Ketogenic Diet for Controlling Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I have had a bit of a backslide. :unhappy:

The short story. We've been to four different parties at peoples' houses over the last week, three in the last two days alone. Two of these parties involved "grazing" buffet type tables. The other two was just being served food and drinks I couldn't have. While I thought I was being pretty good at saying "no" and picking around things, it was very difficult to keep track of everything that was going into my mouth. :pig:

The end result is that when I stepped on the scale this morning, it showed that I had gained back three pounds. Arrgh!

Today I am going to get the train back on the rails by going back to the basics. I don't mind weight loss stalling and not losing anything, but gaining back hard lost weight is just not acceptable.

The short story. We've been to four different parties at peoples' houses over the last week, three in the last two days alone. Two of these parties involved "grazing" buffet type tables. The other two was just being served food and drinks I couldn't have. While I thought I was being pretty good at saying "no" and picking around things, it was very difficult to keep track of everything that was going into my mouth. :pig:

The end result is that when I stepped on the scale this morning, it showed that I had gained back three pounds. Arrgh!

Today I am going to get the train back on the rails by going back to the basics. I don't mind weight loss stalling and not losing anything, but gaining back hard lost weight is just not acceptable.

I think it's just water.

In order to gain three pounds you would need to take in 10,500 extra calories that your body does not need.

Remember the immortal words of Mike Finnegan's derailment report to his supervisor on the Great Western Railway!

" Off again, On again, Gone again -- Finnegan." :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Steve, you will run into these situations the rest of your life. It's only one day, meal, party, etc. I agree with Aunt Bea that it's water weight and will come right off as soon as you get back to your regular way of eating. Just don't make any plans to go on vacation with these people. LOL

I think it's just water.

In order to gain three pounds you would need to take in 10,500 extra calories that your body does not need.
It could very well be. I don't usually weigh myself every day just for that reason, but I almost always see a drop when I do my Monday "weigh in," and usually it's a 1.5 to 2 lb loss. Occasionally it just stays the same. But this would be the first gain I've seen, so it caught me a little off guard.

The only thing I can think of that would have been different about last week was all the functions and outings we went to where I wasn't able to accurately track what I was eating.

Ah well.... hopefully next week will be better, and the end game is all that really matters.

Last edited:
As others have pointed out, I also think it is water. It's hard to stay true to the diet when others take the reins. Don't be hard on yourself. You have done a great job!

You've still done amazing.

As others have pointed out, I also think it is water...

I think you guys were right. I weighed in again this morning and two of those pounds seem to have gone back to pound purgatory. I'm still up one pound but that's nothing more than a little extra time at the gym tonight.

Thanks for taking me down! :)

I made a low carb chocolate mousse/cheesecake the other day that tasted pretty good to a chocolate deprived diabetic! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I whipped 3/4 cup of heavy cream with 1T Splenda and a 1/2 t vanilla extract. In another bowl I whipped 4 ounces of cream cheese, 1T Hershey's cocoa, 2T Splenda. I added two thirds of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture and beat it until the mixture was fully combined. Divide the chocolate mixture into two serving dishes and top with remaining whipped cream, chill until serving time.

I want to try a lemon version of this for Easter and also a peanut butter flavored mousse. I like the idea of this because it can be made quickly, in small quantities, using things that are fairly common and not terribly expensive.

I have to be the worst patient for any medical person to have in their care. I don't follow any regiment when it comes to doing what I should be doing. I only check my sugar level only when I come on line and someone mentions "diabetic." I do avoid the foods I should, and I don't have a problem with that. I do not miss sugar items or high carbs. When I do eat, it is mostly protein. If I have anything else with it, it will usually be a veggie.

So I want to thank all of you for making it easier for me to remember to check my sugar levels. I keep an Xcel chart and print it out for Winthrop to enter into their computer records. I enter the info from my meter and then fax it to Winthrop. Winthrop finds it amusing that I fax it to them. Everyone else keep it in the little book and Winthrop makes a copy of it. And I want to thank I think it was TaxLady for the little trick she gave us to check and see what my A1c level is. Right now it is 126. :angel:

Try this Ideal sweetener >> Ideal® No Calorie Sweetener It tastes like sugar. It tastes better than all the others including Nectresse. It is available in regular, brown and confectioners variety. You can use cup for cup in bake BUT unlike Splenda Ideal doesn't change the volume and density of the finished product like Splenda does. AND the brown sugar variety IS NOT 1/2 regular brown sugar it is all Ideal. I buy it on Amazon.

My A1C went from 12 (yup 12) 4 years ago down to 6.5.

Last edited:
Try this Ideal sweetener >> Ideal® No Calorie Sweetener It tastes like sugar. It tastes better than all the others including Nectresse. It is available in regular, brown and confectioners variety.

About six months ago my A1c was 7.4. I was horrified. The nurse said not to worry. It was still in the acceptable range. She also reminded me that I am not taking any meds for diabetes. Not in my book.

I worked on getting it down. I check it a little while ago. 6.3. That is much better. I love that little thing on checking our A1c on our own. Before I had to wait six months before they had the blood work done. Now that I can check my A1c myself, I am more aware of what foods I am eating. I now make a very concerted effort to keep my A1c in the 6. level. :angel:

Try this Ideal sweetener >> Ideal® No Calorie Sweetener It tastes like sugar. It tastes better than all the others including Nectresse. It is available in regular, brown and confectioners variety. You can use cup for cup in bake BUT unlike Splenda Ideal doesn't change the volume and density of the finished product like Splenda does. AND the brown sugar variety IS NOT 1/2 regular brown sugar it is all Ideal. I buy it on Amazon.

I buy the regular Ideal on Amazon. They don't have the brown and confectioners at the moment.

More info:

Ideal® No Calorie Sweeteners come in packets and pouches for sprinkling and baking. Ideal® Brown No Calorie Sweetener and Ideal® Confectionery Low Calorie Sweetener, both made with absolutely no sugar, are also available for use in baking, frosting, swirling and much more!

50 & 100 count cartons provide the perfect size for any home. A single packet sweetens like two teaspoons of sugar

The resealable 10.6 ounce pouch maintains freshness and is convenient for everyday use. Ideal® White Granulated measures cup-for-cup like sugar.

http://www.idealsweet.com/about/products.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom