"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cookies for a diabetic?

My sister's friend's husband is a wonderfully, kind man. He took an old, beat-up, unplayable acoustic guitar I had, and totally refurbished it for me. Now it looks and plays great! He's on the cookie list this Christmas, but he's a diabetic. I've never baked for a diabetic. I've got some Truvia sugar substitute...around 25 packets.

I've been looking at their conversion charts, and that is apparently the equivalent of about 1 cup of sugar. However, they have a product called "Truvia baking blend" that has sugar added to it. Apparently baking with just Truvia isn't a good idea..unfortuately I can't seem to find how much sugar I add to the truvia.

Anyone know, or have any hints on baking cookies with sugar subs?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Master Chef

I'm a diabetic, never used Truvia for baking.

I try to use higher fiber ingredients, reduce the sugar in the recipe by at least 1/2, toss in some nuts as a low carb filler and make them a little smaller than regular cookies. Oatmeal with peanut butter, a few chocolate chips and some walnuts is a pretty good combo.

They are not lo-cal or diabetic cookies, they are just cookies. An adult diabetic should be able to judge the number of cookies they can work into the daily diet.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks Aunt Bea. I'd rather go that route than some weirdo sugar sub made in some lab by a guy in a white coat. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

FYI, this is from the Mayo Clinic about sweets for people with diabetes: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dia...rition/DA00130

They don't need to avoid all sugar, they just need to balance total protein and simple and complex carbs.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior Cook

This is the recipe for one of the types of cookies I'm making. Would you mind looking at it Aunt Bea, and let me know what changes you would make?

Joy the Baker – Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

Would just halving the sugar and brown sugar be ok?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
This is the recipe for one of the types of cookies I'm making. Would you mind looking at it Aunt Bea, and let me know what changes you would make?

Joy the Baker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

Would just halving the sugar and brown sugar be ok?
The recipe does not have a great deal of sugar in it compared to other cookie recipes, they may have already reduced the sugar. IMO you could make it as is.

You could cut both sugars in half or leave out the white sugar and swap the light brown sugar for dark brown if you have it. The dark sugar will add some additional flavor. The texture may change slightly from the higher sugar version, but they won't taste any different, give it a try and see how you like them. It's all about seeking the minimum, when you find you have cut too much then go back to the previous version and put it in your recipe file.

Let us know after you have done a taste test on both versions, it may require intensive testing and a half gallon of milk before you can decide!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks so much. I've made those cookies before, and they were really good. Oh shoot...I'm going to have to taste test cookies...whoa is me.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Head Chef

As a diabetic, I would urge you to think of something else for your friend. I know cookies are traditional at Christmas, but maybe a non-food item would be more thoughtful?

Or you could go with a box of mixed nuts, or a cheese/sausage plate?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
As a diabetic, I would urge you to think of something else for your friend. I know cookies are traditional at Christmas, but maybe a non-food item would be more thoughtful?

I like the cheese sausage plate idea. You could make homemade crackers to go with it.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

I think that's a good idea.

Tags
cook, cookie, cookies