"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 09-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hospital cook ISO ideas for diabetic and cardiac patients

I work in a small hospital and we have some leeway when preparing our daily meals. I am looking for some good ideas for making sure my diabetic and cardiac patients enjoy their meals. thanks jan

Old 09-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Executive Chef

whoa, I would be consulting with the registered dietitian for ideas on therapeutic diets.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Of course that is the protocol, but our nutritionist does welcome our creativity and that is why I ask the question. Certainly I would not just stampede my on ideas without approval from the expert. ty jan
Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Master Chef

Kudos for trying to make the food better. I personally think the hospital food I've had to feed my mom could have done with some sauteed onions, garlic, and peppers as an ingredient (for example if you're using a canned tomato sauce, sautee the above and add them, if appropriate to your patients). I think most diabetics are helped by switching whole grain starches for the plain white. Actually taste whatever margarine you're using and get the hospital to buy a better brand if (a) it has no flavor and (b) won't melt on a hot roll or toast. There is a vast difference in qualities of the latter. A lot of older patients are diverticular, so watch those seeds. I can't say enough for those above mentioned aromatic vegetables AND herbs; they're a good way to get flavor into foods when you're limited on how much salt you can use. For a lot of vegetable dishes a squeeze of lemon or lime will brighten up the flavor, and sometimes even the color.

As you and everyone else says, all under the consideration of the dietician.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Cook

I have spent too much time in hospitals this past year and the food is boring, but maybe it helped me lose weight by producing more Leptin hormone.

I think hospitals should stop using hydrogenated peanut butter (replace it with fresh ground) and use Black turtle beans!

Most of the veggies I eat from the cafeterias are horrible! And the meat! Maybe the cooks just don't have any experience with such concepts as good healthy food??
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

when i was in rehab last year, all of the food was just awful. way to many carbs for a diabetic. when i complained was told , they were within the guide lines. i did finally talk to the person in charge of the food. took two tries but finally got her to serve a plain over easy egg and toast. they had been serving gruel of some sort. i simply could not eat the lunches and dinners. really bad. my son brought in meals for me. did have yogurt and ice cream available. the so called butter was as you described. yucky, certainly did not speed up the get well process.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Master Chef

When my mom was in the hospital and later assisted living the focus seemed to be on the cost and not the health. It seemed to be do as we say not as we do. I found that to be laughable when I started paying the bills. The food was negligible compared to the other items involved.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Cook

I think the problem may be that they not only do not have to eat the food, but the financial committee has the final say.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am always amazed that the same truck that delivers to the facility also delivers to the fancy restaurant down the street. How the cooks in pour facility can ruin food is a crime. And as Babetoo says, too carb heavy for Diabetics who want to control their diabetes with diet. Darn near impossible. Everything is breaded and processed foods. And we are supposed to be supporting their health.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been in and out so much this past year, I think I am now part owner. One of the things that really bother me is so many of the foods they serve us are totally made of chemicals. I have been makinig a very strong effort for the past four or five years to keep as many chemicals out of my diet as possible. The butter, sugar, salt, mayo, half and half are nothing but totally chemicals. Their chicken soup is completely void of any flavor or fat. YUK! And decaf coffee? I don't think so. I want to go out kickin'

Every time I have to go to the hospital, I grab my needlework survival kit. In the bottom of the bag is my sugar, sea salt and Chinese tea bags. And my kids know to bring me an Eggplant Parm or meatball sub. My middle son always brings me the largest Dunkin Donut coffee with extra sugar and half and half. Son #1 always brings me his latest meal that he cooked himself. And my daughter makes sure I get what ever she cooked the night before. Then the kitchen comes up and asks me why I am not eating the meals that are on my tray.

I have noticed that their mashed potatoes are instant. I can taste the difference. This hospital is one of the biggest in the state. Surely they can make an effort to give up better food.