Diabetic Question. Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SixSix210

Senior Cook
NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be
I make about 5-8 batches of cookies per week. Most are made for my wild eyed out-of-control and complete lack of restraint in the kitchen. When I get bored, I BAKE. lol. Most of the cookies are then carted off to my wife's work, where we fatten up her co-workers instead of ourselves. ;-) Recently, I've begun getting requests and offers of money for batches of cookies, another thread alltogether, and now I've got a problem. I just got a request that said simply "I'd KILL for a good chocolate chip cookie" NO problem. Then the request was followed by an email from my wife, that under NO circumstances was I to make and give chocolate chip cookies for the requester because she has severe diabetes. I've never made a cookie with no sugar. I've also never backed down from a cooking challenge in my life. ESPECIALLY when it comes to cookies. So now I'm stuck and in desperate need of advice. I've heard that substitutes can be acceptable at best. 'acceptable' is not good enough for me. I need some advice here... and where do i get sugar free chocolate chips? Carob chips? HEEEELLLLLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you go to any great trouble, why not just get your wife to check as to whether the cookies are for the requester or for the requestor to give as a present to somebody else or something akin to that.

Seriously doubt that you will be able to make a "good chocolate chip cookie" by cutting corners or subbying too much. And carob stops it being a good choc anything in my opinion!!! LOL

On top of which, even if the woman is a severe diabetic, isn't it her life to abuse if she chooses? Just a thought.

I had sent my infamous "Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Butterscotch" cookies to work with my honey, and the requestor had a fit. Lol. poor thing refused them. Actually went as far as to take one home with her to give her hubby who drooled and ooh and aaaaahhh'd so much that she sent me the email. She told me that when he went as far as searching her car in 20 degree weather because he thought she was holding out on him, she had to send me a message. She won't eat them or anything else that has sugar. I feel bad for her. I admire her strength though. We have a special tub that is opaque to keep these in so we can't see them (lowers the temptation to eat 4 dozen cookies for dinner :LOL:) there is no way i could do that.

Don't think society is ready for us to play judge and jury on other people's lifestyle choices yet. Doubt that there are many amongst us who have never done anything that they shouldn't in their lives that could have had or could still have a repercussion on their health.

I played netball and did my knee in and returned to playing after it was okay again. I will probably have arthritis in it if I live long enough. I bought a burger that cost me my kidneys and the Australian taxpayer is paying for it still. One person will say that neither of my actions were irresponsible, another will. Who gets to judge that and consequently my life? Don't think any of us can make judgements on other people in that manner.

Don't think society is ready for us to play judge and jury on other people's lifestyle choices yet. Doubt that there are many amongst us who have never done anything that they shouldn't in their lives that could have had or could still have a repercussion on their health.

I played netball and did my knee in and returned to playing after it was okay again. I will probably have arthritis in it if I live long enough. I bought a burger that cost me my kidneys and the Australian taxpayer is paying for it still. One person will say that neither of my actions were irresponsible, another will. Who gets to judge that and consequently my life? Don't think any of us can make judgements on other people in that manner.

I agree, that is a pretty slippery slope there. It also assumes that if a person is on public medical or social medicine they aren't paying for it and therefore others have a right to them tell what they can and can't do.
But last time I checked I paid taxes, and taxes are where it comes from...

I agree, that is a pretty slippery slope there. It also assumes that if a person is on public medical or social medicine they aren't paying for it and therefore others have a right to them tell what they can and can't do.
But last time I checked I paid taxes, and taxes are where it comes from...

I didn't actually say I had the right to tell anyone how to live their life. I expressed an opinion that people who pay their own expenses can abuse themselves all they want. My real point is that medical care is expensive enough without people deliberately causing their own medical problems to be worse by doing/eating/whatever things they know will cause problems and then expecting others to pick up the tab.

If I'm not mistaken, Bilby lives in a society where everyone's basic medical needs are taken care of. That's not the case here in the U.S. where millions of people have no health coverage at all. So naturally she has a different view. C'est la vie.

My real point is that medical care is expensive enough without people deliberately causing their own medical problems to be worse by doing/eating/whatever things they know will cause problems and then expecting others to pick up the tab.

And that was the point I was making, the assumption that if you are on Medicare or Medicaid someone else is picking up the tab. If you have no health care at all, no one is picking up the tab at all.
And I am on Medicare and Medicaid.. so who is picking up my tab?? Both programs are paid for by taxes, taxes both the wife and I still pay to this day, so how is that someone else is picking up the tab?
We all pay taxes into this system, but then when the time comes that you may need to actually use it, someone comes along and claims you are sucking off the system. If someone else is paying my tab, where did all those taxes I have been paying since I was 14 go to??

As a diabetic, let me say first cookies, pies cake can be made without sugar. but if we know how to exchange you don't have to use non-sugar sweetner..Okay what is sugar? It's a carb, so when making cookies etc, its the carbs we have to consider, not just sugar...We learn to swap one carb for another..thus we can have that small piece of cake and I mean small, and we can have a cookie, not 6 or 7 but one or two, we just need to exchange carbs...Don't be the sweets police, most of us know what we are doing carb wise and are adults who can take care of ourself..If this person abuses her self, there is nothing you can do,just say a prayer and wish her the best.
kadesma

Very good thoughts Kades, I am all so a diabetic and eat what ever I want but watch my carbs closer than my money and my A1C come back a perfect 6 every time

As a diabetic, let me say first cookies, pies cake can be made without sugar. but if we know how to exchange you don't have to use non-sugar sweetner..Okay what is sugar? It's a carb, so when making cookies etc, its the carbs we have to consider, not just sugar...We learn to swap one carb for another..thus we can have that small piece of cake and I mean small, and we can have a cookie, not 6 or 7 but one or two, we just need to exchange carbs...Don't be the sweets police, most of us know what we are doing carb wise and are adults who can take care of ourself..If this person abuses her self, there is nothing you can do,just say a prayer and wish her the best.
kadesma

Well said, kadesma.

My mom's been a diabetic 19 yrs. this year and she just turned 73 yrs. old in Dec. I'll be 42 yrs. old in May and I've been taking a med for my diabetes since last fall but have been pre-diabetic since before then.

My mom doesn't fix food with the substitute sweeteners too much, much less make the substituted sweetened diabetic foods too much...Jell-O & etc. She eats normal but watches what she eats. She'll eat one thing for lunch but knows she can't eat something else of the same thing for supper. When it comes to sweets, she either leaves it alone or, just eats a very, small piece and that's it. She satisfied her tastebuds and that's it. She just knows that she can't have anymore the rest of the day. She's taught me about eating various foods a little but I've also taken a diabetes class before I became diabetic.

If the lady wants to eat the cookies, then it's up to her. She knows what she's doing to herself. I agree that all we can do is pray for her. She'll have to deal with her doctor about how her blood-sugar levels are.

Darlene

Back
Top Bottom