"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 08-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Cook

Fragile diabetic

a close friend of mine recently moved his mother into his home because she is now a fragile diabetic and mostly blind. he is going to great effort to keep her blood sugar under control. she is on a strict diet that he perpares for her 3 times a day. she is stabilizing but hates the food. do any of you know tasty recipes that could help her enjoy eating again without putting her at risk? thanks for any replies even if you do not have a recipe, maybe just some tips.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I assume he knows her calorie intake, etc.

As far as adding flavor, if you look up the member name filus, you will find she posted many recipes giving diabetic exchanges. I think the key is herbs/spices/vinegars, etc. for flavor.

All I can tell you is I did a Google search for diabetic recipes and cooking for a diabetic and found some stuff that should help.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Cook

thanks for the reply.

he knows her calorie intake and her nutritionist has provided a day to day meal plan. i.e. 2 pieces bread or 1/2 cup rice, 4 oz. lean meat, 1 piece of fruit, for lunch.
i will keep searching the web and see whats out there.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Sous Chef

A suggestion - your friend might ask his mother what she wants to eat and adapt diabetic menus to her wishes. Sometimes this can be a control issue. For instance, if she wants red jello and he makes green she is apt to blow up. Difficult for us to understand, but it may be the only choice she has control of all day.

Another version of this is for them to go to a dietician, again asking the mother for her food preferences, then suggesting to son how to adapt them.

Your concern for your friend is admirable! He's in a tough spot.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sorry I wasn't anymore help. I truly think though that if uses different herbs and spices and even vinegars he will succeed in adding more flavor. This looks like some good reading...as does this.

I always hate to recommend "Google" - it sounds like I'm trying to get out helping - but it's the best thing I can think of. He can wade through the recipes he already knows she won't eat but then again, may find a recipe that has more flavor that she will like. While reading I'm sure he'll run across some great flavoring tips!

Old 08-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The dietitian is a good idea. Explain to her that mother is bored and very unhappy with her meal plan..Ask for ideas to give mom a change and make it more fun to eat. Even some sugar free jello might help . I know many who love the sugar free puddings but I find them a problem as the milk used is a lactose and that raises blood glucose... If I can help in anyway I'll be glad to, but the best thing to do is ask your doctor for a referal to a dietitian and insist on a meal plan for mom that will get her interested again.
kadesma
Old 08-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Cook

wow, thanks for all of the replies!
i have been there for meal time and he always asks her what she wants. she had an accident earlier in life that caused some mild brain damage, now with the blood sugar effecting her thinking she often changes her mind after being asked. she does not really understand why she can't eat whatever she wants like she used to. i was trying to help him find stuff that would at least remind her of what she used to eat. any splenda cookie recipes out there that might work? i'll keep loking and checking back here as well. i'm pretty sure he made an appointment with the nutritionist to address her displeasure with her meals.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

It sounds like he's just going to have have a lot of patience and love...and patience.......and patience. Roasted chicken is roasted chicken - she may recognize that as a comfort-type food. Stuff the cavity with thyme and lemons - it will only add flavor and nothing more. A simple pan sauce with a little pat of butter in the whole lot shouldn't hurt anything as he's not going to use much. Just don't totally disregard that small amount of butter when it comes to the rest of the meal.

My hat is off to him - he's just got to "love her" through mealtime.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sichuan dingdong View Post
i have been there for meal time and he always asks her what she wants. she had an accident earlier in life that caused some mild brain damage, now with the blood sugar effecting her thinking she often changes her mind after being asked. she does not really understand why she can't eat whatever she wants like she used to. i was trying to help him find stuff that would at least remind her of what she used to eat. any splenda cookie recipes out there that might work? i'll keep loking and checking back here as well. i'm pretty sure he made an appointment with the nutritionist to address her displeasure with her meals.
I'll look and see what I can come up with. YOu must remember though that it's not just the sugar you have to watch it's also the flour..Carbs are what we need to avoid in large quantities..
kadesma
Old 08-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sichuan dingdong View Post

go to splenda and you will find many desserts, including cookies. i am diabetic but not to that degree. i go there and always find something very good to make.

babe