"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
Wine Guy

This is a typical breakfast on my diet: 2 eggs fried in duck fat, sand stuffed with 1/2 cup spinach, mushrooms, olives, and about an ounce of goat cheese. I also had a cup of coffee with real cream. The whole thing is high in fat, high in protein, with a total of about 5 carbs. It will definitely keep me full until lunch time.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Dinner tonight is brie with red pepper jelly and smoked oysters...miss crackers. Managed to keep it at 16 grams carbs for the meal, will have a salad after with lemon vinaigrette.
That sounds like a good dinner. I have to stay away from things like pepper jelly, though. Even if it keeps me under the carb limit, I find that the taste of something sweet can trigger sugar cravings - at least for me.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That omelet looks divine!

Lately I have been having trouble digesting butter. I've had to completely switch to vegetable oils, avocado oil has been fine.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That omelet looks divine!

Lately I have been having trouble digesting butter. I've had to completely switch to vegetable oils, avocado oil has been fine.
Thanks! I've had the same problem with butter before. I have to mix it up a bit. In the course of a day, I try to stick to animal fats as much as I can (it makes me feel full longer), but I also use quite a bit of olive oil. I need to look into avocado oil.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Avocado Oil – Pure and Cold Pressed – Health Benefits | Chosen Foods - Chosen Foods I've been getting it at Costco. Less greasy tasting, very light.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

Any word on how this diet works on cholesterol levels and heart disease? That's more the issue at my place now that DH has had stent placement.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Any word on how this diet works on cholesterol levels and heart disease? That's more the issue at my place now that DH has had stent placement.
The link between saturated fat and heart disease has always been a tenuous one. On the other hand, there have been several studies done that appear to indicate that increasing fat in the diet (and especially saturated fat) and reducing carb intake can provide benefits to people with heart disease.

This is an interesting research study that was performed in Kuwait:
Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

83 patients with high cholesterol, obesity, and elevated blood glucose were put on a ketogenic diet for 24 weeks.

Results were promising:
"The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant."
Another article in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
"Cardiovascular disease. Several lines of evidence point to beneficial effects of VLCKD (Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet) on cardiovascular risk factors. In the past, there have been doubts expressed about their long-term safety and increased effectiveness compared with 'balanced' diets, and clearly negative opinions regarding possible deleterious effects on triglycerides and cholesterol levels in the blood.26 However, the majority of recent studies seem instead to amply demonstrate that the reduction of carbohydrates to levels that induce physiological ketosis can actually lead to significant benefits in blood lipid profiles."
I hate pointing to this or that study, because you can always find a study to support certain claims. I suppose the best advice is to talk to your doctor, and draw your own conclusions, although I think the medical community as a whole is still stuck on the low fat/whole grain bandwagon.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not on any medication for my Diabetes Type one. The last time I was on Metformin, it kept making me sick. So the doctor took me off it. But he keeps asking me if I would be willing to try it again. He is satisfied with my numbers and my last A1c had gone down quite a bit. I control my diet very closely. I do understand that bread is a problem for a lot of folks. Fortunately for me, I don't like bread all that much. And if I make desserts, it for someone outside of my home. So I don't get to eat them at all.

I am not sure if what I eat is really controlling my disease. I do have weird eating habits. Tonight I am going to have a baked and seasoned chicken thigh along with a small baked potato. No veggie only because I don't have any in the house. I usually buy petite peas and broccoli frozen. But this month I have been on a veggie kick. I didn't eat at all yesterday. And I probably won't eat tomorrow. But I am going shopping tomorrow afternoon with my daughter and will pick up some veggies to have in the house. I would much rather have the veggie than the potato.

I feel that I have my diabetes under control. I stay away from the carbs and sugar. My diet consists mostly of protein. Now if I could just lose five more pounds, I would be happy.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The link between saturated fat and heart disease has always been a tenuous one. On the other hand, there have been several studies done that appear to indicate that increasing fat in the diet (and especially saturated fat) and reducing carb intake can provide benefits to people with heart disease.

This is an interesting research study that was performed in Kuwait:
Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

83 patients with high cholesterol, obesity, and elevated blood glucose were put on a ketogenic diet for 24 weeks.

Results were promising:
"The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant."
Another article in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
"Cardiovascular disease. Several lines of evidence point to beneficial effects of VLCKD (Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet) on cardiovascular risk factors. In the past, there have been doubts expressed about their long-term safety and increased effectiveness compared with 'balanced' diets, and clearly negative opinions regarding possible deleterious effects on triglycerides and cholesterol levels in the blood.26 However, the majority of recent studies seem instead to amply demonstrate that the reduction of carbohydrates to levels that induce physiological ketosis can actually lead to significant benefits in blood lipid profiles."
I hate pointing to this or that study, because you can always find a study to support certain claims. I suppose the best advice is to talk to your doctor, and draw your own conclusions, although I think the medical community as a whole is still stuck on the low fat/whole grain bandwagon.
Thanks, Steve. Saved me a little time digging up a reference for tomorrows cardio appointment.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks for the references Steve. I may link them to DH so he can read up on it too.

Tags
diet