Plain diabetic cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turando

Cook
Hi,

My dad is diabetic and I'd like to make a cake for him to have with tea. He only likes plain cakes not chocolate or ones with fruit etc. So I'm guessing some kind of plainish tea cake etc. He likes light fluffyish cakes. Does anyone have any recipes for something like that? I have already bought splenda granular and had a look around for recipes but most of them seem to be for cakes with extras in it.

Just to add I prefer to use wholemeal flour or a mix of all puprose and wholemeal :)

Thankyou!

It should work with almost every recipe, just substitute the sugar with fruitsugar and reduce the heat...

This makes a very good snacking cake and doesn't really have to be topped with anything, though an icing made from cream cheese, and splenda owuld be very good on it.

Carrot Cake

Ingredients:

¾ cup Sunflower Oil
3/4 cup water if not including the pineapple or 1/2 cup if you include it
2 cups Splenda
3 large eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup crushed pineapple & 1/8 cup of the pineapple juice (Optional)

Preheat the oven to 350’ F.
Grease & flour a suitable rectangular 12 “ cake pan .
Combine the sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly until smooth. Fold in the crushed pineapple and pineapple juice. Stir in until well mixed. Pour into the prepared cake pan and place the pan into the oven. Bake for 1 hour. Test by inserting a clean steel butter-knife into the cake center. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done.

Place on a cooking rack and let cool to room temperature.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thankyou :) I will try the carrot cake out for him tomorrow. does the oil have to be sunflower oil or can I use canola or vegetable oil instead?

Thankyou :) I will try the carrot cake out for him tomorrow. does the oil have to be sunflower oil or can I use canola or vegetable oil instead?

You can use vegetable or canola if you prefer. It won't make a difference. I use sunflower as it is one of the healthier oils, but without the flavor of the nut oils, or avocado or olive oil. I hope you enjoy this recipe.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks babetoo will check it out :)

Goodweed of the Nort - I made the cake today (left out the pineapple/juice part) and it was a hit :) Even DH liked it a lot. I am going to make another one tomorrow now for my MIL and FIL who are also diabetic. Thankyou!

Thanks babetoo will check it out :)

Goodweed of the Nort - I made the cake today (left out the pineapple/juice part) and it was a hit :) Even DH liked it a lot. I am going to make another one tomorrow now for my MIL and FIL who are also diabetic. Thankyou!

You are very welcome. It was my pleasure.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I am following this thread very closely. As you all know, my 11 year old grandson has type I diabetes. As a growing boy, he's supposed to be able to eat some sweets as long as he has a big enough insulin shot.

So...for his birthday, we got him a pizza, and my daughter got him an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. (You should try one, they are delicious!)
So first of all, he got real excited when he opened his b'day card and found a $100 bill inside, so his glucose went up to 264. Daughter fixed him up a big insulin shot, which he stuck in his belly, and then he went on to eat pizza and ice cream cake.
By the time he got ready to go to bed, his glucose was up to 516, and he almost had to go to the hospital. Fortunately, his mother knew how to handle the situation, but he has to accept that he just can't eat that stuff.

I would love to give my daughter some good recipes, and will certainly send the carrot cake on!

Do we have one for chocolate cake?

I am following this thread very closely. As you all know, my 11 year old grandson has type I diabetes. As a growing boy, he's supposed to be able to eat some sweets as long as he has a big enough insulin shot.

So...for his birthday, we got him a pizza, and my daughter got him an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. (You should try one, they are delicious!)
So first of all, he got real excited when he opened his b'day card and found a $100 bill inside, so his glucose went up to 264. Daughter fixed him up a big insulin shot, which he stuck in his belly, and then he went on to eat pizza and ice cream cake.
By the time he got ready to go to bed, his glucose was up to 516, and he almost had to go to the hospital. Fortunately, his mother knew how to handle the situation, but he has to accept that he just can't eat that stuff.

I would love to give my daughter some good recipes, and will certainly send the carrot cake on!

Do we have one for chocolate cake?

my goodness, that is scary. so glad it turned out ok. tell him i said happy birthday .

Buttermilkwafers
for 12 wafers

125g Margarine
¾ TL liquid sweetener
2 Vanilla beans, the marrow (?)
1dash Salt
4 eggs
250g flour
1tl baking powder
1/2 cup Buttermilk

In large mixing bowl, cream margarine with sweetener, vanilla, eggs and salt until light and fluffy.
Mix flour and bakingpowder.
Add in turns the flour and the buttermilk until you get a thin fluid batter.
bake in waffle iron as directed

If I remember correcty the nutritional needs of a type 1 diabetes individual (usually diagnosed in childhood) compared with a type 2 (normally adult and capable of being controlled by diet or pills) are very different and should not be confused.

Get expert advice rather than relyng on the anecdotes of messageboard members!

Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom