Heart healthy cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook

I need help in developing a cookie bar that is soft to chew and made with the following ingredients:

Finely grated Apples as the only sweetener (maybe a few raisins) NONE IF THOSE FANCY POWDERS.:chef:
No added oils
No added sodium (sodium is deadly) that’s baking soda….
Flax seed meal and oat bran for high fiber (most important part)
Maybe ALOUND FLOUR for delectability and texture.
Possibly yogurt or dry milk
Rolled oats could help hold it together without eggs (never use egg yolks, only whites)

And of course vanilla and cinnamon (cinnamon helps control hunger) coriander?
My first attempt was about half inch think and had too much egg white, it cooked to fast.

Try it and tell me what to do?

I made some of these with only the almond meal and lemon juice and egg whites....they were so heavy and expensive that I think I should use some non glutinous flour with the almond flour, but what? Is pastry flour the only thing that will work?

Am I the only on that cares?

I think I may not get any help here, but I tryed apple sauce and rolled oats with egg whites agian....I think the secret is in the drying, slow cooking long enough for the inside to dry so that it is not mushy.

maybe add enough rolled oats to keep it dryish also.:ermm:

maybe the fiber in flax seed meal will help gell the batter.:angel:

I'm sorry you feel you are getting no help, but maybe none of us have the knowledge you are seeking.

I cook heart healthy, but not as stringent as your parameters are. All my forays in to baking heart healthy have been failures. I rely on moderation/portion control in the way of baked goods.

Last edited:
moisture content

ok I remembered that water does not work in cookies. so how about egg whites, maybe a little milk; or just moleasses. :angel:

diabetics would be better off with a little oil that anything else.

well rasins would be the best sweetner.:ermm:

ok I remembered that water does not work in cookies. so how about egg whites, maybe a little milk; or just moleasses. :angel:

diabetics would be better off with a little oil that anything else.

well rasins would be the best sweetner.:ermm:
That (raisina) depends on the diabetic. They send my bg's over the moon. so moderation and splenda help. You need to use your bg monitor and check at least 2 hours after eating. If bg's are 120 or less your fine. I'll look and see if I can find something that will help you.
kades

moisture or not moisture?

well I tryed the non moistureconcept only to end with hard crunchy stuff.

now a I gotta try a LITTLE moisture maybe yogert? molasses not so good...

Thick, Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I crave these badly....but I just can not eat butter or much oil or sugar, some rasins are ok .....so what does it take to get the right chewy texture? :(

maybe some peanut butter will make it soft enough to chew with out teeth? but I will never loose the 50lbs of fat if I keep eating more...

There are plenty of heart healthy cookie recipes out there, from the American Heart Association etc but I can't seem to find anything with all of your stipulations. I know the other members here would gladly help if they were able.

Well I tryed mixing peanut butter with yogert, works good but too much fat.

2.5 c rolled oats added after the yogert blend
1 cup yogurt
half cup honey (almost too sweet) molasses is realy bad.
lemon juice
egg whites? or flax seed meal?

I may have to use oil in place of peanut butter....oh the fat!:ohmy:

then I will add every thing else, like sodium.

Well I tryed mixing peanut butter with yogert, works good but too much fat.

2.5 c rolled oats added after the yogert blend
1 cup yogurt
half cup honey (almost too sweet) molasses is realy bad.
lemon juice
egg whites? or flax seed meal?

I may have to use oil in place of peanut butter....oh the fat!:ohmy:

then I will add every thing else, like sodium.
What about using powdered peanut butter? Much lower in fat than regular pb. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/that-new-powdered-peanut-butter-79110.html

resistance is not usless

yes, I must stop resisting and be assimilated,
but no no noooooo, aaaaahhh!

try this subterfuge:

1/2 c flax meal
2c rolled oats
2 ripe bananas
1c yogurt
maybe some almond meal

225 degrees

Latest posts

Back