Hospital cook ISO ideas for diabetic and cardiac patients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

201 alma st

Assistant Cook
I work in a small hospital and we have some leeway when preparing our daily meals. I am looking for some good ideas for making sure my diabetic and cardiac patients enjoy their meals. thanks jan

Of course that is the protocol, but our nutritionist does welcome our creativity and that is why I ask the question. Certainly I would not just stampede my on ideas without approval from the expert. ty jan

Kudos for trying to make the food better. I personally think the hospital food I've had to feed my mom could have done with some sauteed onions, garlic, and peppers as an ingredient (for example if you're using a canned tomato sauce, sautee the above and add them, if appropriate to your patients). I think most diabetics are helped by switching whole grain starches for the plain white. Actually taste whatever margarine you're using and get the hospital to buy a better brand if (a) it has no flavor and (b) won't melt on a hot roll or toast. There is a vast difference in qualities of the latter. A lot of older patients are diverticular, so watch those seeds. I can't say enough for those above mentioned aromatic vegetables AND herbs; they're a good way to get flavor into foods when you're limited on how much salt you can use. For a lot of vegetable dishes a squeeze of lemon or lime will brighten up the flavor, and sometimes even the color.

As you and everyone else says, all under the consideration of the dietician.

I have spent too much time in hospitals this past year and the food is boring, but maybe it helped me lose weight by producing more Leptin hormone.

I think hospitals should stop using hydrogenated peanut butter (replace it with fresh ground) and use Black turtle beans!

Most of the veggies I eat from the cafeterias are horrible! And the meat! Maybe the cooks just don't have any experience with such concepts as good healthy food??

Last edited:
when i was in rehab last year, all of the food was just awful. way to many carbs for a diabetic. when i complained was told , they were within the guide lines. i did finally talk to the person in charge of the food. took two tries but finally got her to serve a plain over easy egg and toast. they had been serving gruel of some sort. i simply could not eat the lunches and dinners. really bad. my son brought in meals for me. did have yogurt and ice cream available. the so called butter was as you described. yucky, certainly did not speed up the get well process.

When my mom was in the hospital and later assisted living the focus seemed to be on the cost and not the health. It seemed to be do as we say not as we do. I found that to be laughable when I started paying the bills. The food was negligible compared to the other items involved.

I think the problem may be that they not only do not have to eat the food, but the financial committee has the final say.

I am always amazed that the same truck that delivers to the facility also delivers to the fancy restaurant down the street. How the cooks in pour facility can ruin food is a crime. And as Babetoo says, too carb heavy for Diabetics who want to control their diabetes with diet. Darn near impossible. Everything is breaded and processed foods. And we are supposed to be supporting their health.

I have been in and out so much this past year, I think I am now part owner. One of the things that really bother me is so many of the foods they serve us are totally made of chemicals. I have been makinig a very strong effort for the past four or five years to keep as many chemicals out of my diet as possible. The butter, sugar, salt, mayo, half and half are nothing but totally chemicals. Their chicken soup is completely void of any flavor or fat. YUK! And decaf coffee? I don't think so. I want to go out kickin'

Every time I have to go to the hospital, I grab my needlework survival kit. In the bottom of the bag is my sugar, sea salt and Chinese tea bags. And my kids know to bring me an Eggplant Parm or meatball sub. My middle son always brings me the largest Dunkin Donut coffee with extra sugar and half and half. Son #1 always brings me his latest meal that he cooked himself. And my daughter makes sure I get what ever she cooked the night before. Then the kitchen comes up and asks me why I am not eating the meals that are on my tray.

