Diabetic Tip for Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I haven't tried this yet myself, but someone in a diabetes group I belong to gave this tip, which she uses all the time.

She said that whenever she makes anything with flour she adds two or three heaping tablespoons of Benefiber to it. It increases the total fiber in the recipe, and she said it has helped keep her blood glucose levels from going up. She also said that if she is making a dark bread she adds apple pectin along with the Benefiber. She said that even brownies don't raise her bg levels now.

:)Barbara

Wow, thanks Barbara. I have a lot of friends that aren't diabetic but since menopause, they've developed glucose sensitivity which causes them to have symptoms like people who are hypoglycemic. I'll bet this tip would work well for them. And hey, who couldn't use more fiber?

You're right. Also, people who are trying to lose weight by eating lower glycemic foods can benefit from this too. In fact, I remember reading something (maybe in the Southbeach Diet book) about taking fiber (like Metimucil or Benefiber) right before eating, you will automatically lower the glycemic value of what you are eating.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom