"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking
Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Lunch menu for diabetic

Hi All - I'm having some friends to lunch next week, one of them is diabetic and has high cholesterol and never eats what he shouldn't. However, he didn't give me any tips on what to serve him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chefdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Head Chef
I would call back and ask. If you say he never eats what he should not, how can you choose a menu for him without some input by him?

Could come up with several ideas, but the simplest thing to do is ask him.

Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Master Chef
We don't know enough to give advice. Offer a variety of foods, or simply ask how many grams of carbs he can have and go from there. I assume you're having some sort of desert, make sure to have some of it sugar free. If you are doing sandwiches, there are a couple of brands of bread that allow my husband his 30g with a sandwhich and a half. Just make sure there is something s/he can eat there, after that it is up to them.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
I think the idea of asking is great.

I would add that it would be best to stay with whole, natural foods as much as possible and avoid anything processed. Watch out for "hidden carbs & sugars" in many processed/bottled foods such as marinades, salad dressings etc. Best thing to do is read the label. Also, if you are having any fruit in your menu it is best to stick to berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) and avoid things like pineapple, peaches etc. due to the high sugar content.

I would probably do a nice big salad full of gooddies and maybe some grilled chicken or I'd do up veggie kabobs and any type of meat kabobs.

Keep it simple.
KitchenSally is offline   Reply With Quote