"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

Really Heavy Sigh

WEll, after 20+ years of being diabetic, my potassium levels went too high and I ended up in the hospital for a few days, to get it back down. Now I have to go on a kidney freindly diet of low sodium, low potassium foods. Do you know how may great foods are high in potassium? At the top are white beans, black beans, tomato sauce, spinach, whole grains, cantelope, all of the tropical fruits, kiwi, nuts and most seeds, rutabagas, Sweet potatoes, potatoes, and the list goes on. Fortunately, fruits native to the U.S., except apricots, and berries are good for me to eat.

Anybody with great food ideas, I'm all ears. Of course I can make pasta dishes with herbs and spices, meat, not salamiies and such though, eggs, and allowed veggies. I ca make deserts with gelatin, fruits, white flour, nnon-dairy whipped toppings, and such. I've been blessed with the cooking know-how to eat well, even on a restricted diet.k But now baked beans, pea soup, or spaghetti with tomato sauce, it's almost unthinkable. And what about those lovely home made bbq sauces I've always made... What about my Raginng Bull Salsa? I have to fid a way to make it without tomato!

Kidneys, when treated properly, can heal mto a certain degree. It breaks my heart though, to see all of these adds selling products, or books that promise to cure kidney desease. I assume they are snake oil, designed only to fattern the bank accounts of Those selling the products.

In any case, this is me, relearning how to eat healthy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:11 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Good luck with the new diet Chief. I'm sure you are up for the challenge. And god bedring (good bettering in Danish).

Old 06-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Eons ago during the health boom days, an elderly guy at the beach with us said that eating too many bananas wasn't necessarily a good thing, noting that bananas are high in potassium. I kinda sluffed him off, thinking, bananas must be good for all! I didn't quite get the potassium connection at that time. That old guy was right, to a degree.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Chief, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I have no doubt with your ingenuity and food knowledge you will manage your new diet to a "T".
Old 06-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I was placed in a similar situation about a year ago.
Had some blood work done, cholesterol and triglyerides were high ( which I kinda expected) but my sugar was high too, placing me in the diabetes range. Doc told me I had to change my diet immediately, severely cutting carbs from my diet. Being a vegetarian, that kinda crippled me by eliminating many of my options or go to foods. Luckily, with my ability to cook and the internet, I was able to get creative and fill my 'new diet' with many other options. There were a lot of trial and errors, a lot of stuff Id never ever ever ( did i say never ever..? ) ever ever again, but , after 3 months of a very strict diet, I gotall my level back into the ' within normal limits' range. luckily my situation was a diet controlled and semi reversible situation. Now, I limit myself to much fewer high carb meals and keep a closer watchful eye on my intake, but last least I know I have control of the situation to some extent.

Sorry to hear about your newfound medical/ diet situation, but im sure your creativity and the help of others will give you more options.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Eons ago during the health boom days, an elderly guy at the beach with us said that eating too many bananas wasn't necessarily a good thing, noting that bananas are high in potassium. I kinda sluffed him off, thinking, bananas must be good for all! I didn't quite get the potassium connection at that time. That old guy was right, to a degree.
That elderly man was right on the mark. Every time my legs start to get cramps in my calf, I just eat one or two bananas and the cramping stops for about another month and a half. This was told to me by my doctor. He had some blood work from my physical, and told me that my potassium was a little on the high side. I told him I had eaten a couple of bananas just before I came to see him. He asked me why two bananas. That is when he said one a day should be enough. Just don't overdo it. Now I save those bananas for when I really need them. Only when my legs cramps in the calves.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That elderly man was right on the mark. Every time my legs start to get cramps in my calf, I just eat one or two bananas and the cramping stops for about another month and a half. This was told to me by my doctor. He had some blood work from my physical, and told me that my potassium was a little on the high side. I told him I had eaten a couple of bananas just before I came to see him. He asked me why two bananas. That is when he said one a day should be enough. Just don't overdo it. Now I save those bananas for when I really need them. Only when my legs cramps in the calves.
If you eat them regularly, you won't get the cramps at all.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Good Luck for the future Chief. I have faith that you can do it. After all, you have been living with a diabetic diet all these years, so this is just one more little obstacle has been set in your path.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, Chief. I've had to make adjustments to my diet a few times. I know it's frustrating, but you have the know-how to do it.

I hope your DW is doing well. Take care.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Actually Addie, the old guy way back when was implying too much potassium is bad for some. Everyone dismissed his assertion.
Eating lots of bananas are health food, high in potassium ! Not for some. Unhealthly levels of potassium in their system is not a good thing.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote