"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #71
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
So I walked in a meeting today and see four boxes of pizza and was able to say no thanks. I've never been a huge pizza fan, but I never saw pizza look so good. I'm feeling good and my bg is dropping so that is where I pull my willpower! (Mind you - it has only been eight days for me though.)
My office has "Bagel Wednesdays" and monthly birthday cakes. The irony is that beginning in 2016, they are planning to make any employee with a BMI greater than 29 pay more to get the same healthcare benefits as everyone else. Personally, I think they're going to be opening themselves to some legal challenges by doing that but, as of now, that's the plan.

Kathleen, I've always loved pizza and bread and all those sorts of things, but I find my willpower holding strong after 2 months. In fact, the longer I go without it, the easier it is to turn it down.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:43 AM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Kathleen, I've always loved pizza and bread and all those sorts of things, but I find my willpower holding strong after 2 months. In fact, the longer I go without it, the easier it is to turn it down.
I was very big on baking and baked goods! It has taken me a long, long time to let them go! I got to the point where I was allowing myself a treat once a month and now I don't bother, it became more trouble than it was worth. The key, for me, was finding an acceptable alternative. When everyone else is eating pizza I have chicken wings, some pepperoni and cheese or a Meat-zza. I made it through the eating season this year without a slip up by using my substitution game. My A1C this week was 6.6, not bad for an old foodie!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #73
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I was very big on baking and baked goods! It has taken me a long, long time to let them go! I got to the point where I was allowing myself a treat once a month and now I don't bother, it became more trouble than it was worth. The key, for me, was finding an acceptable alternative. When everyone else is eating pizza I have chicken wings, some pepperoni and cheese or a Meat-zza. I made it through the eating season this year without a slip up by using my substitution game. My A1C this week was 6.6, not bad for an old foodie!
That's a great A1c number. When I had mine checked in October, it was 12.5!

I had follow up blood work done on Wednesday - the first time since I've been on this diet. I hope to have the results by Monday. I'm very curious to see how it comes out. I'm 100% certain the blood sugar will be lower, because I've been monitoring that fairly close. But I'm really curious to see how the lipid profile looks. I've been eating lots of fat and meat, which is stuff I've avoided for most of the last 30 years because it was supposedly unhealthy.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #74
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm going to have my A1c drawn the last week of January and adjust from there. A1c going into the diet was 7.4. I think the doc missed my thyroid panel last month on my annual, so will be adding that in, too.

Not hungry this morning...guess I'll just stick with my coffee. And I got a full 7 hours of sleep last night.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #75
Master Chef

This little calculator has helped me to better understand the connection between my 30 day average glucometer readings and my A1C. It obviously depends on when you take your readings and how honest you are with yourself.

https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose...lculator.html#
Old 01-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #76
Wine Guy

So I got my lab results back during lunch. Overall, very good news with the blood sugar results. The lipid panel was a mixed bag.

Comparing with the October test...

Serum Glucose: 87 (down from 238)
Hemoglobin A1c: 5.6 (down from 12.5)
Est. Avg. Glucose: 114 (down from 312)

Total Cholesterol: 205 (up from 195)
Triglycerides: 148 (way down from 330)
HDL: 41 (up from 34)
LDL: 137 (up from 95)
VLDL: 30 (down from 66)
LDL/HDL Ratio: 3.3 (up from 2.8)

So to recap, my glucose is still just slightly high, but in a near normal range. My wife's is 5.4 and she's not diabetic, so I'm very happy. It was also explained to me that it's reading a little high because A1c covers the previous 2-4 months and I didn't start this diet until November, so it's still picking up some of the bad mojo from 3-4 months back.

Cholesterol seems somewhat high, but I'm not terribly worried about that. From the reading I've been doing, total and LDL cholesterol are essentially meaningless numbers. HDL and small particle LDL is what really matters. Triglycerides are less than half of what they were previously, which is great. I still need to work on that a little more, though.

Not bad for a guy who eats a dozen or more eggs a week.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow. Do you realize that if we combined Steve's and Craig's weight losses, we'd have a whole new DC member?

Great job, guys!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

I came across this article today that I thought some of you might find interesting.
http://www.vox.com/2015/1/6/7481067/high-fat-diet

Congrats to everyone on your weight loss and great blood work
Old 01-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #79
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I came across this article today that I thought some of you might find interesting.
I lost weight by eating lots of bacon and cream. Here's a scientific explanation for why. - Vox

Congrats to everyone on your weight loss and great blood work
Thanks! That's a good article and nicely summarizes the way I've been eating and feeling the last couple of months. Not quite to that extreme - I still try to keep daily calories and protein levels in check - but I can relate totally. I only wish I had made this change years ago.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This little calculator has helped me to better understand the connection between my 30 day average glucometer readings and my A1C. It obviously depends on when you take your readings and how honest you are with yourself.

https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose...lculator.html#
Thank you, Aunt Bea for this link. I sent it on to Shrek, so he can check his too!

Tags
diet