"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

As a diabetic, let me say first cookies, pies cake can be made without sugar. but if we know how to exchange you don't have to use non-sugar sweetner..Okay what is sugar? It's a carb, so when making cookies etc, its the carbs we have to consider, not just sugar...We learn to swap one carb for another..thus we can have that small piece of cake and I mean small, and we can have a cookie, not 6 or 7 but one or two, we just need to exchange carbs...Don't be the sweets police, most of us know what we are doing carb wise and are adults who can take care of ourself..If this person abuses her self, there is nothing you can do,just say a prayer and wish her the best.
kadesma

Old 02-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

Very good thoughts Kades, I am all so a diabetic and eat what ever I want but watch my carbs closer than my money and my A1C come back a perfect 6 every time

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
As a diabetic, let me say first cookies, pies cake can be made without sugar. but if we know how to exchange you don't have to use non-sugar sweetner..Okay what is sugar? It's a carb, so when making cookies etc, its the carbs we have to consider, not just sugar...We learn to swap one carb for another..thus we can have that small piece of cake and I mean small, and we can have a cookie, not 6 or 7 but one or two, we just need to exchange carbs...Don't be the sweets police, most of us know what we are doing carb wise and are adults who can take care of ourself..If this person abuses her self, there is nothing you can do,just say a prayer and wish her the best.
kadesma

Well said, kadesma.

My mom's been a diabetic 19 yrs. this year and she just turned 73 yrs. old in Dec. I'll be 42 yrs. old in May and I've been taking a med for my diabetes since last fall but have been pre-diabetic since before then.

My mom doesn't fix food with the substitute sweeteners too much, much less make the substituted sweetened diabetic foods too much...Jell-O & etc. She eats normal but watches what she eats. She'll eat one thing for lunch but knows she can't eat something else of the same thing for supper. When it comes to sweets, she either leaves it alone or, just eats a very, small piece and that's it. She satisfied her tastebuds and that's it. She just knows that she can't have anymore the rest of the day. She's taught me about eating various foods a little but I've also taken a diabetes class before I became diabetic.

If the lady wants to eat the cookies, then it's up to her. She knows what she's doing to herself. I agree that all we can do is pray for her. She'll have to deal with her doctor about how her blood-sugar levels are.

Darlene