"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking
Old 08-03-2015, 02:43 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Creating sugar free dairy free ice-cream

I am trying to make a non-dairy (lactose intolerance) sugar free (diabetic) ice-cream. Searching the internet yields some results, but nothing that is really good. Most are better described as starting points.

A really promising recipe starts by freezing coconut milk (on baking sheet), and once frozen processing it in a food processor (with all kinds of additives - fruit, vanilla, sweetener etc.). The result tastes good, but when kept in the freezer, becomes too hard to break out of the container.

What can I add in order to get a creamier texture, that would not freeze to a solid once back in the freezer?

Any pointers to other non-dairy, non-sugar ice-cream recipes would be great as well.

dbbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #2
Head Chef
Most non-dairy 'ice-cream ' recipes that I've tried in the past have contained frozen bananas. Definitely gives it a creamier, ice-cream -like lecture, but usually the banana flavor over powers all the other flavors.

I also have a vitamix blender, and in its recipe book ( and at the live demo), they made 'ice cream' from blending Ice, frozen straw berries, raw nuts ( like almonds, pecans or a mix of both). In addition to that , though, they added agave syrup ( which is basically a sugar), so Im not sure if their is a syrup-like artificial sweetner you can use in its place.

Just to note, A vitamin blender is an animal. Grinds just about anything. Not sure a regular blender could handle the amount of frozen stuff required to do something like this

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
The vitamix recipe seems good to eat immediately, I'm not sure it will hold creamy texture if frozen.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Head Chef
Alcohol keeps things from freezing solid. Alcolhol ice cream would probably help get those pesky kids to bed on time. :)
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:07 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
Well, alcohol did help, but the result was still not soft enough. Or rather, it is soft, but like sand, not like goo. Looking for more ideas.

cream, eating, sugar