"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 01-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #131
Head Chef

Kathleen, I put a tablespoon or so of mustard, and the same amount of vinegar or lemon juice, then a bunch of olive oil and salt and pepper, good and juicy. That over the coles slaw, rich and delicious.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #132
Head Chef

I highly recommend taking a leisurely browse through Reddit's keto board. It's very active and full of outstanding recipes, tips and tricks.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #133
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Kathleen, I put a tablespoon or so of mustard, and the same amount of vinegar or lemon juice, then a bunch of olive oil and salt and pepper, good and juicy. That over the coles slaw, rich and delicious.
That sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I highly recommend taking a leisurely browse through Reddit's keto board. It's very active and full of outstanding recipes, tips and tricks.
I love good recipe sites! Thanks!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #134
Master Chef

I'm curious if any of you use lo carb protein powders to make meal replacement shakes.

I'm looking for something simple that I could use for a quick breakfast or lunch, sort of like the old Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #135
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sorry Aunt Bea, most protein powders have artificial sweeteners, which I don't use.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #136
Wine Guy

I've never been much for the powdered shakes, either. In addition to the artificial sweeteners mentioned, they also, by their very nature, don't tend to have much fat, which is the linchpin of this way of eating.

For quick eats, I try to have stuff available in the fridge that's easy and nutritious: rotisserie chicken, cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #137
Cupcake

Though I had to fast yesterday because I had a minor procedure this morning, I was unable to take my base insulin. The BG this morning (without food or insulin) was 87. Wow!

So now that I am home and quasi-loopy, I'm considering what to make for the Superbowl. Traditionally, friends join here to watch. Last year, I made gumbo with little oyster po-boys. I'm not sure at all what to make this year. Lettuce wraps are great, but I wonder how it will go over as people eat them on my leather sofa - you know? I did come across this recipe for keto-buns. While not something I would want to make often, I wonder if it would solve my Superbowl party dilemma. I thought of making them hotdog style and having Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions. Has anyone tried something like this?

~Kathleen
Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #138
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Though I had to fast yesterday because I had a minor procedure this morning, I was unable to take my base insulin. The BG this morning (without food or insulin) was 87. Wow!

So now that I am home and quasi-loopy, I'm considering what to make for the Superbowl. Traditionally, friends join here to watch. Last year, I made gumbo with little oyster po-boys. I'm not sure at all what to make this year. Lettuce wraps are great, but I wonder how it will go over as people eat them on my leather sofa - you know? I did come across this recipe for keto-buns. While not something I would want to make often, I wonder if it would solve my Superbowl party dilemma. I thought of making them hotdog style and having Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions. Has anyone tried something like this?

~Kathleen
You buy or make rolls, etc that you would normally serve your guests for their meal. They are not on a new food lifestyle. Or you could call them and explain about your new food lifestyle and ask them what they would like. I bet if you serve a good antipasto plate and the sausages with peppers and onions. Folks might not notice the lack of bread. I would not make the Keto-buns for them, that is asking for alienation, unless they know beforehand and agree to be guinea pigs.

I just had salmon chunks (the fatty belly portion) marinated in Tamari, ginger,garlic and sesame oil. Scrambled egg (cooked in avocado oil) with the salmon and juices poured over.

I have a larger portion of a salmon steak marinating in a sweet and spicy teriyaki sauce, it should make two servings. I will serve that with some frozen stir fry veggie mix.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #139
Executive Chef

I agree with PF that I would still have some of the foods you usually serve at the get-togethers, but make sure the leftovers go home with your guests. Make lots of low carb foods that you can eat. No need to mention that it's a special eating plan. It's all good food, and they might like it, too. Sometimes if you say you are following a certain eating plan, others will try to get you to try just a teensie piece of something. What works best for me is to tell them my doctor told me to cut back on carbs. Who wants to try to get you to go against the doctor's orders?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #140
Cupcake

I'm not the type of person who would "hide" foods or pretend they are something they aren't. All of those close to me are aware and supportive - just as I support others in their lifestyle choices. For the superbowl, I'll have some items that will work for my low-fat friend and I'll skip seafood since one does not eat shellfish. It's a good challenge to see what can work for everyone.

Tonight we had liver and onions. I made mashed cauliflower that ended my "wow, if only I had mashed potato" cravings. A friend at work suggested mashing cauliflower with Parmesan, sour cream, and butter. Instead, I used cream cheese, butter, a bit of heavy cream, a pinch of garlic, and salt/pepper to taste. Good enough for me to log the recipe for another day!

~Kathleen

Tags
diet