"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
bread is a tough one. it's taste, aroma, and contrasting texture rolled into one.

i try to think of things in a historical perspective. carbs are for people who do physical work all day long to keep them going. if ypu're less physical work, you need less carbs. egyptians invented beer to build the pyramids, as it were.

protein is expensive, thereby smaller portions are to be savored, not eaten in gluttony. be kind to your tasty animals.

and then there's fresh, raw veggies. ypu can eat them all day long, as much as you want for the most part.

i've come to eating 1 meal a day of just raw veggies (carrots, celery, peppers, broccoli, leafy salad, etc.) and to make them filling, i eat them with something like very spicy hummus, pickled veg, or low/no calorie dressing.

in just changing my diet as such (without a change in physical activity) i've lost 20 lbs., and have my bp under control.

now, if i can find the time to exercise in ways that i used to enjoy, i'll really be on my way.
I found that switching my "big meal" to breakfast and eating a snack of veggies/yogurt/cottage cheese to my evening meal (I can't fall asleep if I'm hungry), cutting out white sugar and white rice, and omitting bread (I love bread) for the most part, let me shrink 2 sizes in about 3 months. I also make sure that veggies make up 2/3 of my plate and weigh my protein (meat). I also have added legumes to my diet 3x/week and go vegetarian (Indian) at least 7-8 meals (lunch, breakfast) a week. I do eat a bigger meal in the evening if I have someone around to eat with me. I also do not keep any snack food in the house except cheese, nuts, raisins, fresh veggies, fruit. The only other snack food I have around is popcorn. It is amazing how these little lifestyle changes can have a big benefit. And, I've added some weight lifting to my routine and run up and down the stairs a LOT right now since the woodstove (and washer) are in the basement.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
bread is a tough one. it's taste, aroma, and contrasting texture rolled into one.

i try to think of things in a historical perspective. carbs are for people who do physical work all day long to keep them going. if ypu're less physical work, you need less carbs. egyptians invented beer to build the pyramids, as it were.

protein is expensive, thereby smaller portions are to be savored, not eaten in gluttony. be kind to your tasty animals.

and then there's fresh, raw veggies. ypu can eat them all day long, as much as you want for the most part.

i've come to eating 1 meal a day of just raw veggies (carrots, celery, peppers, broccoli, leafy salad, etc.) and to make them filling, i eat them with something like very spicy hummus, pickled veg, or low/no calorie dressing.

in just changing my diet as such (without a change in physical activity) i've lost 20 lbs., and have my bp under control.

now, if i can find the time to exercise in ways that i used to enjoy, i'll really be on my way.
When you are looking for a way to excercise, start small. In a short while, the weather will start to be better. Walk with your son to his scout meetings, or his Little League games. A mile is really not that long. And having your son with you will make it so much easier. You already know that you enjoy the time you get to spend with him. Make a game of it. Run a half block, walk a half block. Set goals for the both of you. Run from here to there. I bet he will beat you every time. Make it a fun time for the both of you. And don't forget the two of you have to walk back home. Anything you do that is not a part of your regular day is excercise. Just do it with more energy. And every so often, leave the car at home.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When you are looking for a way to excercise, start small. In a short while, the weather will start to be better. Walk with your son to his scout meetings, or his Little League games. A mile is really not that long. And having your son with you will make it so much easier. You already know that you enjoy the time you get to spend with him. Make a game of it. Run a half block, walk a half block. Set goals for the both of you. Run from here to there. I bet he will beat you every time. Make it a fun time for the both of you. And don't forget the two of you have to walk back home. Anything you do that is not a part of your regular day is excercise. Just do it with more energy. And every so often, leave the car at home.
Take the stairs instead of the elevator. I park at the back of the parking lot (farthest from the door) when I go to the grocery store/bank/etc. I used to have to spend a lot of time on conference calls. I would pace if I didn't have to do anything on the computer for the meeting. If the weather was nice, I'd go outside and pace up and down on my deck; if not, I did "laps" around the main floor of my house while on the call instead of sitting down.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Take the stairs instead of the elevator. I park at the back of the parking lot (farthest from the door) when I go to the grocery store/bank/etc. I used to have to spend a lot of time on conference calls. I would pace if I didn't have to do anything on the computer for the meeting. If the weather was nice, I'd go outside and pace up and down on my deck; if not, I did "laps" around the main floor of my house while on the call instead of sitting down.
I forgot about the elevator.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

great advice, everyone.

addie, have you ever heard of the scout "pace". to even things out for boys of all athletic ability, you jog 50 paces, then walk 50 paces, then jog 50 paces, and so on. you'd be surprised at how fast you get to where you're going.

the pack or troop stays together, and the "older" leaders really appreciate it for a multitude of reasons, lol.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
great advice, everyone.

addie, have you ever heard of the scout "pace". to even things out for boys of all athletic ability, you jog 50 paces, then walk 50 paces, then jog 50 paces, and so on. you'd be surprised at how fast you get to where you're going.

the pack or troop stays together, and the "older" leaders really appreciate it for a multitude of reasons, lol.
Yes I have bt. When my youngest was in scouts, he was always the one who would help the younger and less able ones. He was never one who had to win no matter what. At 13 y.o. he was already 5'10" tall. The younger kids thought it was great that they always beat him. Sometimes he would pick up the smallest one and run with him so he could be up front.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

For me it's checking my blood glucose readings often each day. Doing this for years has taught me about how my body works and uses the carbs and how much of them, i can use. just got my monthly bg value from dialysis and it was 79 for me a good thing.
so if you have a meter and strips use them please you will be glad for it.f you haven't got a meter and strips talk to you endo about getting one.
kades
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I am so bad about checking my sugar. I go to Winthrop once a month so they can check my vitals. I print out my sugar readings and bring it with me so they can enter them into their computer. I download them to my computer and then print them out. You would think that there would be at least 30 readings I turn in. No, not me. I just checked it now only because of your post. The last one was on the 17th. I usually check it if I am not feeling well. I know when it is to high or low. I can feel it. Winthrop will be lucky if the get five readings from me when I go in March. I keep the meter and strips right next to my bed. They are in a small basket with some other stuff like my nail clippers, my inhaler, etc. I use most of the stuff in there daily. So I see the meter and strips. I just look past them. I need to put up a big sign where I will see it that says;

CHECK YOUR SUGAR READINGS
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I check daily.

Shrek is down to every other day...HIS blood sugars have been stable.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

My aunt was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was about 6 years old, in the 50s. My dad always said she lived as long as she did because she checked her sugar 4 times a day before it was recommended to do that. Keeping tight control is the key to avoiding complications, like kidney disease and nerve damage.