I have noticed that their mashed potatoes are instant. I can taste the difference. This hospital is one of the biggest in the state. Surely they can make an effort to give up better food. :pig:

I have been in and out so much this past year, I think I am now part owner. One of the things that really bother me is so many of the foods they serve us are totally made of chemicals. I have been makinig a very strong effort for the past four or five years to keep as many chemicals out of my diet as possible. The butter, sugar, salt, mayo, half and half are nothing but totally chemicals. Their chicken soup is completely void of any flavor or fat. YUK! And decaf coffee? I don't think so. I want to go out kickin'

Every time I have to go to the hospital, I grab my needlework survival kit. In the bottom of the bag is my sugar, sea salt and Chinese tea bags. And my kids know to bring me an Eggplant Parm or meatball sub. My middle son always brings me the largest Dunkin Donut coffee with extra sugar and half and half. Son #1 always brings me his latest meal that he cooked himself. And my daughter makes sure I get what ever she cooked the night before. Then the kitchen comes up and asks me why I am not eating the meals that are on my tray.

I have noticed that their mashed potatoes are instant. I can taste the difference. This hospital is one of the biggest in the state. Surely they can make an effort to give up better food. :pig:

And be a little more current on what the ADA says about sugar and the AHA says about low fat. I want butter and sugar. Natural, not chemicals...the only chemicals I need are the ones that keep my blood pressure under control, my heart ticking and my diabetes helping itself.

It doesn't matter what I order, I am an adult after all, I get the "special" diet brought to me...I told them NO sugar-free sweeteners because they make a condition, that I have under control, go full blown and I have to start all over again. The one place you do not want to have GI problems is in a hospital where you have to request assist to get to the bathroom NOW!

Revolt!

I think it is time that we did something positive about the hospital food. Do you know that you can file a complaint with the hospital’s Patient Advocate department?

You will have to write out in detail what needs to change and what they should do about it.

Another thing that should be considered is the noise pollution; I was not able to sleep without drugs.

But let’s see some ideas here, what is missing from the menu? Beans? Real peanut butter? Bread that has whole grain? Non-fat cream cheese made from drained yogurt?

How would you prepare vegetables that sick people can eat them? Got any recipes?

I think it is time that we did something positive about the hospital food. Do you know that you can file a complaint with the hospital’s Patient Advocate department?

You will have to write out in detail what needs to change and what they should do about it.

Another thing that should be considered is the noise pollution; I was not able to sleep without drugs.

But let’s see some ideas here, what is missing from the menu? Beans? Real peanut butter? Bread that has whole grain? Non-fat cream cheese made from drained yogurt?

How would you prepare vegetables that sick people can eat them? Got any recipes?

Nuts? In any form? I don't think you will ever find them in a medical setting. Too may folks are allergic to them. Although they are now finding that you can desensitize a child by exposing them to small amounts at a time.

Serve me veggies, that have skins on them, (corm, peas, etc) in baby form. I cannot digest the skins on full grown varieties. And for other veggies, cook them so I can get my fork in them. Don't cook my meat to the point of leather.
STOP SERVING ME CHEMICALS!! I am trying my best to get them out of my diet and you keep shoving them down my throat. I will go hungry first. :ohmy:

Carb Ferindly foods could include:

1. Fresh, steamed veggies, maybe drizzled with a little olive oil, and flavors such as garlic, onion, dill, etc. for seasoning.

2. Properly baked or roasted chicken.poultry, again seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices, or better yet, grilled over flame, not broiled, or boiled, or breaded.

3. Baked beans can be made with black beans, and flavored with Splenda, onion, mustard, and a bit of molasses.

4. Sugar-free gelatin deserts can be layered in alternating flavors (colors) by making the gelatin in hotel pans, and setting each layer before pouring in the new layer.

5. Whole grain pasta can be served with low-fat marinara sauce, with the ground beef browned, drained, and rinsed. Again seasoning the sauce is important. Add veggies such as chunky onion, carrot slices, mushrooms, black olives, etc. to the sauce to give it variety.

6. Fresh fruits are always a plus. My dietician states that the fruits I should be eating are berries, and fruits native to North America. Avoid high sugar citrus fruits, Tropical fruits, and watermellon.

7. Sweet Potatoes, made right are a deliscious and diabetic freindly food.

8. Any kind of beans, or lentil dishes (legumes) are good.

9. Meats should have some marbeling in them to make them palatable, and should be cooked properly to drain the fat away as it melts while the meat cooks. Leaner meats should be made into dishes that require braising. Season with herbs and spices to avoid using too much salt. Mushrooms are great with beef and poultry. Fruits can be used with pork and lamb.

