ISO Diabetic Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marissa82

Assistant Cook
it needs to be fat free and sugar free; its for my grandma because i cant seem to find any diabetic ice creams in the store
preferably recipes which would not need an ice cream maker
thanks

Fat free, sugar free AND no ice cream maker? Whoah, that's going to be hard to do. At least hard to do well. You might want to look into ziplock ice cream- cream, sweetener and flavoring sealed in a zip lock bag and then frozen for a bit, squished, frozen some more, etc.

You could sub skim milk for the cream, but I'm really not sure how palatable it would be.

Breyers has a low fat ice cream that I think is sugar free called "cal smart." I've never tried it, but it might be good.

thanks for the idea but i live in australia so the brands u mention would be most likely unfamiliar
i have considered skim milk instead of cream but as u mentioned i somehow dont think it would come out quite right

i have googled some recipes but they usually come up as either fat free or sugar free not both and i don't think i am quite prepared to make adjustments to the recipes quite yet

You could make a sugar/fat free milkshake. It's about as close to ice cream as you can get and probably the best you'll be able to do without an ice cream maker.

Simply put in a blender some ice cubes, skim milk, sugar substitute and a flavour extract. (vanilla, banana, etc.) If you want a coffee flavoured milkshake (like a frappacino) add in a dash of instant coffee powder or a splash of cooled brewed coffee.

If you want a richer, thicker milkshake, you could use some fat free vanilla yogurt in addition or in place of the milk.

You can also freeze fat/sugar free yogurt in the freezer but take it out before it completely solidifies and is scoopable with a spoon.

Does that help at all?

You could make a frozen yoghurt, there are plenty of varieties of low fat, no sugar yoghurts, which you could freeze in a shallow metal tray, take out of the freezer every half an hour or so, beat, and then put back again.

Icecream can be made two ways, with either cream (not an option for you) or a custard base. A low fat custard made with custard powder and splenda should do the trick, then follow above method, freezing in a shallow metal tray and beating regularly. It's not going to be the same as bought ice cream, but that's the point of making it at home!

I know there are diabetic friendly icecreams in Oz, I am originally an Australian, and my mum and dad are both diabetics now. There is one made by Peters, I think, that comes in squares individually wrapped. There are probably loads of others, it's been a long time since I was at an Aussie supermarket.

Consider getting an icecream maker, they aren't too expensive, and in a few months you'll be able to pick one up in the sales!

scott123 said:
Breyers has a low fat ice cream that I think is sugar free called "cal smart." I've never tried it, but it might be good.
Dreyer's has Slow Churned Sugar Free ice cream, low fat, sweetened with Splenda. It's my fav. I couldn't even taste anything different.
1744p.jpg
http://www.dreyers.com/

If you have fat free half and half (Land O Lakes brand in USA) and a sucralose sweetner (Splenda brand in USA) you can take 12 oz. frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup sucralose, and 2/3 cup fat free half and half and blend in a blender. Makes 3 servings, but it doesn't do well in the freezer so if she is making it just for herself, this would be easy make just half of the recipe and eat it all.

Back
Top Bottom