"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #81
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
My office has "Bagel Wednesdays" and monthly birthday cakes. The irony is that beginning in 2016, they are planning to make any employee with a BMI greater than 29 pay more to get the same healthcare benefits as everyone else. Personally, I think they're going to be opening themselves to some legal challenges by doing that but, as of now, that's the plan.

Kathleen, I've always loved pizza and bread and all those sorts of things, but I find my willpower holding strong after 2 months. In fact, the longer I go without it, the easier it is to turn it down.
I once heard a story by F. Paul Wilson where health was regulated by the government. If this were to ever happen, my new career will be a "lipid-legger." Y'all can seek me to obtain your full fat cream and butter! On a serious note, I do expect we will start to see things like government-regulated health mandates though.

As for breads, grains, and sugar, I've been able to avoid them so far thanks to everyone on this thread. So thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I was very big on baking and baked goods! It has taken me a long, long time to let them go! I got to the point where I was allowing myself a treat once a month and now I don't bother, it became more trouble than it was worth. The key, for me, was finding an acceptable alternative. When everyone else is eating pizza I have chicken wings, some pepperoni and cheese or a Meat-zza. I made it through the eating season this year without a slip up by using my substitution game. My A1C this week was 6.6, not bad for an old foodie!
Aunt Bea, awesome news on your A1C! I've not had meat-za yet, but expect to try it soon. Also, thank you for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm going to have my A1c drawn the last week of January and adjust from there. A1c going into the diet was 7.4. I think the doc missed my thyroid panel last month on my annual, so will be adding that in, too.

Not hungry this morning...guess I'll just stick with my coffee. And I got a full 7 hours of sleep last night.
I'll be having mine tested in February and am looking forward to seeing how my numbers change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I came across this article today that I thought some of you might find interesting.
I lost weight by eating lots of bacon and cream. Here's a scientific explanation for why. - Vox

Congrats to everyone on your weight loss and great blood work
Great article! Very informative.

So I have finished one week on the diet and my pants are already getting loose. For me, the biggest challenge has been to plan my meals ahead - especially for breakfast and lunches. The fat bombs and hard-cooked eggs have saved me a few times!

Speaking of fat bombs, my biggest challenge has been to get enough fats in my meals. Honestly, I have never been a huge fan of full fat things (except for ice cream.) I like bacon, but don't want it every day. When I don't eat at least 70% fat, my morning BG is higher.

For the foodie within, I found a taco meat recipe that I changed a bit and love. I used onion powder instead of minced onion and sprinkled a bit of xanthan gum in place of the cornstarch. I also added three drops of stevia which really enhanced flavors. It was great on tacos (using Bibb lettuce for shells) and in taco salads.

Truly, for the first time in decades, I am once again stumbling about in the kitchen. It's kind of fun!

Best of all, my insulin use is down and my BG looks better each day!

~Kathleen

Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #82
Head Chef

Steve, due to your threads on the ketogenic diet, I started on it on Monday.

I don't like soda and so that was not an issue for me, I drink coffee and green tea, now with cream. Lots of water too.

I'll eat 3 small portions of protein/cheese each day (beef, shrimp, eggs, cheddar cheese, fish or tuna, chicken) along with lower carb vegetables.

I made a marinated salad (olive oil) of peppers, onions, celery, tomatoes, capers, olives, mushrooms, and I eat a bowl full of that once a day.

I'm into broccoli, cauliflower, avocados, lettuce, spinach, celery (with cream cheese), saucing them up or with dressings (olive oil/vinegar/mustard).

I finally bought some cream, as I can't get enough fat without using cream in my coffee. I am going to try a low carb tortilla one of these days. I ordered some coconut flour and xanthum gum (sp?). I eat walnuts and almonds each day, a handful each time.

Last night we had shrimp alfredo, hubs had it with pasta and I had it with steamed broccoli, delicious, and hubs was stealing my broccoli too. He likes pizza and sadly I can't have that, BUT, I'll be able to fake a pizza on a low carb tortilla when the time comes. I cheat on my diet every day, EVERY DAY!!! I eat 6 Cheetos, I can't help myself.

I make a lot of eggs. I was watching hubs eat his eggs over easy, and dipping his toast in the yoke and I almost started crying, I wanted toast too.

I miss crunchy things, I miss bread a lot, I miss apples and fruit, but I'm only on day 7 and I don't miss that 5 lbs that fell off while no one was noticing my pain (being on the diet). I couldn't believe what the scale told me, 5 lbs in less than a week, thanks, Bliss

Old 01-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #83
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Steve, due to your threads on the ketogenic diet, I started on it on Monday.

I don't like soda and so that was not an issue for me, I drink coffee and green tea, now with cream. Lots of water too.

I'll eat 3 small portions of protein/cheese each day (beef, shrimp, eggs, cheddar cheese, fish or tuna, chicken) along with lower carb vegetables.

I made a marinated salad (olive oil) of peppers, onions, celery, tomatoes, capers, olives, mushrooms, and I eat a bowl full of that once a day.

I'm into broccoli, cauliflower, avocados, lettuce, spinach, celery (with cream cheese), saucing them up or with dressings (olive oil/vinegar/mustard).

I finally bought some cream, as I can't get enough fat without using cream in my coffee. I am going to try a low carb tortilla one of these days. I ordered some coconut flour and xanthum gum (sp?). I eat walnuts and almonds each day, a handful each time.

Last night we had shrimp alfredo, hubs had it with pasta and I had it with steamed broccoli, delicious, and hubs was stealing my broccoli too. He likes pizza and sadly I can't have that, BUT, I'll be able to fake a pizza on a low carb tortilla when the time comes. I cheat on my diet every day, EVERY DAY!!! I eat 6 Cheetos, I can't help myself.

