Low carb Syrups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA Home Cook

Sous Chef
hey guys, I am trying to stick to my low carb diet this year. I have found Carbquick which makes a good pancake and waffle. The problem is the syrup. Most of which is on the shelf as no sugar has lots of carbs. In researching I found the following brands that have low carbs: Howards, Walden Farms and Davinci. Anyone tried these? I would like to hear your comments or suggestions of others not mentioned.

Hal

Unless you want to use artificial flavoring, I don't think it's possible. It seems to me that eating real foods like maple syrup and honey would be preferable.

Last edited:
Agave Nectar is low carb

Agave nectar is not low carb. It has the same amount of calories and carbs as sugar, honey, and any other natural sweetener. It does, however, have a lower glycemic index number than other sweeteners, so it won't spike blood sugar levels.

Unless you want to use artificial flavoring, I don't think it's possible. It seems to me that eating real foods like maple syrup and honey would be preferable.

x1000000000

Agave syrup is more refined than corn syrup and worse for you ~ I'd nix that idea.

Make date syrup: bring dates and water to a boil and then simmer until they break down (mash w/ a spoon to help facilitate if necessary).

It's great in smoothies, oatmeal, etc.

Also, check out organic coconut (palm) sugar - I think has a GI of 35 meaning it's less than half of real sugar.

Last edited:
Well, then, just don't eat those things for a month :rolleyes: Be creative and eat something that is inherently low carb. Sorry, but it seems to me that you're just sabotaging your effort rather than embracing it.

The standard Turkish breakfast is delicious, healthy and, if you leave out the bread, low carb: Turkish cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree. I did Atkins for about two years, and it's easy to get used to eating real food that is low carb, even though I did miss bread and brown rice. When you are on the "maintenance" level, you can have that stuff, occasionally, in small quantities.

I agree. I did Atkins for about two years, and it's easy to get used to eating real food that is low carb, even though I did miss bread and brown rice. When you are on the "maintenance" level, you can have that stuff, occasionally, in small quantities.
+1--same here--eat real food and adjust to life /out the syrup.

+1--same here--eat real food and adjust to life /out the syrup.

+2 Giving up sweets can only benefit you. Including syrup. And what are pancakes doing in a low carb diet? Go for French toast instead. Using a whole wheat bread. Use with a fresh fruit compote.

Do you have a gun? You may as well shoot yourself in the foot for starters on your present diet. :angel:

Last edited:
I think we should give the guy a break!

I was in the same place years ago and I tried various sugar free and lo carb items looking for a magic way to have my cake and eat it too. Over time I have gradually "let go" of various hi carb foods and concentrated sweets. Now I eat a traditional lumberjack style pancake and sausage breakfast, with real maple syrup, about once a year and my sugar shoots into the low 300's, not good! The rest of the time I have a bowl of oatmeal with a teaspoon of real maple syrup and a little skim milk. This gives me the enjoyment of the real maple syrup and does not cause my blood sugar to whack out.

We all need to find our own way and travel at our own speed! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Michael Pollan

How about fruit? Or a small amount of real maple syrup thinned a bit with water ?

Thanks Aunt Bea for the support. For those of you who don't struggle with your weight and Blood sugar, I am happy for you. For those, like me, who do, its a stinking battle. Is trying to cut out all the good breads and pastas fun, no. Low carb works for me. Sorry if that doesn't fit your life style, but I really have no choice. My will power is awful when I am trying to cut down on portions so I can do low carb and actully loose weight. For the comments about pancakes not being low carb, there are several flour replacements out there that are acceptable on low carb. Carbquick is the one I use. Not as good as the Chief pancakes, but pretty good when its all you can have. Thanks for the suggestion Bakechef.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom