Diabetic Pound Cake--Guilt Free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DessertsByMemaw

Washing Up
This Pound cake recipe is for diabetic's but can be enjoyed by everyone.I call that guilt free. It's healthy and won't add pounds to your lovely body. Get your pans out and pre-heat that oven..Here we go

Ingredients

2 c. flour
1/2 c. corn oil
2 eggs
3 lg. ripe bananas
1 1/2 tbsp. liquid sweetener
4 tbsp. buttermilk
1 c. raisins
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. pecans

Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees

Sift soda and flour.Add liquid sweetener and oil,then mix until light.Beat in eggs. Add rest of ingredients. Beat until well mixed. Pour into loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Please enjoy and I would enjoy hearing others thoughts on this recipe.

Please be aware that I'm only writing for myself. I'm a Type II diabetic and count grams of carbohydrates to help control it. For me, the flour isn't that big of a problem, but ripe bananas and raisins have a lot of natural sugar which means that there are a lot of carbohydrates in them. I don't eat bananas at all for this reason because a half of a regular size banana has 15 grams of carbohydrates which would mean that three bananas would have 90 grams of carbohydrate. Raisins have about 60 grams per 1/2 cup or 120 grams for 1 cup.

The recipe does look good and would probably work well for people who are not as stringent in their diet as I am.

yes I understand,but I do not think you would eat the whole cake at once.I will write another recipe just for you.I hope you are doing well today and are very blessed.

For the diabetics in the crowd - 1 loaf =

4081 calories
253 g total fat
434 carbs
39 g fiber
152 g sugars

You can do the math yourself based on how many servings one loaf would make. I used Splenda liquid in my calculations.

In case there are diabetics out there who would like to calculate their own recipes, here is the link.

Thanks for doing all that work. I have a recipe program that does that stuff for me and it helps me a lot.

Speaking only for me, looking at just the carbs, a one inch slice of the pound cake would have 48 grams of carbohydrates. I average 45 grams of carbohydrates for each meal I eat. If I were to eat a slice of the cake I would not be able to eat anything else that has carbohydrates in it and nutritionally speaking that would not be a wise choice for me.

I could eat half of a one inch slice of the cake but personally I wouldn't do that because the sugars in the bananas and raisins are really dense and I tend to stay away from those. I follow my program because I have a family and not only do I want to stay healthy for me, I want to stay healthy for them.

Again, I am just writing about me. There are several ways to manage a diabetic eating program and the one I have chosen is the most complex of all -- counting the carbohydrates I eat for each meal.

I hope you don't have diabetes and you never get it. I do appreciate your effort to share your recipe and the nutritional values.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I never get it as well. Counting carbs is a pretty standard practice here from what I understand. I learned to do it when we had a client who was pretty fragile. He got 72 carbs per meal though. Lucky bum huh?

I hope I never get it as well. Counting carbs is a pretty standard practice here from what I understand. I learned to do it when we had a client who was pretty fragile. He got 72 carbs per meal though. Lucky bum huh?
Alix, I appreciate your efforts to help us. I watch my carbs but make sure I test many times a day. There is a mistake many of us make and that is being so strict that we often get side tracked in our meal planning. If I want a small piece of cake or several cookies I account for it by eating a small piece of meat, a veggie that has few if any carbs, salad with evoo and vinegar. It can be done without stress and it can be enjoyable. Thanks Alix your the best.
kadesma)

Back
Top Bottom