Diabetic stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Given the prevalence of diabetes these days I thought it might be a good idea to discuss diabetic friendly meals. What I am looking for here is foods that are low carb, especially low in processed carbs. It would also be helpful if they were budget friendly meals. I mean anyone can eat right if they spend enough , right? But lets face it, processed carbs are cheap so I don't expect to be able to do without them altogether. Just greatly limit them.So what are your ideas. And by the way, my DH won't go near anything with any spicy heat to it. Mild salsa is often too hot for him. Any ideas? Be specific please.

cooked barley
whole grain breads
soy beans-edamame
sourdough bread is o.k.
quinoa
beans
yams
brown rice
lentils
anything with fibre.

Replace all the white rice,potatoes,bread,pasta that you would normally use in a recipe with these.Limit the portion size as well.

I am type 2.
I went from an a1c of 17% and fasting glucose of 320 to 6% and 132 in 4 months.I got off daily insulin injections in the same time frame.If I can help in any way let me know.

I assume DH is roughly the same age as you.I started weight training and powerlifting at about the same age as him.It is truly as responsible for my change as much as the diet modifications.

Thanks, I just tried edemame on dh. He was less than thrilled though I put it in three different recipes. Maybe I'll try quinoa next.
Dave, thanks for the google search.

Sourdough bread is okay??Please explain. Isn't it just basically a white bread?

Also check out information on The Glycemic Index. Books like Good Carbs/Bad Carbs have some good information about that as well. Knowing the Glycemic values of foods can be really helpful for diabetics (I am type 2).

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Sourdough bread is okay??Please explain. Isn't it just basically a white bread?
Yes, Pumpernickel is the lowest glycemic bread and sourdough is the next lowest. Check out the site I just posted--it can explain it better than I can.

:)Barbara

I've read good carb/bad carb. I'm really looking for some new ideas that might tempt dh without the high glycemic thing. And without the high grocery bill.

Hamburger Kabobs served in lettuce lettuce leaves.No bun and some sweet potato oven fries.Spinach chimichurri dipping sauce.

Brown rice/salmon cakes on top of a sald.

Chicken and barley vegetable stew

Ground Turkey meatloaf with some ground flax in it. served with a soy bean puree and carrots.

Pork tenderloin with a quinoa salad and green beans.

Shrimp and grits with greens.

Pizza on a multi grain tortilla or whole grain crust.

You can adapt any of his favorites.Once you/he start there is no turning back.I don't even like the taste of white bread anymore.
Except for the occasional mashed potatoes with fish I use rarely use white potatoes.You just have to keep trying to find the ones that work for you.I can't do Kasha (buckweat) I don't like it.I do others instead. Spelt is o.k. too but it looks like bird food.

The fibre you eat can offset the carbs a little.I was also told that fibre supplements are equal to the fibre in an apple.Eat the Apple instead but don't just drink the juice.

Instead of changing the diet, alter it. Continue to make your favorites, but make some substitutions, like whole grain pasta instead of regular. Change things slowly. Don't throw everything out and start over...a good way to make everyone revolt against change. Small changes DO make a difference.

Shrek is type 2 and he eats regular ice cream...but his portion size has changed. Took him a little while before he realized he was satisfied with a smaller portion.

Has DH spoken with a Diabetic Educator or Dietician? He should, they are very helpful in making those small changes that keep a person happy while lowering their blood sugar. Help them make healthy choices.

The most important...Portion Control. Go by what it says on the packaging. If it says 4 portions...make it 4 portions. It's tough but worth it in the long run.

Okay...nurse mode off...anyone for frozen turkey bowling?

Thanks guys. Dh has been diabetic for many, many years but is just now beginning to take it a little seriously now that he is starting to see some negative effects to his health and I think it is scaring him. He is just beginning to think about portion control. And even then he eats far more than he should. I have always tried not to be the diet police but I do want to encourage his efforts. I'm trying to concentrate on replacing a few of the processed carbs with veggiesso he doesn't feel deprived. He's not good with change. Not good at all. So I do have to go easy with the whole thing. I will try some of the suggestions. Keep them coming!

If he has problems with portion control, which I can relate to, try making just enough for that meal. If the recipe makes more, package up and refrigerate or freeze what is left as soon as you plate up the meal.

Use smaller plates and bowls. I read some where that the size of a dinner plate used to be like 8" or 9" diameter and now they are 12" diameter. Smaller plates make portion sizes look bigger.

I agree that you need to make small changes a bit at a time. And unless he asks, don't tell him you made substitutions. Just do it. IOf you say, " try this I switched X for Y" you are already setting him up to look for a difference in taste, texture, etc.

Agrees with Dave. I got rid of our dishes that were oversized. I replaced them with colorful Fiestaware that is appropriately sized. Much easier for portion control.

Cauliflower can be a replacement for potatoes. I used to boil it until tender then make mashed "potatoes".

If you have some left over mashed "potatoes" bake it covered in cheese.

You can also make fried "rice" with cauliflower. Grate it then stir fry it. Warnning it can make a mess when you grate it.

Cauliflower can be a replacement for potatoes. I used to boil it until tender then make mashed "potatoes".

If you have some left over mashed "potatoes" bake it covered in cheese.

You can also make fried "rice" with cauliflower. Grate it then stir fry it. Warnning it can make a mess when you grate it.

This was great for Shrek and he loved it...OTOH...I still don't like cauliflower. I do it this way for him and try not to wave real potatoes in his face.

Actually I have made fauxtatoes. I steam the cauliflower so that it doesn't absorb as much water as boiling it does. But I have never tried to use it as rice. I'll try that.

Use smaller plates and bowls. I read some where that the size of a dinner plate used to be like 8" or 9" diameter and now they are 12" diameter. Smaller plates make portion sizes look bigger.

I believe it. We have a set of fine china that dates back to at least the 1920s. The dinner plates are about 9" in diameter and definitely seem small by today's platter-sized standard.

I've read good carb/bad carb. I'm really looking for some new ideas that might tempt dh without the high glycemic thing. And without the high grocery bill.

I bought a book several years ago called "Sugar Busters" It gives a good explanation of how diabetes affects you and why it is good to change "white" to "brown" as in rice, potatos, bread. There are good recipies in the back of the book as well. The glycemic index is good for reference but diabetics should be careful of eating only low glycemic foods, especially if they are using insulin or oral meds, sometimes there isn't enough carbs to offset the dose of medication. I am a type 2, and sometimes have a hard time balancing interesting with what is good for me. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom