"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
I think I better check this forum often

Just had my phisical, blood sugar is high, not "diabetic" Thank G-d yet. But very close. Better start watching what I eat.

__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Just had my phisical, blood sugar is high, not "diabetic" Thank G-d yet. But very close. Better start watching what I eat.
Charlie diabetes can creep up on you and by the time the symptoms become noticeable, it is too late. You are a diabetic. Once a diabetic, always one. I am no longer on any medication for my diabetes, but that doesn't mean I am no longer a diabetic. It just means I am able to control it by diet alone.

Cheer up. You will find that the foods you are allowed to eat to keep your sugar levels low are really not that bad. It is mainly a matter of portion control. And a balanced diet. More proteins, less carbs. You will even find that you will lose a few pounds. Not a bad thing after all. Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie diabetes can creep up on you and by the time the symptoms become noticeable, it is too late. You are a diabetic. Once a diabetic, always one. I am no longer on any medication for my diabetes, but that doesn't mean I am no longer a diabetic. It just means I am able to control it by diet alone.

Cheer up. You will find that the foods you are allowed to eat to keep your sugar levels low are really not that bad. It is mainly a matter of portion control. And a balanced diet. More proteins, less carbs. You will even find that you will lose a few pounds. Not a bad thing after all. Good luck.
Addie, are you telling me I eat more like a diabetic? I had my bloodwork done in May. My glucose was at the low end of normal. My dad was told the same thing, Charlie. Dietary changes followed and it is under control.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Just had my phisical, blood sugar is high, not "diabetic" Thank G-d yet. But very close. Better start watching what I eat.
High blood sugar could mean that you are Pre-diabetic. It means that you should change your eating habits so you won't become a diabetic. My Aunt was able to change the way she ate and was able to bring those levels down. She is NOT a diabetic! Good thing you found out about it now. Good luck with getting those levels back down.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post

High blood sugar could mean that you are Pre-diabetic. It means that you should change your eating habits so you won't become a diabetic. My Aunt was able to change the way she ate and was able to bring those levels down. She is NOT a diabetic! Good thing you found out about it now. Good luck with getting those levels back down.
That is exactly what doctor said. My diet is horrible, I love sweets, I love carbs. Cannot even think where to begin.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Addie, are you telling me I eat more like a diabetic? I had my bloodwork done in May. My glucose was at the low end of normal. My dad was told the same thing, Charlie. Dietary changes followed and it is under control.
Exactly. If everybody ate the diabetic diet, there would be no obesity or diabetes, Type 2. This is why it is so important for children to start eating right in childhood, not when they get a warning from their doctor later in life. Michelle Obama has the right idea in teaching children by letting them grow their own food. More veggies, less carbs or carbs with more protein in the same meal. Put those chips down and go for a pear or an apple instead. Start munching on celery.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That is exactly what doctor said. My diet is horrible, I love sweets, I love carbs. Cannot even think where to begin.
Charlie has anyone told you all the effects of Diabetes? First it attacks your eye sight. You find that you need your lens changed more often each year. Then it attacks your circulation system. Walking becomes painful. The calves of your legs cramp up and you have to stop and let the pain subside. Over the years you face amputation, first with your toes, then the foot, then further up the leg. While all that is going on, it is attacking your major organs. Kidneys, liver and yes your heart.

Want to see your kids grow into adulthood and give you grandchildren? Do you want your grandchildren to see you in a wheelchair with both legs missing?

Time to start eating a sensible diet. CWS has some excellent suggestions on eating a sensible diet.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie has anyone told you all the effects of Diabetes? First it attacks your eye sight. You find that you need your lens changed more often each year. Then it attacks your circulation system. Walking becomes painful. The calves of your legs cramp up and you have to stop and let the pain subside. Over the years you face amputation, first with your toes, then the foot, then further up the leg. While all that is going on, it is attacking your major organs. Kidneys, liver and yes your heart.

Want to see your kids grow into adulthood and give you grandchildren? Do you want your grandchildren to see you in a wheelchair with both legs missing?

Time to start eating a sensible diet. CWS has some excellent suggestions on eating a sensible diet.
Thanks, Addie. How I eat is not for everyone, but I have found that by starting each day with my protein-greens-grains breakfast, I have lost all inclination to eat chips or sweets (which is too bad, because I do enjoy baking). Not sure what you eat, CharlieD, but maybe you could meet with a nutritionist/dietician so that you can still enjoy some of the foods you like, but made more diabetic friendly? There are many folks on this forum who have walked the same road and can most likely give you some great tips.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Exactly. If everybody ate the diabetic diet, there would be no obesity or diabetes, Type 2. This is why it is so important for children to start eating right in childhood, not when they get a warning from their doctor later in life. Michelle Obama has the right idea in teaching children by letting them grow their own food. More veggies, less carbs or carbs with more protein in the same meal. Put those chips down and go for a pear or an apple instead. Start munching on celery.
She might have a right idea but the execution is as everything else is backwards and messed up.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Charlie has anyone told you all the effects of Diabetes? First it attacks your eye sight. You find that you need your lens changed more often each year. Then it attacks your circulation system. Walking becomes painful. The calves of your legs cramp up and you have to stop and let the pain subside. Over the years you face amputation, first with your toes, then the foot, then further up the leg. While all that is going on, it is attacking your major organs. Kidneys, liver and yes your heart.

Want to see your kids grow into adulthood and give you grandchildren? Do you want your grandchildren to see you in a wheelchair with both legs missing?

Time to start eating a sensible diet. CWS has some excellent suggestions on eating a sensible diet.
I know, believe me I do. It just my schedule is so messed up and because of that I am so tired I do not know where to begin. I'd be happy to eat meat all day long, vegetables not as much. I never really at vegetables.. In soviet days they were only available in the summer Tim, winter we ate everything pickled. 9 month of winter versus only 3 month of summer. I am going to go for pickle before I'd go for a cucumber. I decided to start slow, I am going to stop eating sweets. And try to progress from there.
Thank you for helping.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.