce for oil for a diabetic? Any reason not to substitute all whole wheat for the white flour?

Fat Q: Most, not all, Diabetics also have problems with their triglycerides, another added risk for stroke.

Flour Q: Basically for asthetics, but there are some really good Whole Wheat White Flours out there, now.

I am a diabetic so I don't eat much cake.If I have a piece it is never frosted and pretty small.

All too often I see other diabetics eating a big A#$ piece of cake because it had applesauce or splenda in it.My advise would be to them -give it up.We had our fill of junk and the party is over.

On special occasion have your LITTLE piece of cake.The gooiest one you can get.Then be done with it!

I don't like diabetic recipes for the most part because they just give an excuse to eat more and do less for managing your condition.

Maybe this should have went in the rant thread! LOL

I am a diabetic so I don't eat much cake.If I have a piece it is never frosted and pretty small.

All too often I see other diabetics eating a big A#$ piece of cake because it had applesauce or splenda in it.My advise would be to them -give it up.We had our fill of junk and the party is over.

On special occasion have your LITTLE piece of cake.The gooiest one you can get.Then be done with it!

I don't like diabetic recipes for the most part because they just give an excuse to eat more and do less for managing your condition.

Maybe this should have went in the rant thread! LOL

The first thing I told Shrek's Diabetic Educator was that we would NOT be switching to artificial sweeteners. She couldn't argue with me, she was my college Nutrition Instructor and she remembered me:LOL: We, Shrek and I, are working on portion control and using less sugar. His last A1C was 6.3, mine was 5.1 (I haven't been diagnosed as diabetic, yet, and I plan on keeping it that way). We must be doing something right!

I wouldn't replace the oil with applesauce or mashed banana, that would just add more sugar.

Applesauce or mashed banana is an acceptable diabetic substitute for oil, depending upon the recipe. They contain fructose, not glucose, which is more easily tolerated in limited amounts, and can be healthier than oil of any type.

Last edited:
The first thing I told Shrek's Diabetic Educator was that we would NOT be switching to artificial sweeteners. She couldn't argue with me, she was my college Nutrition Instructor and she remembered me:LOL: We, Shrek and I, are working on portion control and using less sugar. His last A1C was 6.3, mine was 5.1 (I haven't been diagnosed as diabetic, yet, and I plan on keeping it that way). We must be doing something right!

6.3 and 5.1 IS doingsomething right.Does Shrek have to take any meds?Shooting Insulin everyday kinda sucks and got me to change.My doc never gave me a chance at oral meds and I am glad.I probably would not have gotten "scared straight" without the daily jabs.I can be kinda lazy that way.I also had a couple of crashes that were pretty bad too.

I wasn't pointing the finger at anybody in particular but I have some family members that just don't educate themselves on diabetes and think that 4 glasses of friut juice is o.k. since it is not a soda.If it has whole grain or less sugar they think they can eat as much as they want of it.They just don't know any better or don't want to hear it.

I don't know the OP's freind's situation but it was one of my family members I would go to the bakery and get the best piece of dessert I could find.Then I would go split it with them rather than leave them with a whole cake.

Shrek is on orals (2). His second one, with his doctor's permission, I have him cut in half and take 1 or 2 halves depending on his AM levels. Shrek with low blood sugar is not a pretty thing. Think PMS only Ogre-sized.

I take him out for 5 Guys burgers and fries when that happens. :)

How about a flourless bittersweet chocolate cake, sweetened with Whey Low or Splenda?

I've noticed that no one has mentioned stevia. Stevia is a NATURAL sweetener with NO calories, NO carbohydrates, and does NOT affect a person's glucose level. I bake with it, use it for all manner of sweetening and it has no aftertaste (when used properly).

I use the KAL brand of Pure Stevia Extract. 1.3 oz. cost me about $10.00 BUT that's the equivalent to more than 900 servings (1/2 BB amount equals 1 teaspoon of regular sugar) which, to me, is a real bargain. And it comes with a measuring spoon.

Last edited:
I've noticed that no one has mentioned stevia. Stevia is a NATURAL sweetener with NO calories, NO carbohydrates, and does NOT affect a person's glucose level. I bake with it, use it for all manner of sweetening and it has no aftertaste (when used properly).

I use the KAL brand of Pure Stevia Extract. 1.3 oz. cost me about $10.00 BUT that's the equivalent to more than 900 servings (1/2 BB amount equals 1 teaspoon of regular sugar) which, to me, is a real bargain. And it comes with a measuring spoon.

I'll be looking into Stevia. Thanks!:)

What's a "BB"?

A BB, as in shooting a BB gun... a tiny, round piece of copper typically shot from an air rifle, usually at a paper target, or used as an incentive to urge a squirrel to leave your bird feeder alone.

I did wonder if that was what was meant, after I typed it. I wondered what kind of unit of measure ;)

I didn't find stevia to be as sweet as sucrose.

Back
Top Bottom