"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 11-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #21
Cupcake

Steve,

Did you purchase a cookbook or find a site to give you meal ideas?

~Kathleen

Old 11-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #22
Wine Guy

I have a couple of books I've been referring to, as well as some online resources (below). I don't use any one of them exclusively.

To be perfectly honest, I'm still learning. I just eat very simply for the most part, and will probably continue to do so until I figure out what I can and can't do. For most meals, I weigh out 3-4 ounces of whatever protein I'm having, a cup of vegetables, and make sure there is plenty of fat in every meal - on average 3 or 4 tablespoons. I try to stick to either saturated or monounsaturated types of fat.

The fat is important and a key to success. While I was tempted to skimp at first (old habits die hard), I'm slowly learning that when I include plenty of fats in my meals, I feel full longer and have much more energy. I also have less problem with inflammation.

By the way, I'm down 26 pounds now.

Good resources:
"The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek. This book has many recipes.

"Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars" by Richard K. Bernstein

"Keto Living" by Ella Coleman

Ketogenic Diet Resource (online)

A Guide to the Keto Diet | Ruled Me (online)

Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I almost forgot, I did order Dr. Bernstein's book. I have myself cut down top 100 gms carbs right now and am working on the next 50 to reduce and then the last 20...hard to give up the sugar in my coffee...
Old 11-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #24
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I almost forgot, I did order Dr. Bernstein's book. I have myself cut down top 100 gms carbs right now and am working on the next 50 to reduce and then the last 20...hard to give up the sugar in my coffee...
Good for you! I know exactly what you mean about sugar in coffee. It's my one daily sweet indulgence. I recently switched to stevia, but am not completely sold. I'll probably be going back to Splenda.

Below is my incentive to keep things up. This was my blood glucose 30 minutes after dinner tonight.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I can't wait to see those kind of numbers. I'm satisfied right now with postprandial of <140. My HbA1C was 7.4 and I just had fasting lipids done so we can check again in January and see how the diet is doing. Both Docs were happy with this choice to try Ketogenic. New pain medication so I am getting some mobility back, too!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #26
Cupcake

I've never seen those kind of numbers. :( I've seen okay numbers, but not awesome numbers.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ketopia - Strange and wonderful things related to low carb ketogenic diets.

Found this one this morning.

Have ordered a few more books. Researching because my blood sugars have gone up...which appears to be normal switching from insulin dependent control to the Keto diet. I'm actually causing glycogen dumping increasing my blood sugar.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #28
Wine Guy

Another good blog here written by Dr. Peter Attia, a very knowledgeable and interesting guy:
The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

I had all kinds of weird ups and downs the first week I was on the diet. I would get up in the morning and my blood sugar would be 130-150, but then would gradually come down as the day went on. Just like you, I think it was a case of my liver releasing glycogen stores while I slept.

The other time I had trouble keeping it under control was around Thanksgiving. It totally perplexed me, because I thought I was being good. What I suspect happened is that I was exceeding my protein limits by scarfing down leftover turkey and ham. As I'm sure you are aware, any excess protein that the body can't use is converted to glucose. Just as if I had eaten a pastry. I've adjusted my eating to cut back on protein, and voila! Blood glucose was back to normal within a day.

My fasting BG is almost always right around 92-94 when I get up in the morning. By midday it's usually down in the mid to low 80s. After I eat a meal, it may go up 10-15 mg/dl but comes back down within an hour.

Interestingly, my wife's BG is typically a little higher than mine. She's on the diet, too, but is not diabetic (her last A1C was 5.3). She's lost about 12 pounds, last I heard, and is looking good.

By the way, I've now lost 34 pounds. And I'm actually looking forward to getting my blood work done again in January.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I looked at the almond flour - 1/4 cup serving, 6 g carbs - 3 g dietary fiber.

Been reading up on avocados and how good they are for a diet. Bad season for avocados in Montana, but I bet the Wholly Guacamole will be fine.

I made zucchini pasta tonight. Steamed it, tasted fine but left a puddle on the plate. Next time I am just going to leave it raw and let the pasta sauce heat it. Nice dinner!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #30
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Been reading up on avocados and how good they are for a diet. Bad season for avocados in Montana, but I bet the Wholly Guacamole will be fine.
Avocados are one of my favorite things!

I am down 35 pounds this morning. I find it simply astonishing that in one day I can eat prime rib, a slice of leftover cheese and pepperoni "meat-za," an omelet swimming in butter, and still somehow manage to lose weight.

Next week, the new gym that is being built down the road will be opening, and I am excited to start going. It's an "age 50 and over" place with specially designed machines for cardio and weight training that are supposed to be less stressful on joints. And best of all, there will not be a single treadmill in the place, according to the owner. Yay! I hate treadmills!

Tags
diet