Ketogenic Diet for Controlling Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...By the way, I'm down 45 pounds today. Yippeee! :clap: When I get to 50, I might post a before/after photo.

Steve, that is fantastic! I know how difficult it can be to lose that much weight.

I'm looking forward to those "before and after" photos.

Those look delicious!

One question... am I totally losing it, or is there no calorie count listed anywhere in the recipe? In addition to carbs, I also keep track of my calories.

By the way, I'm down 45 pounds today. Yippeee! :clap:

When I get to 50, I might post a before/after photo.

Yea!!!! Conga-Rats! :)

:ohmy: Wow, Steve, congratulations!!

And congrats to all of you who are making these dietary lifestyle changes. I can't imagine the will power involved, especially on a cooking forum where people are posting any and everything. You all are a strong bunch. :flowers:

That's great Steve. I have also lost weight, about 60#, but there won't be any after pics until the next 90# are gone.:LOL:

That's great Steve. I have also lost weight, about 60#, but there won't be any after pics until the next 90# are gone.:LOL:
Wow, Craig, that's awesome! You're going in the right direction, and that's what matters.

I have more than 50 lbs to lose myself, but I honestly don't know what my goal weight is. My guess is I probably have another 25-30 to go after the 50. It's hard to tell, though. My body is a lot different now than it was 20 years ago when I was last at a comfortable weight (pre-desk-job days).

By the way, here's an FYI for those of you on keto, and who have a Jimmy John's in the area. They will make any of their sandwiches as "un-wiches". Instead of bread, they stuff the fixings into a lettuce wrap. I've had these a couple of times and they're pretty tasty. Coincidentally, the Fat/Carb/Protein numbers hit all my macros right on the head.

By the way, here's an FYI for those of you on keto, and who have a Jimmy John's in the area. They will make any of their sandwiches as "un-wiches". Instead of bread, they stuff the fixings into a lettuce wrap. I've had these a couple of times and they're pretty tasty. Coincidentally, the Fat/Carb/Protein numbers hit all my macros right on the head.

Thanks, we have a Jimmy Johns here.

I'm having two lettuce, meat and cheese wraps with garlic parmesan butter.

Those look delicious!

One question... am I totally losing it, or is there no calorie count listed anywhere in the recipe? In addition to carbs, I also keep track of my calories.

By the way, I'm down 45 pounds today. Yippeee! :clap:

When I get to 50, I might post a before/after photo.

Congrats on the weight loss! I also keep track of calories - old habits die hard! I believe they have 67 calories (Energy = 67 kcals)

CraigC, congrats to you too! 60 pounds is 240 sticks of butter! Wow!

Thank you! So that would be 4 grams of sugar carbs spread out over 12 servings. One of those with a bite of 72% chocolate...

I have some Strawberry spread, 40 cal per 1 tablespoon with 9 grams of carbs, made with sugar. I stirred 2 tablespoons into 6 ounces of whipped cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of butter. Hot Dang!

That sounds really yummy too! What do you spread it on?

So I walked in a meeting today and see four boxes of pizza and was able to say no thanks. I've never been a huge pizza fan, but I never saw pizza look so good. I'm feeling good and my bg is dropping so that is where I pull my willpower! (Mind you - it has only been eight days for me though.)

Congrats on the weight loss! I also keep track of calories - old habits die hard! I believe they have 67 calories (Energy = 67 kcals)

CraigC, congrats to you too! 60 pounds is 240 sticks of butter! Wow!

That sounds really yummy too! What do you spread it on?

So I walked in a meeting today and see four boxes of pizza and was able to say no thanks. I've never been a huge pizza fan, but I never saw pizza look so good. I'm feeling good and my bg is dropping so that is where I pull my willpower! (Mind you - it has only been eight days for me though.)

I don't spread it on anything. I've been very successful at removing breads and crackers out of my diet.

Lunch today was fantastic: Shredded cabbage and carrots, sliced crimini mushrooms, pulled pork and red wine vinegar & olive oil.

I would have taken the pizza and scraped the toppings off onto a plate for myself.

