Diabetic Desserts Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marissa82

Assistant Cook
please ppl im desperate, i wanna find an ideal recipe thats sweet (preferably a cake) but moderately. its for my grandma and she cant have anything too sweet notably but i dont know what to make for her
so if anyone has any recipes for diabetic ppl i would greatly appreciate it

Try one of these. I wish I had my hubby's grandmas recipe for two layer pumpkin pie, it's sugar free and it's wonderful!

Here's another one.

Last edited:
What texasgirl has above look wonderful!
My dad is a diabetic and my mom always went to the tried and true Angel Food cake that she would invent a new, sugar free topping for. The family favorite was Angel Food with a sugar free chocolate / mocha pudding. She would make the sugar free jello pudding (not instant) but would add 2 or 3 tablespoons of Sanka instant coffee into the mix when it was boiling. After it was set, she would use a scoop or two of Cool-Whip to thin it to a saucey consistancy. Very yummy.
I think you could top Angel Food with dirt though and it would still be good! :) But really, you can top it with any sugar free pudding or mix berries with Splenda or Equal and have a nice topping.

If you go to your local library you can look at Taste of Home and in the back they have an index of all the recipies that are in the magazine and quite a few of them have a red asterik and and those have diabetic options.:)

Grace

Foor diabetics, or anyone else, when you think of cakes, think of quickbreads. That is, the same recipes that make bran muffins, carrot cakes, zuchini bread, apple-sauce bread, etc., make wonderful cakes. The reason I suggest these is that they are naturally high in fiber and nutritional value. The only changes that have to be made is to top them with sugar-free toppings, and maybe substitute apple-sauce for some of the oil normally used. Also, you can replace the sugar normally used in the recipes with Splenda, which holds up well under heat.

If you use sweet potatoes, or any of the winter squashes in your deserts (Hubbard Sqaush pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoe pie, etc.) you are giving a sweet food that is rich in flavor and nutrition. In fact, the sweet potato has the highest nutritional value of all vegetables and can easily be substituted for many of the winter squash family, and they are slouches nutritionaly either.

The fiber aids digestion and helps regulate colon activity. It also plays a major role in decreasing ldl cholesterol and regulating how quickly sugar enters the blood stream. Its nutritional content includes high beta carotien (vitamin A), and a host of other vitamins, minerals, and isoflavones.

So in retrospect, make her a pineapple upside-down cake. Just replace the regular cake mix with a home made bran muffin batter, Made with whole wheat, bran, Splenda, eggs, baking powder, water, and either Splenda or Honey, and a bit of salt. Then mix Splenda with a bit of mollases and put in the pan bottom. Place the pineapple rings and cherries onto the pan bottom and pour the batter over the top. When the cake is baked, turn the cake out and cover with Stabilized whipped cream.

She'll be thinking sinfully good treat. You'll know that the cake is actually good for her.

And then there's that incredible pumpkin pie that you made with Splenda and a whole grain "apple crisp topping" style crust.

Need I say more?:mrgreen::chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Dried Apple Stack Cake(Diabetic?)
Yield: 24 servings

