ISO Low Carb Foods for Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamasara

Assistant Cook
I am type 1 diabetic and looking for new recipies that are low in carbs. Anyone have any good suggestions? Thank you:chef:

I've got a recipe for chilli coriander lamb and barley salad and one for thai basil chicken stir-fry.
Any good?

Where in the world are you?
I got a cook book from a Twitter competition from Cook_AWW. It's the Austrailian Woman's Weekly but the foodie bits' based in the UK (no idea why but whatever). Quite good. Few carbs in places (pizza, rice etc) but there's some good stuff there. If you're in the UK and on Twitter you could always DM them and ask if they've got any spare.

Use the glycemic index to help plan your meals. Pick foods with a low glycemic index and low glycemic load. That will help keep the carbs down.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Here are some links to information about the Glycemic Index (GI) and glycemic loads (GL). The first is a site with a lot of information. Of particular note are the FAQ's for some quick, easy to understand information and a simple formula for calculating GL, and the GI food database where you can look up foods to see what their GI is. The second link is a list of some common foods with their GI and GL.

The Glycemic Index
Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health Publications

Once you figure out which foods you like that are low on the GI, it's a lot easier to find recipes to meet your needs. If you find any good ones or create any good ones, let us know! And if you have questions let us know those too. My experience so far is that people here are usually pretty good about helping out. Oh, and welcome to DC!

This is a good thread. I better pay atention. My wife just got diagnosed with diabetis, and I must change my cooking.

Back
Top Bottom