Ketogenic Diet for Controlling Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in the same boat. Tried dieting for about 2 month and actually did really well, but then I slipped. I love bread, I love potato, I love noodles. I love everything that i am not supposed to eat. :(

Yes, I love all that too, Charlie. But, I love myself more and Shrek needs me, so lifestyle changes are in order.

Yes, I love all that too, Charlie. But, I love myself more and Shrek needs me, so lifestyle changes are in order.

This is where I am in that I love myself more. My blood work is terrible and it matches how I feel. So am starting a ketogenic diet. I'm really a bit nervous about simply feeding myself on my work schedule, but I have to do something.

This is where I am in that I love myself more. My blood work is terrible and it matches how I feel. So am starting a ketogenic diet. I'm really a bit nervous about simply feeding myself on my work schedule, but I have to do something.

I'm noticing changes in my Diabetes, Blood Pressure, GERD. Sleeping better, too!

Oh my gosh. I forgot about GERD. Prior to keto, I had been taking 40mg Omeprazole for the last two years. I had my last dose 6 weeks ago and have not had one instance of reflux since.

Okay, so I started with the food changes and am on Day 3. I love that I'm not hungry and my BG has already dropped some, but has a long way to go. I need better ideas for breakfast. Something more "Grab & Go." Thoughts?

A secondary question: How long does it typically take to get ketosis really happening? After day three, the ketostix says "trace."

Ketosis can take a week to 6 weeks to reach. Just keep plugging along.

I made a large ham and cheese omelet today and cut it into 4 portions, then I froze them. They are ready to go when I get up in the morning. I'm thinking next time I will pour the egg and ham into a buttered muffin tin, topping with cheese after they are baked until set. Cool and freeze. Would make portions easier.

Just finished sauteing onions and mushrooms in bacon fat, adding in more bacon for an easy toss into scrambled eggs.

I've not been hungry in the morning, so I just take it along with me to work or eat by 11 AM each day. I only eat one meal a day and then a couple of snacks, one about 4 PM and another when I take my night meds.

Coconut oil has become a go to for adding fat to a meal. Butter for cooking eggs and now the bacon fat...I rendered that from a 2 pound package of ends and pieces I get from a local smokehouse. Using the bacon fat for cooked veggies.

I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge for quick "grab and go" breakfasts. Other times I just heat up what was left from a previous night's meal (I'm not one of those breakfast-must-be-eggs kind of people).

It took me just over a week to flush most of the existing glucose out of my system and get into full ketosis.

Also, here's a tip: make sure you don't eat too much protein. I found out the hard way that some of the protein you eat will get converted into glucose while you sleep. I woke up a few mornings to BG of 130-140. After bringing the protein down to 90 gms a day, it dropped right back down to normal levels again.

Last edited:
I made Strawberry Cheesecake Fat Bombs today after finding the recipe on the Low-Carb, So Simple! website. I used butter instead of coconut fat and frozen strawberries. I also used Stevia as the sweetener. Pretty yummy!

~Kathleen

How many and what size did the recipe make? Since I can't do the alternate sweetners, I need to know about how much it is so I can see if I can use a small amount of sugar.

How many and what size did the recipe make? Since I can't do the alternate sweetners, I need to know about how much it is so I can see if I can use a small amount of sugar.

I think you could get by without any sweetener in these.

I wonder how fresh raspberries and chopped dark chocolate would work, Valentine's day is coming up!

Nothin' like a fat bomb to say I love you! :wub:

I think you could get by without any sweetener in these.

I wonder how fresh raspberries and chopped dark chocolate would work, Valentine's day is coming up!

Nothin' like a fat bomb to say I love you! :wub:

A raspberry and dark chocolate fat bomb for you:wub:

Absolutely, I would taste the strawberries first to see if they needed sweetened. I'm so used to no sugar now that veggies taste sweet now that never used to.

I made Strawberry Cheesecake Fat Bombs today after finding the recipe on the Low-Carb, So Simple! website. I used butter instead of coconut fat and frozen strawberries. I also used Stevia as the sweetener. Pretty yummy!

~Kathleen

Those look delicious!

One question... am I totally losing it, or is there no calorie count listed anywhere in the recipe? In addition to carbs, I also keep track of my calories.

By the way, I'm down 45 pounds today. Yippeee! :clap:

When I get to 50, I might post a before/after photo.

Last edited:
It makes 12 fat bombs. You would need maybe a teaspoon of sugar - or more very sweet strawberries!

Thank you! So that would be 4 grams of sugar carbs spread out over 12 servings. One of those with a bite of 72% chocolate...

I have some Strawberry spread, 40 cal per 1 tablespoon with 9 grams of carbs, made with sugar. I stirred 2 tablespoons into 6 ounces of whipped cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of butter. Hot Dang!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom