"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 12-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #41
Master Chef

I am in the same boat. Tried dieting for about 2 month and actually did really well, but then I slipped. I love bread, I love potato, I love noodles. I love everything that i am not supposed to eat.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, I love all that too, Charlie. But, I love myself more and Shrek needs me, so lifestyle changes are in order.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #43
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, I love all that too, Charlie. But, I love myself more and Shrek needs me, so lifestyle changes are in order.

This is where I am in that I love myself more. My blood work is terrible and it matches how I feel. So am starting a ketogenic diet. I'm really a bit nervous about simply feeding myself on my work schedule, but I have to do something.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
This is where I am in that I love myself more. My blood work is terrible and it matches how I feel. So am starting a ketogenic diet. I'm really a bit nervous about simply feeding myself on my work schedule, but I have to do something.
I'm noticing changes in my Diabetes, Blood Pressure, GERD. Sleeping better, too!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:20 AM   #45
Wine Guy

Oh my gosh. I forgot about GERD. Prior to keto, I had been taking 40mg Omeprazole for the last two years. I had my last dose 6 weeks ago and have not had one instance of reflux since.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't miss battling with GERD at all. Time for my Avocado omelet.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #47
Cupcake

Okay, so I started with the food changes and am on Day 3. I love that I'm not hungry and my BG has already dropped some, but has a long way to go. I need better ideas for breakfast. Something more "Grab & Go." Thoughts?

A secondary question: How long does it typically take to get ketosis really happening? After day three, the ketostix says "trace."
Old 01-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ketosis can take a week to 6 weeks to reach. Just keep plugging along.

I made a large ham and cheese omelet today and cut it into 4 portions, then I froze them. They are ready to go when I get up in the morning. I'm thinking next time I will pour the egg and ham into a buttered muffin tin, topping with cheese after they are baked until set. Cool and freeze. Would make portions easier.

Just finished sauteing onions and mushrooms in bacon fat, adding in more bacon for an easy toss into scrambled eggs.

I've not been hungry in the morning, so I just take it along with me to work or eat by 11 AM each day. I only eat one meal a day and then a couple of snacks, one about 4 PM and another when I take my night meds.

Coconut oil has become a go to for adding fat to a meal. Butter for cooking eggs and now the bacon fat...I rendered that from a 2 pound package of ends and pieces I get from a local smokehouse. Using the bacon fat for cooked veggies.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #49
Wine Guy

I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge for quick "grab and go" breakfasts. Other times I just heat up what was left from a previous night's meal (I'm not one of those breakfast-must-be-eggs kind of people).

It took me just over a week to flush most of the existing glucose out of my system and get into full ketosis.

Also, here's a tip: make sure you don't eat too much protein. I found out the hard way that some of the protein you eat will get converted into glucose while you sleep. I woke up a few mornings to BG of 130-140. After bringing the protein down to 90 gms a day, it dropped right back down to normal levels again.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #50
Wine Guy

Here is a book I can recommend if you want to kick start your diet a bit:

Fat Fast Cookbook: 50 Easy Recipes to Jump Start Your Low Carb Weight Loss - Kindle edition by Dana Carpender, Amy Dungan, Rebecca Latham, Andrew DiMino, Jimmy Moore. Cookbooks, Food & Wine Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I've had several of the recipes, and have found them to be very good (I had the individual pumpkin pies for dessert just tonight). Plus, the Kindle version is only $4.61.

Tags
diet