"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 09-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Instead of changing the diet, alter it. Continue to make your favorites, but make some substitutions, like whole grain pasta instead of regular. Change things slowly. Don't throw everything out and start over...a good way to make everyone revolt against change. Small changes DO make a difference.

Shrek is type 2 and he eats regular ice cream...but his portion size has changed. Took him a little while before he realized he was satisfied with a smaller portion.

Has DH spoken with a Diabetic Educator or Dietician? He should, they are very helpful in making those small changes that keep a person happy while lowering their blood sugar. Help them make healthy choices.

The most important...Portion Control. Go by what it says on the packaging. If it says 4 portions...make it 4 portions. It's tough but worth it in the long run.

Okay...nurse mode off...anyone for frozen turkey bowling?

Old 09-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
Head Chef

Thanks guys. Dh has been diabetic for many, many years but is just now beginning to take it a little seriously now that he is starting to see some negative effects to his health and I think it is scaring him. He is just beginning to think about portion control. And even then he eats far more than he should. I have always tried not to be the diet police but I do want to encourage his efforts. I'm trying to concentrate on replacing a few of the processed carbs with veggiesso he doesn't feel deprived. He's not good with change. Not good at all. So I do have to go easy with the whole thing. I will try some of the suggestions. Keep them coming!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Master Chef

Site Moderator

If he has problems with portion control, which I can relate to, try making just enough for that meal. If the recipe makes more, package up and refrigerate or freeze what is left as soon as you plate up the meal.

Use smaller plates and bowls. I read some where that the size of a dinner plate used to be like 8" or 9" diameter and now they are 12" diameter. Smaller plates make portion sizes look bigger.

I agree that you need to make small changes a bit at a time. And unless he asks, don't tell him you made substitutions. Just do it. IOf you say, " try this I switched X for Y" you are already setting him up to look for a difference in taste, texture, etc.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Agrees with Dave. I got rid of our dishes that were oversized. I replaced them with colorful Fiestaware that is appropriately sized. Much easier for portion control.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Head Chef

Cauliflower can be a replacement for potatoes. I used to boil it until tender then make mashed "potatoes".

If you have some left over mashed "potatoes" bake it covered in cheese.

You can also make fried "rice" with cauliflower. Grate it then stir fry it. Warnning it can make a mess when you grate it.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Cauliflower can be a replacement for potatoes. I used to boil it until tender then make mashed "potatoes".
I could never get that to work.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post

If you have some left over mashed "potatoes" bake it covered in cheese.

You can also make fried "rice" with cauliflower. Grate it then stir fry it. Warnning it can make a mess when you grate it.
This was great for Shrek and he loved it...OTOH...I still don't like cauliflower. I do it this way for him and try not to wave real potatoes in his face.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #18
Head Chef

Actually I have made fauxtatoes. I steam the cauliflower so that it doesn't absorb as much water as boiling it does. But I have never tried to use it as rice. I'll try that.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Use smaller plates and bowls. I read some where that the size of a dinner plate used to be like 8" or 9" diameter and now they are 12" diameter. Smaller plates make portion sizes look bigger.
I believe it. We have a set of fine china that dates back to at least the 1920s. The dinner plates are about 9" in diameter and definitely seem small by today's platter-sized standard.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I've read good carb/bad carb. I'm really looking for some new ideas that might tempt dh without the high glycemic thing. And without the high grocery bill.
I bought a book several years ago called "Sugar Busters" It gives a good explanation of how diabetes affects you and why it is good to change "white" to "brown" as in rice, potatos, bread. There are good recipies in the back of the book as well. The glycemic index is good for reference but diabetics should be careful of eating only low glycemic foods, especially if they are using insulin or oral meds, sometimes there isn't enough carbs to offset the dose of medication. I am a type 2, and sometimes have a hard time balancing interesting with what is good for me. Hope this helps.