10. All abked goods should be honest whole grain products.

11. Deserts can include gelatins, egg-based custards, pana-cota, fruit dishes, fruit and cheese, etc.

12. fruit smoothies can hide raw veggies such as carrot, and can include a wide variety of healthy fruit. I add silken tofu to my smoothies to both thicken, and decrease the amount of fruit sugars per serving.

13. Dishes like 3 bean salad are cheap, highly nutritious, and very refreshing. Just omit the cooking oil from the recipe.

14. Chicken, or poultry, stuffed with a forcemeat, or stuffing is always a hit. Cimply serve the chiken breast with the bones still attached, and the stuffing placed between the outer muscle, and the tenderloin. The hole for the stuffing is made by sticking your finger between the muscles. This helps season the chicken breast, and gives a reasonable serving of the stuffing.

15. Any number of roulaides, or rouladen can be made by pounding poultry, pork, or beef thin , and then rolling it around a stuffing, either savory or sweet.

16. Whole grain pasta can be served with, or without tomato sauce, and can be seasoned in endless ways, and mixed with endless ingredients.

17. There are countless stir-fries, sukiyaki, lo mein, chow mein, and Asian soups that are healthful, deliscious, and diabetic freindly.

18. Winter squashes can be made into soups, stuffed, or served straight up, with the proper seasonings, and are rich in beta carrotien, and other nutrients.

19, nuts and seeds can be added to salads, deserts, main corses, and snacks. Talk to your nutritionist to find which ones are the most healthy.

20. Fish can be poached, steamed, baked, or wrapped around other ingredients and baked. Choose mild, sweet fish for most recipes. There aer a few of us out there who love stronger flavored fish. But most everyone likes pollock, halibut, tilapia, perch, whitefish, etc.

21. Items like bacon can be used, but should be used as a seasoning for other foods, like steamed green beans. They would replace salt and add a smoky flavor. Bacon, fried crisp, and crumbled seasons so many other foods very well.

That should be good for a few ideas.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I just want them to understand that as adults we should be allowed to choose our own foods and condiments. I do just fine at home with my diabetes, eating real sugar, full fat and my salt intake is LOWER than their low salt diet. Some people can handle their own restrictions. I refuse to eat things that might have or do have artificial sweeteners.

Mom has divericulitis and Crohn's disease, no nuts, berries, whole grains or seeds of any kind allowed. Seems like hospitals don't really look at the individual's health needs. Thank you so much for caring!

Fruit strained of seeds, sorbet, parfaits with pureed nuts, fruit and yogurt cheese, mashed potatoes mixed with yogurt cheese and low sodium gravy with a touch of red wine, smoked fish mixed with low fat neufchatel or yogurt cheese and seasonings with Carr's crackers, turkey pepperoni and black olives, bruschetta, mini pizzas on tortillas with any of the above with low fat mozzarella.

I'm not a dietician, but asked my mom what she would like as a frequent and fiesty patient!

Last edited:
I just want them to understand that as adults we should be allowed to choose our own foods and condiments. I do just fine at home with my diabetes, eating real sugar, full fat and my salt intake is LOWER than their low salt diet. Some people can handle their own restrictions. I refuse to eat things that might have or do have artificial sweeteners.

I agree about the artificial sweeteners. There have been studies that artificial sweeteners confuse the body and the production of insulin.

How do you feel about the use of sweet alcohols like sorbitol, etc.?

I agree about the artificial sweeteners. There have been studies that artificial sweeteners confuse the body and the production of insulin.

I have the same problem with the alcohols, too.

High-Fructose Corn Syrup has the same effect on the body.

taxlady said:

I saw something similar.

I don't know why you would add sweetener of any kind to beans. Although I did add tomato paste to some the other day along with dry onion. both sweet?

Carb Ferindly foods could include:

3. Baked beans can be made with black beans, and flavored with Splenda, onion, mustard, and a bit of molasses.

Back
Top Bottom