Ingredients:
For the apple filling:
8 cups home-dried(very dry) apples
5 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1/2 cup Splenda(or equivilent)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
(or 2 teaspoons apple pie spice)
Directions:
Prepare the filling ahead so that it will be cool when you bake the layers. In a large pot, combine the apples, juice and sugar substitute, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. You can cook them for 10 minutes in a pressure cooker, also. Sitr in the spices. Use a mixer, food processor or potato masher to break up the apples so that they are smooth like apple sauce. Measure out 8 cups and cool.
Ingredients:
For the cake:
8 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs(or egg beaters)
1 cup Splenda
1 cup molasses(or 100% pure sweet sorghum)
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut 11-12 inch pieces of waxed paper or parchment. I prefer parchment because the parchment does not smoke during baking, and the cake does not stick.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 8 cups of the flour, the baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Make a large well or nest in the center of the flour and pour in milk, eggs, Splenda, molasses and beat until well mixed. Add the butter and continue to beat until fluffy mixed and smooth. Mixing with your hands, slowly incorporate the flour mixture as you would for bread. When the dough is dry enough to handle, stop adding flour-some may remain in the bowl.
Roll the dough into a log and cut into equal-size parts-1 cup each. Roll the pieces into a ball; if they are sticky, roll them in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour.
On a sheet of parchment or waxed paper, press each ball into flat disk. Using a rolling pin, roll it out as you would a pie crust. Using extra flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin, roll the dough into a flat disk a little larger than a 9-inch round cake pan. Then press the 9-inch pan into the dough so that the rim cuts the dough into a circle. Save the scraps for the 11th layer. When you have rolled out and trimmed the layer, slide the paper and layer onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes or until the layer is very brown on the edges and browned across the top. Repeat for each layer.
Remove the layers from the oven and place them on cooling racks or towels. When the layers are cool and you have discarded the baking papers, you are ready to stack the cake.
Assemble the cake:
Place the first layer on a cake plate and spread avout 3/4 cup of apple filling over the layer. Repeat this with each of the layers. Do not spread apple filling on the top layer.
Let the cake stand 6 - 12 hours at room temperature. This allows the moisture from the apple filling to soak into the cake layers. Refrigerate for 12 - 36 hours or freeze the cake for several months.

Squash and apple pie

Thanks-giving I made a free form pie out of Butternut squash and two apples; I grated fresh ginger into it and added some nutmeg and coriander. I used no crust, nor any sugar salt or fat.

The ginger really made it taste fantastic. Unfortunately I did not measure any thing, so just go for it.

It was really very good, until I tried eating it next to the real killer pies with tons of sugar salt and fat.

Cheesecake - either crustless or with a nut crust, sweetened with a sugar substitute.

Flourless chocolate cake with unsweetened chocolate, sweetened with a sugar substitute.

Check out the recipes on the Splenda website:
cake Recipes | SPLENDA®

Sugar Free Cheesecake and Sugar Free Jam

My Dad also has type II Diabetes so I adapted recipes to make dessertfor his 60th birthday party. I willput the recipe below

Crust:
200 grams finely crushed Digestive biscuits
1/4 cup Xylitol
114 grams unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
1 kg cream cheese, room temperature (use full fat, not reduced or fat free cream cheese)
1 cup Xylitol
3 tablespoons plain flour
5 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup double cream
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Topping:
240 ml sour cream (not low fat or fat free)
2 tablespoons Xylitol
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Grease and line with baking paper a 9 inch spring form pan. Preheat oven to 180 Deg cel, 350 def f.

In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the crust and mix well. Then press mixture into the lined baking pan. Make sure you cover the base and about ¾ of the way up the sides. Try to keep the crust even.

Place the crust in the fridge for while you make the filling.

For the filling place the cream cheese, Xylitol and flour into your electric mixer/mix master and eat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Then add eggs one at a time making sure each is mixed in before you add the next. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl as you are going.

Add the vanilla, cream and zest and mix until just combined. Don’t mix any longer than necessary as this can cause cracks to form on the top of your cheesecake while it is cooking.

Pour mix evenly into chilled crust. Place spring form pan on top of another solid pan just in case there is any leakage during the cooking process.

Place in oven for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 120 deg cel, 259 deg f, for 60 to 90 minutes. (mine cooked in 60 to 70 minutes)

Cheesecake is cooked when only the centre of the cheesecake looks a little wet and wobbly and the edges are set.

Mix all topping ingredients in a small bowl and spread the mix evenly over the warm cheesecake. Place back in oven for another 15 minutes.

When done take cheesecake out of oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. Do not take it out of pan!!! Once cooled wrap in glad wrap and place in fridge over night.

Just prior to serving take it out of the pan and peel the baking paper off. I decorated the cake with some of my Sugar Free Mixed Berry Jam that I had warmed slightly in the microwave to make it a little runny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fruit cakes would be better options. These cakes can be made at home also and can be decorated with home made whip cream. This cream can be made all sugar free with help of cream dispensers and cream chargers. It would be fantastic preparation exactly as per her liking and needs.

Back
Top Bottom