Delicious diabetic recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tastesgreat

Washing Up
On this thread i shall treat you to daily delicious diabetic recipes enjoy this first one

APPLESAUCE CAKE

2 eggs, well beaten
1 c. Apple Butter
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. Fruit Sweet
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Combine the eggs, butter and apple butter. Sift the flour and bake soda. Add the walnuts and raisins to the flour mixture and blend. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture alternately with the Fruit Sweet. Pour the batter into a greased tube pan and bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Turn out and cool before serving. Serve with whipped cream.

Sounds delicious, TG. I don't know what fruit sweet is, but I use Splenda for cakes. I would also replace 1 cup of the AP flour with whole wheat flour. It is a more complex carb, and takes the body longer to process, thus not suddenly flooding the body with glucose.

I just noticed that the recipe calls for apple butter and not unsweetened applesauce. The apple butter would need to be artificially sweetened, as the regular kind is full of sugar.

You can make your own apple butter by putting unsweetened applesauce in the crock pot with Splenda, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste and simmering all day until it's thick. You can also do it in the oven.

Thanks for the recipe, TastesGreat. And Constance, thanks for mentioning all the things on my mind with this. I would probably use Splenda as I usually do for cakes, etc. and I like your idea for homemade apple butter. I will make some for Dad as he loved it before diabetes and make the cake too.

With these recipes you must take into account the other carbs,such as Connie said flour,even apples has it's on sugar in it, as do the raisins, so there is a lot of sugar there. If made the cut piece needs to be small.
kadesma

I didn't even see the raisins! Good point Kades. Diabetic recipes aren't just about sugar substitutes. When cooking for Dad I have many recipes that don't use substitutes but the other ingredients (ww flour, unsweetened applesauce, etc) help to make it safe.

I can get into this project as I am diabetic and have adapted much of my cooking to reduce carbs in my diet. As was mentioned, the use of whole grains slows the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream due to the inclusion of fiber from the grain. Here's a diabetic-friendly recipe that I think everyone can enjoy.

Baked Beans
Baked beans are usually made with molasses and sugar, or brown sugar, or maple syrup. Take your favorite baked bean recipe and replace the sugar or syrup with Splenda and add a tbs. or so of molasses. This will give you the brown sugar flavor with a fraction of the carbs, though the molasses isn't carb free. Dried beans are packed with fiber, protein, vitamins, and various minerals and things like isoflavones and such. It is highly recommended as a diabetic staple.

Other foods that are healthful for everyone, but especially diabetics are cinnamon, again it helps control blood sugars, capcaicin (found in all hot peppers, it helps control and destroy cancer cells and does many other good things), anti-oxident rich foods (the more vibrant the color of the food, generally the better it is for you, including with beans), Flax seed (rich in omega-3 fatty acids, good for the brain) can be added to cereals, and baked foods such as breads and pastries), psyllium husks (there's that fiber again), and most fresh vegetables and fruits. Though fat is not the villain it was once thought to be, it does promote the creation of free radicals in the body (bad) and is high in calories which causes the body to work harder to get rid of the excess lipids in the blood (the body turns it into body fat). So fatty foods should be avoided.

Question; Which is better for you, the potato, or the sweet potato?
Answer: The sweet potato. It is rich in a host of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and natural fiber. It's sugars enter the blood stream slowly, and aren't as plentiful per unit volume as are the carbs in a regular potato. Plus, the potato has very little nutritional value, almost no fiber, and when eaten, are rapidly broken down into glucose and dumped into the blood stream. Fry them in hot oil and they form a chemical that is as hard on the heart as is the bad cholesterol that everyone is afraid of (low density lippo-proteins, or LDL cholesterol).

And kids, that's just for starters.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I didn't even see the raisins! Good point Kades. Diabetic recipes aren't just about sugar substitutes. When cooking for Dad I have many recipes that don't use substitutes but the other ingredients (ww flour, unsweetened applesauce, etc) help to make it safe.
Thanks Laurie,
after years of this I've learned it's not just the sugar that raises bloo glucose. The natrual sugars in dried or fresh fruit is pretty high. We need to make a point of finding out as much as we can on the calories in fruit, which are highest and lowest. Also by let's say eating a small apple instead of the biggest. And , for me the most important is testing your bloog glucose often.I can't tell you how much you learn about youself this way and what works for you. Ok off the soap box:)
kadesma

Diabetic recipe 2

CHICKEN BREASTS WITH CARROT AND ZUCCHINI STUFFING

2 small (whole) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 c. carrots, shredded (about 2 sm.)
1 c. zucchini, shredded (about 1 med.)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 envelope chicken-flavored bouillon
1/4 c. water

In medium bowl, combine carrots, zucchini, salt and poultry seasoning. Spoon about 1/2 cup mixture into each pocket (each breast should open similar to a butterfly); secure with toothpicks. In place chicken in a Med size skillet, sprinkle with bouillon.

Add water to skillet and cook over medium high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 40 minutes or until chicken is fork tender. Remove toothpicks. Makes 4 servings, 180 calories per serving.

TastesGreat - please include carbohydrate and dietary fiber counts with your recipes. That would be the most helpful. Calorie counts are good, but it's the carbs/fiber counts that diabetics need to concern themselves with. Thanks

Also, still wondering what Fruit Sweet is...

Back
Top Bottom