"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 03-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #151
Master Chef

I made a low carb chocolate mousse/cheesecake the other day that tasted pretty good to a chocolate deprived diabetic!

I whipped 3/4 cup of heavy cream with 1T Splenda and a 1/2 t vanilla extract. In another bowl I whipped 4 ounces of cream cheese, 1T Hershey's cocoa, 2T Splenda. I added two thirds of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture and beat it until the mixture was fully combined. Divide the chocolate mixture into two serving dishes and top with remaining whipped cream, chill until serving time.

I want to try a lemon version of this for Easter and also a peanut butter flavored mousse. I like the idea of this because it can be made quickly, in small quantities, using things that are fairly common and not terribly expensive.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #152
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to be the worst patient for any medical person to have in their care. I don't follow any regiment when it comes to doing what I should be doing. I only check my sugar level only when I come on line and someone mentions "diabetic." I do avoid the foods I should, and I don't have a problem with that. I do not miss sugar items or high carbs. When I do eat, it is mostly protein. If I have anything else with it, it will usually be a veggie.

So I want to thank all of you for making it easier for me to remember to check my sugar levels. I keep an Xcel chart and print it out for Winthrop to enter into their computer records. I enter the info from my meter and then fax it to Winthrop. Winthrop finds it amusing that I fax it to them. Everyone else keep it in the little book and Winthrop makes a copy of it. And I want to thank I think it was TaxLady for the little trick she gave us to check and see what my A1c level is. Right now it is 126.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #153
Master Chef

Try this Ideal sweetener >> Ideal® No Calorie Sweetener It tastes like sugar. It tastes better than all the others including Nectresse. It is available in regular, brown and confectioners variety. You can use cup for cup in bake BUT unlike Splenda Ideal doesn't change the volume and density of the finished product like Splenda does. AND the brown sugar variety IS NOT 1/2 regular brown sugar it is all Ideal. I buy it on Amazon.

My A1C went from 12 (yup 12) 4 years ago down to 6.5.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #154
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Try this Ideal sweetener >> Ideal® No Calorie Sweetener It tastes like sugar. It tastes better than all the others including Nectresse. It is available in regular, brown and confectioners variety.

About six months ago my A1c was 7.4. I was horrified. The nurse said not to worry. It was still in the acceptable range. She also reminded me that I am not taking any meds for diabetes. Not in my book.

I worked on getting it down. I check it a little while ago. 6.3. That is much better. I love that little thing on checking our A1c on our own. Before I had to wait six months before they had the blood work done. Now that I can check my A1c myself, I am more aware of what foods I am eating. I now make a very concerted effort to keep my A1c in the 6. level.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #155
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Try this Ideal sweetener >> Ideal® No Calorie Sweetener It tastes like sugar. It tastes better than all the others including Nectresse. It is available in regular, brown and confectioners variety. You can use cup for cup in bake BUT unlike Splenda Ideal doesn't change the volume and density of the finished product like Splenda does. AND the brown sugar variety IS NOT 1/2 regular brown sugar it is all Ideal. I buy it on Amazon.

I buy the regular Ideal on Amazon. They don't have the brown and confectioners at the moment.

More info:

Ideal® No Calorie Sweeteners come in packets and pouches for sprinkling and baking. Ideal® Brown No Calorie Sweetener and Ideal® Confectionery Low Calorie Sweetener, both made with absolutely no sugar, are also available for use in baking, frosting, swirling and much more!

50 & 100 count cartons provide the perfect size for any home. A single packet sweetens like two teaspoons of sugar

The resealable 10.6 ounce pouch maintains freshness and is convenient for everyday use. Ideal® White Granulated measures cup-for-cup like sugar.

http://www.idealsweet.com/about/products.html

Tags
diet