"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

cake mixes with very low sugar content on the market. think it is betty crocker. i use splendia a lot in from scratch recipes. go on line and read about diabetes. knowledge is key to yummy tastes , you will learn what to sub so a small amount of carbs are ok
complex carbs are another way to go.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with babe...one thing , as a diabetic it is important to test our bg's. I do mine more than people like to hear. It's important to know where we are. We can't tell unless we do. I do a fasting then before a meal and 2 hours after a meal...several times more during the day and at night. I find it's easier to keep them down this way. How about you?
kadesma

Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i always test in am before breakfast and again in the evening before bed and i mean always. unless i get a bad reading at either time , i don't test anymore. usually i can feel where it as i am sure you can, especially if to low. it is important to use these tests to see if problem is being solved, with insulin if to high and food if to low.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i always test in am before breakfast and again in the evening before bed and i mean always. unless i get a bad reading at either time , i don't test anymore. usually i can feel where it as i am sure you can, especially if to low. it is important to use these tests to see if problem is being solved, with insulin if to high and food if to low.
I can tell if I'm low high's are more iffy..Unless ig very sleepy I've no idea where I am unless I test. I've been called a fanatic but I don't buy that not with hbaic's of 4-5's.Testing is one thing I'm fussy about for me.
kades