I make a lot of eggs. I was watching hubs eat his eggs over easy, and dipping his toast in the yoke and I almost started crying, I wanted toast too.

I miss crunchy things, I miss bread a lot, I miss apples and fruit, but I'm only on day 7 and I don't miss that 5 lbs that fell off while no one was noticing my pain (being on the diet). I couldn't believe what the scale told me, 5 lbs in less than a week, thanks, Bliss
That's fantastic! As for missing breads, I know exactly what you mean. When our daughter was growing up, I tried to set a good example for her by baking a lot of homemade bread. Two loaves a week. I miss the flavor now, but I don't miss how it made my joints stiff and achy. Yes, little did I realize it at the time, but wheat is a major source of joint inflammation, not to mention fatigue, acid reflux, and digestive issues. You will miss it less and less as you kick the cravings and your body adapts.

Something I have yet to begin experimenting much with is alternative flours. Tonight I'm going to try to make some breaded cod with almond flour. I still have to watch the carbohydrates, though, so I won't be using a lot of it. I'm thinking a few tablespoons from time to time should be alright.

And as for pizza, who says you can't have it? Try this recipe for "meat-za."
Meat-za Pizza Crust

Just add your favorite toppings and cheese. We've had it a couple of times now, and the flavor is great!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #84
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Speaking of fat bombs, my biggest challenge has been to get enough fats in my meals. Honestly, I have never been a huge fan of full fat things (except for ice cream.) I like bacon, but don't want it every day. When I don't eat at least 70% fat, my morning BG is higher.
Kathleen, for years I was brainwashed into eating low fat foods, so I also found the transition to higher fat meals kind of a challenge.

I rarely have bacon for breakfast. I like bacon and all, but not every day. I've been sometimes having breakfast sausage or I'll put some pepperoni and mozzarella into my morning omelet. If I don't want meat at all, I mix plenty of cheese in with the eggs.

Have you tried a buttered steak yet? As you've probably found by now, restaurants have limited options for this diet. Most of the time, what I end up doing is ordering my meat, and ask if I can swap the potatoes or rice for extra veggies or a side salad. Then I will order extra butter. This usually gets a funny look from the server. Especially when I start slathering it all over my meat or fish.

Speaking of salads, salad dressings are an excellent way to up the fat. I've been having blue cheese and ranch dressings a lot lately, as well as just using olive oil and red wine vinegar (with emphasis on the oil).
Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #85
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Keto Asian Dressing: Teriyaki Dressing

I ate this on shredded cabbage with pulled pork yesterday.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #86
Head Chef

Steve, I did read your meatza thread. I just can't get past the 'needing something crunchy' for a pizza. I even made some frico (?) from parmesan thinking it might be a good pizza crust but it isn't substantial enough to hold up to putting toppings on it. I can eat about 3 ounces of meat and then I realize I don't like it particularly much, I'm trying to get used to that three times a day.

I ground up some almonds yesterday, I'm planning on using some to make individual cheese cakes, as the crust. Combining almond meal with butter and a bit of spenda. I haven't eaten anything sweet in a week and it would be nice to have a little treat once in a blue moon.

I'm in my mid 50's and starting to get creaky joints in my hips, hopefully things will get better with less or no grains.

Low Carb Basics: Baking with Coconut Flour | All Day I Dream About Food
In that article it talks about coconut flour and how it absorbs much more liquid and uses many more eggs when it is used in baked goods. I might try to make a strongly flavored cheese crackers with it, to get my 'crunchy' in and to have a place to spread dips or cheese spread. The article says that the coconut flour has a coconut aroma but it can be easily masked with chocolate (of course my old friend chocolate!)

I often see in recipes with coconut flour, the addition of protein powder and xanthum gum (sp), and those just came today, so I can play. If I have any success I'll let you know.

Today's menu will have roast beef, marinated salad, left over shrimp alfredo with broccoli, a handful of almonds, and something more, I haven't decided what that will be (and 6 cheetos). I'm only going to add one item of coconut flour or almond meal per day and hope that it doesn't throw off my balance.

I'll have cole slaw, green beans, and lettuce salad this week to mix and match throughout the week.
Steve, thanks for your threads on this, and I'm glad you are having such good success with it. Craig, you too! Yeah team!
Old 01-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Steve, you should ask the restaurants if they have compound butter.

blissful, maybe you could adapt one of these recipes for something crunchy:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...rs-recipe.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...-crackers.html
Old 01-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #88
Head Chef

GotGarlic, nice recipes! I will give it a try, probably similar to the first recipe link. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #89
Master Chef

The compound butter is a great tip, blue cheese compound butter is good on a steak. Some of the garlic and herb combinations are nice with seafood. You can keep a log or two in the freezer and just cut off what you need for a single serving.

blissful, a couple more thoughts on CRUNCH. Commercially made pork rinds do not have any carbs and they do have a nice crunch, similar to chips. Kale chips are available commercially and are easy to make at home. You need to go easy on them though because they do contain some carbs. If it's any consolation the need for crunch does slowly fade.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #90
Head Chef

Thanks Aunt Bea, pork rinds, on the grocery list. Yes, thank you for saying the need for crunch does fade, it give me hope. My cheetos thank you - they now have hope to live a longer life. Eating is such an emotional affair. (to me)
Hubs is being supportive, he doesn't eat the candy, saltines, cheetos that are on the table next to the bed, in front of me, only behind my back. The tell tale orange fingers are a dead give away. "Have you been eating cheetos my dear?" "no don't tell me" "I don't wanna know."

Tags
diet