Last edited:
My office has "Bagel Wednesdays" and monthly birthday cakes. The irony is that beginning in 2016, they are planning to make any employee with a BMI greater than 29 pay more to get the same healthcare benefits as everyone else. Personally, I think they're going to be opening themselves to some legal challenges by doing that but, as of now, that's the plan. :rolleyes:

Kathleen, I've always loved pizza and bread and all those sorts of things, but I find my willpower holding strong after 2 months. In fact, the longer I go without it, the easier it is to turn it down.

Kathleen, I've always loved pizza and bread and all those sorts of things, but I find my willpower holding strong after 2 months. In fact, the longer I go without it, the easier it is to turn it down.

I was very big on baking and baked goods! It has taken me a long, long time to let them go! I got to the point where I was allowing myself a treat once a month and now I don't bother, it became more trouble than it was worth. The key, for me, was finding an acceptable alternative. When everyone else is eating pizza I have chicken wings, some pepperoni and cheese or a Meat-zza. I made it through the eating season this year without a slip up by using my substitution game. My A1C this week was 6.6, not bad for an old foodie! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was very big on baking and baked goods! It has taken me a long, long time to let them go! I got to the point where I was allowing myself a treat once a month and now I don't bother, it became more trouble than it was worth. The key, for me, was finding an acceptable alternative. When everyone else is eating pizza I have chicken wings, some pepperoni and cheese or a Meat-zza. I made it through the eating season this year without a slip up by using my substitution game. My A1C this week was 6.6, not bad for an old foodie! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
That's a great A1c number. When I had mine checked in October, it was 12.5! :ohmy:

I had follow up blood work done on Wednesday - the first time since I've been on this diet. I hope to have the results by Monday. I'm very curious to see how it comes out. I'm 100% certain the blood sugar will be lower, because I've been monitoring that fairly close. But I'm really curious to see how the lipid profile looks. I've been eating lots of fat and meat, which is stuff I've avoided for most of the last 30 years because it was supposedly unhealthy.

Last edited:
I'm going to have my A1c drawn the last week of January and adjust from there. A1c going into the diet was 7.4. I think the doc missed my thyroid panel last month on my annual, so will be adding that in, too.

Not hungry this morning...guess I'll just stick with my coffee. And I got a full 7 hours of sleep last night.

So I got my lab results back during lunch. Overall, very good news with the blood sugar results. The lipid panel was a mixed bag.

Comparing with the October test...

Serum Glucose: 87 (down from 238)
Hemoglobin A1c: 5.6 (down from 12.5) :)
Est. Avg. Glucose: 114 (down from 312)

Total Cholesterol: 205 (up from 195)
Triglycerides: 148 (way down from 330)
HDL: 41 (up from 34)
LDL: 137 (up from 95)
VLDL: 30 (down from 66)
LDL/HDL Ratio: 3.3 (up from 2.8)

So to recap, my glucose is still just slightly high, but in a near normal range. My wife's is 5.4 and she's not diabetic, so I'm very happy. It was also explained to me that it's reading a little high because A1c covers the previous 2-4 months and I didn't start this diet until November, so it's still picking up some of the bad mojo from 3-4 months back.

Cholesterol seems somewhat high, but I'm not terribly worried about that. From the reading I've been doing, total and LDL cholesterol are essentially meaningless numbers. HDL and small particle LDL is what really matters. Triglycerides are less than half of what they were previously, which is great. I still need to work on that a little more, though.

Not bad for a guy who eats a dozen or more eggs a week. ;)

Last edited:
Wow. Do you realize that if we combined Steve's and Craig's weight losses, we'd have a whole new DC member?

Great job, guys!

I came across this article today that I thought some of you might find interesting.
I lost weight by eating lots of bacon and cream. Here's a scientific explanation for why. - Vox

Congrats to everyone on your weight loss and great blood work :)
Thanks! That's a good article and nicely summarizes the way I've been eating and feeling the last couple of months. Not quite to that extreme - I still try to keep daily calories and protein levels in check - but I can relate totally. I only wish I had made this change years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom