"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking
Old 01-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I am following this thread very closely. As you all know, my 11 year old grandson has type I diabetes. As a growing boy, he's supposed to be able to eat some sweets as long as he has a big enough insulin shot.

So...for his birthday, we got him a pizza, and my daughter got him an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. (You should try one, they are delicious!)
So first of all, he got real excited when he opened his b'day card and found a $100 bill inside, so his glucose went up to 264. Daughter fixed him up a big insulin shot, which he stuck in his belly, and then he went on to eat pizza and ice cream cake.
By the time he got ready to go to bed, his glucose was up to 516, and he almost had to go to the hospital. Fortunately, his mother knew how to handle the situation, but he has to accept that he just can't eat that stuff.

I would love to give my daughter some good recipes, and will certainly send the carrot cake on!

Do we have one for chocolate cake?
my goodness, that is scary. so glad it turned out ok. tell him i said happy birthday .

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
Master Chef
for 12 wafers

125g Margarine
TL liquid sweetener
2 Vanilla beans, the marrow (?)
1dash Salt
4 eggs
250g flour
1tl baking powder
1/2 cup Buttermilk

In large mixing bowl, cream margarine with sweetener, vanilla, eggs and salt until light and fluffy.
Mix flour and bakingpowder.
Add in turns the flour and the buttermilk until you get a thin fluid batter.
bake in waffle iron as directed

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
Senior Cook
If I remember correcty the nutritional needs of a type 1 diabetes individual (usually diagnosed in childhood) compared with a type 2 (normally adult and capable of being controlled by diet or pills) are very different and should not be confused.

Get expert advice rather than relyng on the anecdotes of messageboard members!

archiduc is offline   Reply With Quote