ISO help preparing diabetic-friendly meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I might be providing a meal for a family in need in my town. It will be for approximately 5 people. I'm still trying to find out the details, but one of the requirements is to make a diabetic/low carb meal for the family.

Any ideas? I believe this might be something I will have to transport from my house to somewhere.

Anything from the South Beach or Atkins cookbooks should be acceptable.

If you want specific instructions, please give me an example of what you would like to serve, i.e. type of meat, types of vegetables. Please, do not even think about spaghetti and meatballs unless your up for a real labor intensive cooking session.

Hi, I have diabetes (insulin dependant) and I try to stay away from anything with refined grains (white bread, pasta, rice). If you serve a starch, make sure it is whole grain or potatoes with skins on in a small portion.

Pick lots of vegetables and beans to fill up the main dish and provide fiber.

Cheeses have little to no carbs, so a cheese tray would be a good appetizer.

You can make a dessert with splenda, but fresh fruit would be healthier.

Avoid serving regular soda, fruit juice, and most alcohol. many diabetics who drink like rye whickey and diet soda, but ask your guest.

I would probably suggest a meal like this:
appetizer- cheese tray with fruit/veggies (avoid processed crackers)

soup! Soups are great for people with diabetes. Use whole grain rice or pasta in it. Try to do a broth soup, so it is less fattening (minestrone would be good)

Salad- get some nice mixed greens and add avocados (almost no carbs/has healthy fats) and serve homemade croutons and vinagrette on the side. Avoid storebought dressing as some contain sugar.

Dinner- chicken or fish is always a healthy option. Garnish liberally with steamed vegetables and herbs. If you serve with a starch, limit the portion to 1/2 cup and make sure it is not processed and contains some fiber.

desssert- 1/2 cup of fresh fruit or melon with a yougurt sauce.

Hope these suggestions help!
There should be a lot of recipes for diabetic dishes on the web if your guest needs carb counts. Just make sure to portion according to the recipe guidelines.

I have a yummy chicken dish that I make sometimes. You sear chicken and than you put it into an oven casserole dish. You top it with terriki sauce, ranch dressing, cut up chives, bacon bits and cheese. You than cook it in the oven for 1/2 hour or so.

Is that doable? It's definetely a TREAT chicken dish.

Diabetic and lo-carb are not necessarily the same thing. My husband needs 30 carb units for breakfast and lunch, and 60 for supper. Then he eats a cup of fruit 3X/day. It has worked so well he is no longer considered diabetic (his doc is amazed, but then, I've always been a healthy cook). From what I know (cooking for hubby, and having a Type 1 who visits every few years), just avoid a lot of processed foods, especially sweets. But don't totally avoid starches, just prepare them separately so that the diabetics can take how much they need. In other words, potatoes, pasta, rice, and bread are NOT off limits, the diabetics need to be able to see and mentally measure them (in most cases hubby can have 1/2 c each for breakfast and lunch, a full cup for supper). I am selective with bread, trying for as much fiber as I can get per carb count, and I've found a brand at each of the two grocery stores I frequent that fit the bill. I have the numbers listed on the inside of the notebook I write my grocery list on. If you are cooking for diabetic friends, simply prepare dishes where the starches are separate, so that they can make their own decisions; do pay attention to the bread; and do aim at sugar-free deserts (even then don't be surprised if your diabatic friends do not partake). My husband decides if he wants potatoes or wine or desert, he is a grown-up and that is his decision. With children it is harder.

Back
Top Bottom