Low-glycemic flour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
Now that I've been diagnosed with diabetes, I was wondering if there is a particular flour I can use to thicken sauces, make white sauce, etc, instead of using plain white flour, since I have to cut back on simple carbs. Whole wheat flour won't work for me because I've tried it in place of white flour and don't like it. I need something I can use to make gravies, sauces, and use as a thickener for cream soups, etc, that works just as well as white flour, but without the 'bad' carbs.

I found something on Amazon called Keto Flour. Has anyone ever used that? What about almond flour? Any suggestions for me?

Now that I've been diagnosed with diabetes, I was wondering if there is a particular flour I can use to thicken sauces, make white sauce, etc, instead of using plain white flour, since I have to cut back on simple carbs. Whole wheat flour won't work for me because I've tried it in place of white flour and don't like it. I need something I can use to make gravies, sauces, and use as a thickener for cream soups, etc, that works just as well as white flour, but without the 'bad' carbs.

I found something on Amazon called Keto Flour. Has anyone ever used that? What about almond flour? Any suggestions for me?

I'm sorry that I don't know anything about Keto Flour or have much experience with nut flours.

I'm just wondering if you have ever tried flour ground from hard white whole wheat berries. It has a much milder taste similar to white all-purpose flour. A google search for "white whole wheat flour" shows lots of discussions about the differences between flours ground from red vs white whole wheat with many links to King Arthur brand pages. But Kroger sells inexpensive store-brand white whole wheat as well.

I'm sorry that I don't know anything about Keto Flour or have much experience with nut flours.

I'm just wondering if you have ever tried flour ground from hard white whole wheat berries. It has a much milder taste similar to white all-purpose flour. A google search for "white whole wheat flour" shows lots of discussions about the differences between flours ground from red vs white whole wheat with many links to King Arthur brand pages. But Kroger sells inexpensive store-brand white whole wheat as well.

Actually, yes, I've tried white whole wheat. In fact you reminded me I had a bag of it in my cupboard. However, I just went to go find it and the "best by" date is 2014.

:ermm: :LOL:

I pitched it. I know what 'old' flour tastes like and it's not pleasant. I did, however, go ahead and buy some almond flour from Prime Pantry, just to try it. The one I chose got good reviews, so we'll see if it fits my needs.

Actually, yes, I've tried white whole wheat. In fact you reminded me I had a bag of it in my cupboard. However, I just went to go find it and the "best by" date is 2014.

:ermm: :LOL:

I pitched it. I know what 'old' flour tastes like and it's not pleasant. I did, however, go ahead and buy some almond flour from Prime Pantry, just to try it. The one I chose got good reviews, so we'll see if it fits my needs.
I don't bake anymore so it takes a while to go through a bag of flour. Keep the whole grain flour and meal in the freezer.

I always keep my WW flour in the freezer, as well. I can't imagine a 5 year old bag, at room temp!

If I remember correctly, from when I used to help my Mom with her diabetes (or tried to help her), barley was one of the best grains as far as the glycemic index, and the glycemic load. Another flour you may want to look into is besan - the Indian chick pea flour. Chick peas have a low GI, and are also thought to be one of the best legumes for diabetics. If you have an Indian grocery near you, they would have besan, of course, but it is found in many places now. I have made some dishes in which the besan is dry roasted in a pan - just stirred around in the pan over medium heat, until it browns some, which gives it a delicious flavor. And the chana dal, which is also found in some supermarkets these days, is actually not a lentil, but is made from a type of chick pea, which has been split and hulled, so that it cooks faster. Grinding up chana dal gives a milder tasting flour than besan, though besan isn't even as strong as WW flour, IMO.

I remember looking up those flours available in the Indian grocer, and a couple that I use for their other nutrition, were not lower in the GI - millet and sorghum. However, moong flour was among the lowest, though you won't find it anywhere except an Indian grocer, or online.

Last edited:
I always keep my WW flour in the freezer, as well. I can't imagine a 5 year old bag, at room temp!

If I remember correctly, from when I used to help my Mom with her diabetes (or tried to help her), barley was one of the best grains as far as the glycemic index, and the glycemic load. Another flour you may want to look into is besan - the Indian chick pea flour. Chick peas have a low GI, and are also thought to be one of the best legumes for diabetics. If you have an Indian grocery near you, they would have besan, of course, but it is found in many places now. I have made some dishes in which the besan is dry roasted in a pan - just stirred around in the pan over medium heat, until it browns some, which gives it a delicious flavor. And the chana dal, which is also found in some supermarkets these days, is actually not a lentil, but is made from a type of chick pea, which has been split and hulled, so that it cooks faster. Grinding up chana dal gives a milder tasting flour than besan, though besan isn't even as strong as WW flour, IMO.

I remember looking up those flours available in the Indian grocer, and a couple that I use for their other nutrition, were not lower in the GI - millet and sorghum. However, moong flour was among the lowest, though you won't find it anywhere except an Indian grocer, or online.

Great tips, thank you.

I love barley. In fact I cooked some just yesterday and had a serving of it with baked BBQ catfish and asparagus and I'm having the rest of it tomorrow for lunch with salmon. Love chick peas as well. I'll have to look for that chana dal. Sounds delicious. I love beans and lentils and anything of that nature, really.

Back
Top Bottom