Diabetic stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have looked for multi grain pasta but can't find it. All I can find is whole wheat pasta and we don't like it at all.

Here is a list of some good carbs, measurements and carbs grams
Hope it helps.

BEANS & PEAS
AMOUNT
CARBS (grams)

Black beans
1/4 cup dry
23g

Black beans
1/2 cup cooked
18g

Garbanzo beans
1/4 cup dry
28g

Garbanzo (Chickpeas)
1/2 cup cooked
18g

Kidney beans
1/4 cup dry
29g

Kidney beans
1/2 cup cooked
20g

Lentils
1/4 cup dry
28g

Lentils
1/2 cup cooked
20g

Lima Beans
1/4 cup dry
22g

Lima Beans
1/2 cup cooked
20g

Navy Beans
1/4 cup dry
32g

Navy Beans
1/2 cup cooked
29g

Pinto Beans
1/4 cup dry
29g

Pinto Beans
1/2 cup cooked
22g

Soybeans
1/4 cup dry
13g

Soybeans
1/2 cup cooked
9g

Split Peas
1/4 cup dry
26g

Split Peas
1/2 cup cooked
21g

DAIRY
AMOUNT
CARBS (grams)

Blue cheese
1 oz
0.7g

Cheddar cheese
1 oz
0.4g

Cottage cheese, 2% fat
1/2 cup
4g

Egg
1 extra large
1g

Feta cheese
1 oz
1g

Milk, 1% fat
1 cup
8g

Milk, fat-free
1 cup
13g

Mozzarella cheese
1 oz
0.8g

Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp.
0.2g

Provolone cheese
1 oz
0.6g

Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup
6g

Swiss cheese
1 oz
1g

Yogurt, low-fat
1 cup
17g

Yogurt, fat-free
1 cup
18g

FRUITS (raw)
AMOUNT
CARBS (grams)

Apple
5 oz
21g

Apricot
3 (4 oz ea.)
12g

Avocado
1/2 (3 oz)
7g

Blackberries
1 cup
18g

Blueberries
1 cup
21g

Cantaloupe
1 cup
13g

Cranberries
1/2 cup
6g

Grapefruit
1/2 (4 oz)
10g

Grapes
1 cup
16g

Guava
1 (3 oz)
11g

Kiwi
1 (2-1/2 oz)
11g

Mango
1/2 (3-1/2 oz)
18g

Nectarine
1 (5 oz)
16g

Orange
1 (4-1/2 oz)
15g

Papaya
1/2 (5-1/2 oz)
15g

Peach
1 (3-1/2 oz)
10g

Pear
1 (6 oz)
25g

Pineapple
1 cup
19g

Raspberries
1 cup
14g

Strawberries
1 cup
11g

Tangerine
1 (3 oz)
9g

Watermelon
1 cup
12g

NUTS & SEEDS AMOUNT
CARBS (grams)

Almonds
1 oz
6g

Brazil nuts
1 oz
4g

Cashews
1 oz
9g

Coconut, raw
1 oz
4g

Macadamia nuts
1 oz
4g

Peanuts
1 oz
6g

Pecans
1 oz
5g

Pistachios
1 oz
7g

Pumpkin seeds
1 oz
5g

Sesame seeds
1 Tbsp.
1g

Sunflower
1 oz
5g

Walnuts
1 oz
3g

VEGETABLES
AMOUNT
CARBS (grams)

Alfalfa sprouts, raw
1/2 cup
1g

Asparagus
1/2 cup cooked
4g

Butterhead lettuce
1 cup raw
2g

Broccoli
1/2 cup cooked
4g

Brussels Sprouts
1/2 cup cooked
7g

Cabbage
1/2 cup cooked
4g

Carrot
1 (2-1/2 oz)
7g

Cauliflower
3 florets
3g

Celery
1/2 cup diced
2g

Chinese Cabbage
1/2 cup cooked
2g

Chili Peppers
1 Tbsp.
1g

Corn (sweet)
1 ear
19g

Cucumber
5 oz raw
4g

Edamame, fresh soybeans
1/2 cup raw
14g

Edamame
1/4 cup cooked
10g

Eggplant
1/2 cup cooked
3g

Garlic
1 clove
1g

Ginger Root
1 Tbsp. raw
1g

Green Bell Peppers
1/2 cup raw
3g

Iceberg Lettuce
1-1/2 cups raw
3g

Mushrooms
1/2 cup cooked
4g

Okra
1/2 cup cooked
6g

Onions
1/2 cup cooked
7g

Radishes
1/2 cup raw
2g

Red Bell Peppers
1/2 cup raw
3g

Red Cabbage
1/2 cup cooked
4g

Romaine lettuce
1-1/2 cups raw
2g

Scallions
1/2 cup raw
4g

Spinach
1/2 cup cooked
3g

Swiss Chard
1/2 cup cooked
4g

Zucchini
1/2 cup cooked
4g

WHOLE GRAINS
AMOUNT
CARBS (grams)

Bread, whole wheat
1 slice
14g

Bread, multi grain
1 slice
17g

Oatmeal, cooked
1 cup
25g

Pancake, buckwheat mix
1/3 cup (3 cakes)
33g

Pancake, whole grain mix
1/3 cup (3 cakes)
28g

Pasta, whole wheat
1 cup cooked
37g

Popcorn, popped
3-1/2 cups
19g

Rice, basmati brown
1/4 cup dry
31g

Rice, brown
1/4 cup dry
33g

Rice, brown
1/2 cup cooked
22g

Rice, wild
1/2 cup cooked
18g

Rye bread
1 slice
15g

I'm curious, where did you get these carb numbers from? A few are not close to what I typically see. For example, the numbers for the whole wheat and multi-grain breads are on the low side for what I typically find in the supermarket. Many of these "healthy" breads have surprisingly high carb counts.

I was also rather surprised to find that potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams were not on the above list.

I'm curious, where did you get these carb numbers from? A few are not close to what I typically see. For example, the numbers for the whole wheat and multi-grain breads are on the low side for what I typically find in the supermarket. Many of these "healthy" breads have surprisingly high carb counts.

I was also rather surprised to find that potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams were not on the above list.

http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_Carbohydrate_Foods_with_Good_Carbs_Grams.shtml

Msmofet, I detest most whole wheat pasta. But, I have found Italian whole grain, wheat pasta in an Italian grocery store and at the health food store. I have tried three or four different brands and they are all really good.

I also make whole grain, wheat pasta when I am feeling energetic. It comes out yummy too. So, if you have some hard, whole grain, wheat flour that tastes good in other stuff, it should work well for pasta.

I find that whole grain wheat tastes much better than "whole wheat".

Last edited:
My biggest problem is knowing what to have for breakfast. I tend to eat Wheaties, which usually send my sugar up. Does anyone know of anything that is quick and easy to make for breakfast that is diabetes friendly? I'm type 2.

My biggest problem is knowing what to have for breakfast. I tend to eat Wheaties, which usually send my sugar up. Does anyone know of anything that is quick and easy to make for breakfast that is diabetes friendly? I'm type 2.

The best breakfast I have had that handles spikes in blood sugar is to have yogurt with your cereal stirred in. You need that protein from the yogurt to steady your sugars.

4 ounces of yogurt with 1/2 cup of sugarless cereal...:)

Whole oatmeal with almond slices is good. Turkey bacon cooks quickly in the micro

I make a 7-grain hot cereal and stir almond butter into it for Shrek...he loves it and it keeps his sugars steady. Most important...I like it too.:)

I usually have a low fat, no added sugar yogurt - like Lite and Fit because it tastes good. I have a problem with my blood pressure and phelalynine (Equal), so for a while I was eating greek yogurt, but found that the sugar was affecting my A1C - so I had to go back to artificially sweetened stuff. Whole grains, a protein source and fiber will help keep your sugars in check. Just watch the carbs, look at the amount of sugars in processed foods not just the carb count. Also, watch the high fructose corn suryp in foods, it may be fine in moderation, but it doesn't like diabetics.

Eggs are good for breakfast, for us Type 2s. I am doing low-carb, not worrying too much about calories right now, and have lost 14 pounds since Dec. 1. I have cut out most grains, potatoes and sugar, I am eating meat, eggs, lots of low carb veggies. Right now, I don't really crave anything.

I have been following Low Carb Friends bulletin board--lots of recipes, lots of ideas. (But, like most internet sites, take what you read with a grain of salt. Some fanatics on there with strange ideas.)

By the way, I am being testes for diabetes. This isn't the first time, but I am exhibiting many of the symptoms and my doctor seems much more concerned this time. Food-wise I am not too worried because I am already cooking for Dad, and as a Special Diets cook am very familiar with how to adapt meals. I just don't want another "illness" to deal with.

I know that isn't the right attitude, but I am sure I will be able to overcome it better once I know for sure. I know I will be asking you all some coping strategies.

By the way, I am being testes for diabetes. This isn't the first time, but I am exhibiting many of the symptoms and my doctor seems much more concerned this time. Food-wise I am not too worried because I am already cooking for Dad, and as a Special Diets cook am very familiar with how to adapt meals. I just don't want another "illness" to deal with.

I know that isn't the right attitude, but I am sure I will be able to overcome it better once I know for sure. I know I will be asking you all some coping strategies.
AWWWWWWWWW LP. I know exactly how you feel. Do you remember last year around this time? I stopped posting food pictures? I was so down in the dumps. But I got over it and my numbers were great after 3 months. A1C was 6.0 last month a year ago it was 11.4.

I think it is very important to remember that every diabetic is different. I, for instance, cannot eat fruit with out injecting extra++++ insulin. I know other diabetics that can practically live on fruit. I have a very low carb diet and that keeps me balanced ( at least in the diabetic sense :) ) but I also know diabetics who could win a gold in Olympic carb eating! I think it is a case of trial and error for most diabetics until they find their personal "middle road".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom