"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Milk Chocolate VS. Dark (& Semi Sweet)

Hi everyone,
Not sure if this is better in the general cooking or diabetic cooking section. But since I am using sugar substitute then I guess I will post here, though part of it is a general question.

I had asked someone what is the difference in ingredients between milk and dark chocolate. I was told that milk had much more sugar. However, many darker chocolates have the same amount of sugar for the same serving as milk chocolates. One of many examples is Hershey's & Dove dark and milk chocolate containing the same amount of sugar for the same serving size. Yet one has a bitter taste, and the other does not. I did find some lower sugar darks since then for my dad to enjoy, yey! Like the 70% and 80% Lindts. But your average dark chocolate has the same amount of sugar as milk....

So I wonder then, what else is it that makes milk chocolate *milk* ? I tried using cocoa powder unsweetened and adding sugar one time and erythritol the 2nd time. In both cases the mix turned sweeter, but the bitterness remained. Perhaps a little less bitter, but never did completely go away. And adding more sugar just made it overly sweet while maintaining the bitterness, just a strong overwhelming flavor all around.

Again it makes me realize there is something else in milk chocolate that is perhaps not in dark? Does anyone know what it is? I hope it's not something not so good for us. As it is, my goal was to make something healthy by using unsweetened cocoa and a non harmful sugar sub.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Milk Chocolate has a higher cocoa butter content...more fat. That is the difference, the percentage of cocoa powder to fat content. Dark chocolate is better for you because of that difference. White chocolate is pure sweetened cocoa butter.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Milk Chocolate has a higher cocoa butter content...more fat. That is the difference, the percentage of cocoa powder to fat content. Dark chocolate is better for you because of that difference. White chocolate is pure sweetened cocoa butter.
And yet when comparing fats between milk and dark, their also the same for the same size. I don't get it :(

What is the deal with undweetened cocoa powder? What is that composed of ? Cocoa bean and cocoa butter or has the butter been removed?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyB View Post
And yet when comparing fats between milk and dark, their also the same for the same size. I don't get it :(

What is the deal with undweetened cocoa powder? What is that composed of ? Cocoa bean and cocoa butter or has the butter been removed?

Thanks.
I only eat and have in the house 70% or greater cacao, so I can't compare at this time. There is a difference in the fat content of the two bars I have. I do know that my cardiologist and dietician love that I eat only very dark chocolate.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

This is what I found on the difference:

"Although milk chocolate may taste great, itís not nearly as good for you as dark chocolate is. This is because milk chocolate contains less of the original cocoa bean than dark chocolate does. Although milk chocolate does contain cocoa solids, itís often diluted with the addition of milk solids, sugar, and cream. Since milk chocolate does contain some cocoa solids though, its not completely void of all nutrition; however, the nutritional quality is minimal in comparison with dark chocolate, which typically has more of the original cocoa present.

"http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/blogs/fitstop/2012/01/23/healthy-eating/milk-chocolate-or-dark-chocolate/
Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

We love dark chocolate, it is certainly better for you than milk chocolate, but I must admit I love milk too
Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Milk chocolate is considerably unhealthy compared to dark chocolate. It may be a tough switch because our bodies are so used to the high sugar and milk fat content in milk chocolate, but I'm sure your taste buds will find the amazing flavour in dark chocolate. PLUS dark chocolate has a plethora of health benefits -- you won't regret it :-)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Not sure if this is better in the general cooking or diabetic cooking section. But since I am using sugar substitute then I guess I will post here, though part of it is a general question.

I had asked someone what is the difference in ingredients between milk and dark chocolate. I was told that milk had much more sugar. However, many darker chocolates have the same amount of sugar for the same serving as milk chocolates. One of many examples is Hershey's & Dove dark and milk chocolate containing the same amount of sugar for the same serving size. Yet one has a bitter taste, and the other does not. I did find some lower sugar darks since then for my dad to enjoy, yey! Like the 70% and 80% Lindts. But your average dark chocolate has the same amount of sugar as milk....

So I wonder then, what else is it that makes milk chocolate *milk* ? I tried using cocoa powder unsweetened and adding sugar one time and erythritol the 2nd time. In both cases the mix turned sweeter, but the bitterness remained. Perhaps a little less bitter, but never did completely go away. And adding more sugar just made it overly sweet while maintaining the bitterness, just a strong overwhelming flavor all around.

Again it makes me realize there is something else in milk chocolate that is perhaps not in dark? Does anyone know what it is? I hope it's not something not so good for us. As it is, my goal was to make something healthy by using unsweetened cocoa and a non harmful sugar sub.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
"what else is it that makes milk chocolate *milk* "

Err, it contains MILK!!!

You can buy "unsweetened chocolate" for baking recipes (easier in the US than in the UK) but you really wouldn't want to eat it as a piece of chocolate.

This article from Wikipaedia is a bit technical but will help to sort it out for you.
Types of chocolate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can buy special chocolate for diabetics in the UK and I expect it's also available in the US
Old 01-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:

Thanks.
Cocoa powder is a powder crushed from the beans of the tropical American cacao tree. The beans are fermented, dried, roasted and turned into a thick paste, from which the fat (cocoa butter) is removed. The mixture is then ground.

There is also ‘Dutch-processed’ or alkalised cocoa, which is made from beans treated with a potassium solution that neutralises their acidity and gives them a milder flavour. This one is the one most easily available in the UK. If I want cocoa powder for an American cake recipe I have to go on a scavenger hunt as the two types don't behave the same in the cake mixture (affects the raising agent). I can sometimes buy Hershey's in one shop in the area but they haven't been able to get it for some months - is Hersheys on a "go-slow"?

In the UK we also have "drinking chocolate" which is cocoa powder with other ingredients, including sugar, to make up with hot milk (and whipped cream and marshmallows if you like:-D) for a hot drink. . This isn't usually used in cake making as the additions upset the sugar ratio in a cake mixture requiring cocoa powder.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I will take milk chocolate over dark any day.
Some of that dark chocolate is awful bitter and has little taste IMO.
I want my chocolate sweet. Otherwise whats the point of having it.

Tags
chocolate, milk, sweet