Diabetic stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use smaller plates and bowls.

I started using smaller plates when my kids were small. The salad plate was jut the right size for them. Then I graduated to luncheon size plates. Never did go for the bigger dinner plate. Even when I had company. They got to eat off the smaller size plates.

I have never bought a 'set' of dishes. There were sizes that I knew I would never use. The cups were too small for a decent morning cup of coffee. And the dinner plates were too large. I have always bought only the dishes I knew I would use in the size that was suitable for my family. Corelle has ideal luncheon size dishes that can be bought from open stock.

And one of the benefits of smaller size dishes, is serving control. The plate looks fuller and you are tricked into thinking you ate a big meal. Great for the waistline.:chef:

Last edited:
The best breakfast I have had that handles spikes in blood sugar is to have yogurt with your cereal stirred in. You need that protein from the yogurt to steady your sugars.
4 ounces of yogurt with 1/2 cup of sugarless cereal...:)

Anytime you have a carb, you should have a protein to control the carb. The protein (with physical activity) slows down the absorption of the carb.:chef:

We need to learn to exchange carbs If I'm drooling over a small slice of pie or cake I do with out carbs for dinner I will eat several non starchy veggies a small piece of protein and a salad no breads, potatoes,rice, pasta then I have my pie or dessert and really enjoy it. I know another piece will be allowed tomorrow if I eat in the same manner.
kades

Anytime you have a carb, you should have a protein to control the carb. The protein (with physical activity) slows down the absorption of the carb.:chef:
Fats also slow down the absorption of the carb.

I had a meeting with my new diabetes counselor yesterday. I told her that when I first was diagnosed, I tried all the sweeteners. They all left a metallic taste in my mouth. So I decided then and there that I would forgo all sugar in everything else as long as I could have sugar in my coffee. I still limit my carbs. But I make up for any that I may want to have with the sugar in my coffee. She asked me if I was a 'tapper.' I had to stop and think for a moment. Yes, I am a tapper. I always tap the spoon because I hate grains of sugar on my counter. Which means I tend to take level spoonfuls. I pretty much keep my carbs on the low side. Partly because I have only a half of stomach. So since it doesn't take much to make me feel full, I lean to eating protein foods first.

I do all the baking for the whole family. Oddly enough I don't even lick a finger. The beaters go into the sink with the good stuff on them that the kids used to fight over. I practice self control just so I can have the sugar in my coffee without guilt.

I don't use any sweeteners except real sugars. Artificial sweeteners taste horrible and they do nasty things to my GI tract.

I see I posted in this thread way back last February. I have now lost a total of 60 pounds, and, even better, my a1c is down to 5.5, and my cholesterol is 155!! I feel great and have more energy than I have had for years.

Still avoiding grains--even whole grains make my sugar go up. If I do eat some, I measure to control my portions. Sugar is not a problem for me--I don't really have a sweet tooth, and I don't mind phony sugar, when I do need a little sweetness.

I don't pay much attention to fat--fat makes things taste good, and I also eat less if the veggies have butter, or if the meat has some fat in it. Bacon rules! :pig:

I started using smaller plates when my kids were small. The salad plate was jut the right size for them. Then I graduated to luncheon size plates. Never did go for the bigger dinner plate. Even when I had company. They got to eat .off the smaller size plates.

I have never bought a 'set' of dishes. There were sizes that I knew I would never use. The cups were too small for a decent morning cup of coffee. And the dinner plates were too large. I have always bought only the dishes I knew I would use in the size that was suitable for my family. Corelle has ideal luncheon size dishes that can be bought from open stock.

And one of the benefits of smaller size dishes, is serving control. The plate looks fuller and you are tricked into thinking you ate a big meal. Great for the waistline.:chef:

I've tried this before but just looking at the small plates
I had got me depressed and I ended up eating twice as much. Have you started using the small plates in a moment of your life were you were very happy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried this before but just looking at the small plates
I had got me depressed and I ended up eating twice as much. Have you started using the small plates in a moment of your life were you were very happy?

I very rarely am unhappy. I pretty much roll with the punches if I am having a problem. Then I bounce back. I have been using the smaller plates for so long. It started with the kids. And as they began to leave home, I just never stopped. Since I didn't have large dinner plates, only smaller luncheon ones. Now I only use paper ones. Including bowls. I don't want to spend my last days on eath cleaning. I have been considering plastic forks, knives and spoons. The only reason I am hestiating is because of the cost. I HATE using the cheap ones like you get for take out. I may have to go to BJ's or Costco's and get the restaurant size box of the good ones. And I mean the really good ones. I don't want them breaking in my mouth while I am eating. :chef:

Fat free, low carb, heart healthy.

I eat a lot of black turtle beans, the best tasting bean ever. And I make cream cheese out of yogurt by draining it over night and adding dry onion chips.

And Brussels sprouts have helped me lose 70lbs in one summer.

I gave up counting carbs and limiting the food I eat, I just fill up on fibrous plant foods.

Last edited:
I eat a lot of black turtle beans, the best tasting bean ever. And I make cream cheese out of yogurt by draining it over night and adding dry onion chips.

And Brussels sprouts have helped me lose 70lbs in one summer.

I gave up counting carbs and limiting the food I eat, I just fill up on fibrous plant foods.

Congradulations. Keep up the good work. :):chef:

Back
Top Bottom