"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #141
Wine Guy

Well, I have had a bit of a backslide.

The short story. We've been to four different parties at peoples' houses over the last week, three in the last two days alone. Two of these parties involved "grazing" buffet type tables. The other two was just being served food and drinks I couldn't have. While I thought I was being pretty good at saying "no" and picking around things, it was very difficult to keep track of everything that was going into my mouth.

The end result is that when I stepped on the scale this morning, it showed that I had gained back three pounds. Arrgh!

Today I am going to get the train back on the rails by going back to the basics. I don't mind weight loss stalling and not losing anything, but gaining back hard lost weight is just not acceptable.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #142
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
. I don't mind weight loss stalling and not losing anything, but gaining back hard lost weight is just not acceptable.
Steve,

It happens. You have done an amazing job, don't be too hard on yourself.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #143
Master Chef

Quote:

The short story. We've been to four different parties at peoples' houses over the last week, three in the last two days alone. Two of these parties involved "grazing" buffet type tables. The other two was just being served food and drinks I couldn't have. While I thought I was being pretty good at saying "no" and picking around things, it was very difficult to keep track of everything that was going into my mouth.

The end result is that when I stepped on the scale this morning, it showed that I had gained back three pounds. Arrgh!

Today I am going to get the train back on the rails by going back to the basics. I don't mind weight loss stalling and not losing anything, but gaining back hard lost weight is just not acceptable.
I think it's just water.

In order to gain three pounds you would need to take in 10,500 extra calories that your body does not need.

Remember the immortal words of Mike Finnegan's derailment report to his supervisor on the Great Western Railway!

" Off again, On again, Gone again -- Finnegan."
Old 01-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #144
Executive Chef

Steve, you will run into these situations the rest of your life. It's only one day, meal, party, etc. I agree with Aunt Bea that it's water weight and will come right off as soon as you get back to your regular way of eating. Just don't make any plans to go on vacation with these people. LOL
Old 01-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #145
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I think it's just water.

In order to gain three pounds you would need to take in 10,500 extra calories that your body does not need.
It could very well be. I don't usually weigh myself every day just for that reason, but I almost always see a drop when I do my Monday "weigh in," and usually it's a 1.5 to 2 lb loss. Occasionally it just stays the same. But this would be the first gain I've seen, so it caught me a little off guard.

The only thing I can think of that would have been different about last week was all the functions and outings we went to where I wasn't able to accurately track what I was eating.

Ah well.... hopefully next week will be better, and the end game is all that really matters.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #146
Cupcake

As others have pointed out, I also think it is water. It's hard to stay true to the diet when others take the reins. Don't be hard on yourself. You have done a great job!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #147
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

You've still done amazing.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #148
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
As others have pointed out, I also think it is water...
I think you guys were right. I weighed in again this morning and two of those pounds seem to have gone back to pound purgatory. I'm still up one pound but that's nothing more than a little extra time at the gym tonight.

Thanks for taking me down!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #149
Wine Guy

Quote:
Thanks for taking me down!
Oops.... meant to say TALKING me down.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #150
Cupcake

Quote:
Oops.... meant to say TALKING me down.