"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #101
Head Chef

PF, I would like to try your cabbage dressing. I don't happen to have Teriyaki sauce, but I may try to make it with soy sauce, sugar substitute, ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar and a dab of molasses.

Steve, From some of the online sources I've seen coconut flour used in coconut shrimp and on another source they said coconut flour was difficult to use as a breading for frying (too clumpy). Almond meal/flour sounds like a great idea. I loved the picture.

I used the first link in GotGarlic's post to make crackers.
3/4 cup coconut flour (which turns out to be 3 oz)
2 T water
4 T butter
4 oz cheddar cheese
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
2 oz parmesan cheese
Added, three eggs for moisture and structure.
Put in everything except water and eggs into a food processor, then add water and eggs.
It made a soft dough, I rolled it out between two sheets of parchment.
Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes, sprinkle with salt and score into cracker size (1 and 1/2 inches). Bake another 20 minutes, starting to brown. Turned oven down to 300 F for another 20 minutes to get them completely dry. I may bake them more to get the middle crackers drier. There are 25 crackers and 20 partial crackers, so approximately 35 crackers.

Nutritional information based on this web site. Coconut flour| nutrition facts and health benefits coconut flour
Just the coconut flour, 3 oz.
15 g protein
33 g fiber
51 g carbs (net 21 g)
12 g fat
372 calories
Let's say a serving is 5 crackers 372/7=53 calories
5 crackers carbs 21/7=3
Isn't it odd that a cup of coconut flour is only 3 oz?
They smelled slightly coconutty when they began to bake, that went away and they started smelling cheesier by the end.
These will do in a pinch (on keto), they taste okay, could use more salt, and they'd make a good base for a cheese spread or dip, and they need that. The texture, well, it's odd, but they are holding together well and not breaking up due to the eggs. (because breaking up is hard to do....)

I can really see coconut flour used in cookies. I can't fathom yet the idea of making biscuits or bread with it. (but I will be trying that)

Some online sources like the one above said coconut flour is very absorbent of liquid, and a rule of thumb is 1 C flour to 6 eggs+1 C water.

Go Keto-Team! (Kathleen, that made me laugh)

Old 01-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #102
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wait until I get over the top about my CPAP machine. I'm the Keto-CPAP-Yoga Monster.

Just made a Virgin Bloody Mary with an egg...I haven't worked out the calories and fat:protein, but it's tasty.

Got a Magic/NutriBullet, it makes my Bulletproof coffee excellent by emulsifying the coconut oil into it and I was able to make the Ogre an Orange Julius with an egg. He's loving it.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #103
Wine Guy

Watched an interesting documentary tonight called "Cereal Killers." It's about an Irish soccer player with a genetic disposition for heart disease and diabetes who decides to challenge the traditional dietary guidelines and go on a low carb high fat diet. Although the phrase "ketogenic diet" is never mentioned, it's clear that's exactly what he's doing. I thought it might be of interest to our keto team.

https://www.yekra.com/cereal-killers
Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 AM   #104
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks Steve, I'll have to watch it.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #105
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe that's TNT enough to post. I made up the batter according to a recipe I found on a diabetic website, but it wasn't a good recipe. The batter started way too thin, so I ended up playing with the amount of almond flour until the consistency seemed right.

Also, the recipe had me heat the oil to 365 degrees. I can tell you that it was WAY too hot for almond flour and burned almost immediately. I had to reduce the temp to 325 and use smaller pieces of fish in order to get them to cook all the way through.

So, in short, more experimentation is needed before I can post a recipe.
Fair enough. I love fish with malt vinegar. I cannot wait for you to perfect the recipe. *waits* Got it yet?

Regarding the cereal killers, I'll have to watch it. It seems that I'm hearing about keto everywhere I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wait until I get over the top about my CPAP machine. I'm the Keto-CPAP-Yoga Monster.

Just made a Virgin Bloody Mary with an egg...I haven't worked out the calories and fat:protein, but it's tasty.

Got a Magic/NutriBullet, it makes my Bulletproof coffee excellent by emulsifying the coconut oil into it and I was able to make the Ogre an Orange Julius with an egg. He's loving it.
What is a Magic/NutriBullet? Would it help me increase the fats? I'm constantly coming in too low on the percentage of fats in my diet. No issues sticking to ~25% carbs, but proteins have been too high and fats too low. As a result, I've seen a slight bounce up in my bg.

Bliss, thanks for the cracker recipe! I'd love a cracker for lunch once in a while. I also have a cracker recipe. Will post it if it turns out but won't make it prior to the weekend.

~Kathleen
Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #106
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
...I'm constantly coming in too low on the percentage of fats in my diet. No issues sticking to ~25% carbs, but proteins have been too high and fats too low. As a result, I've seen a slight bounce up in my bg.
I've gotten somewhat... um... creative with fats lately. A couple of days ago I actually found myself spreading butter on a slice of cheese in order to hit my macros.

Some other ideas...

Do you like macadamia nuts? Turns out they are about 85% fat. I've been skipping lunches and eating a quarter cup of nuts instead. The fat adds up quickly with those.

Cream cheese is a good source, too. I eat that whipped Philly stuff with raw broccoli spears or celery. Heck, I could eat that stuff right out of the tub.

My fat count for today was 82%
Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 AM   #107
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Magic Bullet an individual serving blender. It whips my coconut oil into my coffee so it does not pool on the top. Makes less of a mess than my stick blender, especially when I am not quite awake.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #108
Wine Guy

I hit a new low today!

This is before dinner. In the last 10 years I have never before had blood sugar this low.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Whoohoo!! Congarats, Steve!!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #110
Master Chef

Very nice!

Tags
diet