"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 01-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #91
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The compound butter is a great tip, blue cheese compound butter is good on a steak. Some of the garlic and herb combinations are nice with seafood. You can keep a log or two in the freezer and just cut off what you need for a single serving.

blissful, a couple more thoughts on CRUNCH. Commercially made pork rinds do not have any carbs and they do have a nice crunch, similar to chips. Kale chips are available commercially and are easy to make at home. You need to go easy on them though because they do contain some carbs. If it's any consolation the need for crunch does slowly fade.

Good luck!
Thanks Aunt Bea, this is an excellent idea, you could even wrap some servings for yourself and take them with you when you go out to eat!

For crunch, I've been leaning towardsraw veggies. But then, I've been off crunch for a while now since I got my falsies... And I agree with the pork rinds. Have heard of, but not tried, using the pork rinds crushed in place of breadcrumbs as a coating.

I made Blackberry Fat Bombs last night...they are not as good with dark chocolate as the strawberry or raspberry, but really just fine on their own.

I have some orange blossom water, orange, lime and lemon zest...those might be good in a fat bomb, too!

Walmart had cream cheese on sale after Christmas...Fat Bombs are my way of dealing with the massive amount I compulsively purchased (it was on Saaaaale!!!. And the Fat Bombs taste better with unsalted butter.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #92
Cupcake

Wow! Our keto-team is growing!

Like PF, I've been leaning on veggies for the crunch, but I did try a Carb Balance Whole Wheat tortilla as a sandwich wrap which has 6 Net carbs. It was surprisingly good, but I don't recommend eating more than one in a day as it starts with 32 g carbs and subtracts the 26 g fiber to get those 6 Net carbs. It made a very satisfying wrapped around sous vide pork loin, lettuce, sour cream and salsa.

Earlier in the week, I wanted a "crunch" and had tacos made with Bibb lettuce leaves. With the cheese, sour cream, and guacamole, I did not miss the shells nearly as much as I thought I would.

I have found that when I eat too much protein and/or too little fat, my bg is higher and I am prone to having some nausea. Other than that, I'm feeling better than I have felt in a very long time. My britches are looser and, more importantly, I've been able to reduce the amount of insulin! Needless to say, I'm thrilled.

When I started, I was sure I would miss pasta, rice, and bread. Surprisingly, I've not craved any of those. Mine has been potatoes. A friend gave me a recipe with cooked cauliflower mashed with butter and cream cheese. I hope they are good!

So this is day 11 for me. Less insulin, feeling better, and weight loss are ensuring I'll stick with it for a while...hopefully a long while. Today, I made more fat bombs, and also I also made some faux French Onion Soup for lunches this week.

I found some spiced orange pekoe black tea. Using cream and stevia, it has been a treat! I think it is good iced too.

Steve, PF, and others: You have all been really helpful. I would not have made it past day three without you. Totally worth the challenges.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #93
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I used a rotisserie chicken carcass, onions, celery, carrots and garlic to create a stock. I made a chicken, salsa verde, chili and lime stew, (no thickener, just reduced it way down), stirred in avocado oil when it didn't have enough fat to suit me. I got 4-1 cup servings, placed those in ziplocks, labelled and freezing flat. I will thaw, reheat and serve over steamed, drained zucchini.

There was less than 1/4 cup of stew left in the pan, since I already had the bags sealed, I put the chicken stew left in a small pan, chopped a broccoli crown into it and a little water. Brought to a boil, added a little more chili lime seasoning and simmered until the broccoli was tender. Stirred in some heavy cream...I'll never be able to replicate this fantastic soup.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #94
Wine Guy

I posted this in the dinner thread as well. My first attempt at making batter fried cod using almond flour. The slaw is also keto friendly and, of course, so is the tartar sauce.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #95
Wine Guy

Also, I was worried this meal might be a little too carby for a diabetic. I haven't actually sat down and calculated the numbers yet, but a cursory glance at ingredient labels seemed to point that way.

I checked my BG both before and after dinner.

Before dinner (preprandial to you, PF): 79 mg/dl
45 minutes after dinner: 105 mg/dl

Although a 26 mg jump is somewhat higher than what I usually see after meals, it's not terribly bad.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #96
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Also, I was worried this meal might be a little too carby for a diabetic. I haven't actually sat down and calculated the numbers yet, but a cursory glance at ingredient labels seemed to point that way.

Although a 26 mg jump is somewhat higher than what I usually see after meals, it's not terribly bad.
LOL!! I'm not a stickler for medspeak, unless I can't say what I need to in 'merican.

That is a very good blood sugar for 45 minutes after a meal. Once a week would not do much harm. Looks like a really good meal.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #97
Wine Guy

It was good, and a fun experiment, but kind of a lot of work overall. I made the mayo (used in both the slaw and the tartar suace) from scratch, which I guess I wouldn't have had to do.

I need to play around with the batter a bit. I got the base recipe from a diabetes web site, but I don't think it was tested very well. I ruined three pieces of fish trying to get the batter and oil temperature just right.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #98
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I used a rotisserie chicken carcass, onions, celery, carrots and garlic to create a stock. I made a chicken, salsa verde, chili and lime stew, (no thickener, just reduced it way down), stirred in avocado oil when it didn't have enough fat to suit me. I got 4-1 cup servings, placed those in ziplocks, labelled and freezing flat. I will thaw, reheat and serve over steamed, drained zucchini.

There was less than 1/4 cup of stew left in the pan, since I already had the bags sealed, I put the chicken stew left in a small pan, chopped a broccoli crown into it and a little water. Brought to a boil, added a little more chili lime seasoning and simmered until the broccoli was tender. Stirred in some heavy cream...I'll never be able to replicate this fantastic soup.
That sounds fantastic. I love soup. All kinds of soup.

Quote:

The fish looks terrific. Could you tell us the recipe and how you made it?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #99
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
It was good, and a fun experiment, but kind of a lot of work overall. I made the mayo (used in both the slaw and the tartar suace) from scratch, which I guess I wouldn't have had to do.

I need to play around with the batter a bit. I got the base recipe from a diabetes web site, but I don't think it was tested very well. I ruined three pieces of fish trying to get the batter and oil temperature just right.

I've been playing with food, too. Also going through my TNT recipes to see if I can turn them Keto. I keep looking at my King Arthur Cookbooks and feeling sad.

Decided I miss oatmeal the most. Cooked some for Shrek tonight, it was a struggle.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #100
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
[FONT=Century Gothic]The fish looks terrific. Could you tell us the recipe and how you made it?
Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe that's TNT enough to post. I made up the batter according to a recipe I found on a diabetic website, but it wasn't a good recipe. The batter started way too thin, so I ended up playing with the amount of almond flour until the consistency seemed right.

Also, the recipe had me heat the oil to 365 degrees. I can tell you that it was WAY too hot for almond flour and burned almost immediately. I had to reduce the temp to 325 and use smaller pieces of fish in order to get them to cook all the way through.

So, in short, more experimentation is needed before I can post a recipe.

Tags
diet